1. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

We've recently made changes to the storage location/path and core configuration for Oxide that will hopefully fix a few issues some hosts and server owners were facing when using shared paths.

To start with, the 'oxide' directory is now created and located under your game server's root location by default. This change goes along with the pattern that most of the games we support and makes it more obvious where you'd look for Oxide-related files. With this change, we've also removed the "InstanceCommandLines" portion of the oxide.core.json config file, but you can still override the path where the 'oxide' folder location is by using the +oxide.directory "path/to/oxide" command-line argument.

If you provide or run a Rust server and you'd like to use the same setup as before, you can add +oxide.directory "server/{server.identity}/oxide" to your command-line to have the 'oxide' folder placed under your Rust server's identity directory.

We've also changed the where the oxide.core.json file is located. You can now find this file under the new 'oxide' directory location instead of your server's root install location.

Lastly, if you run a "vanilla" Rust server (only running plugins meant for admin use, nothing that affects gameplay or makes server appear to be modded), you can make use of the "Modded" setting to have your server listed under the Community tab in the Rust client. Keep in mind that Facepunch may change what is allowed under this section, so use at your own risk.

Configuration example:
    Code:
    {
        "Options": {
            "Modded": true,
            "DefaultGroups": {
                "Players": "default",
                "Administrators": "admin"
            }
        },
        "OxideConsole": {
            "Enabled": true,
            "MinimalistMode": true,
            "ShowStatusBar": true,
            "ShowStacktraces": false
        },
        "OxideRcon": {
            "Enabled": false,
            "Port": 25580,
            "Password": "",
            "ChatPrefix": "[Server Console]"
        }
    }

2. What exactly is the "Modded" option for? Does it allow people to put their server into the Community tab?

3. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Yes, but keep in mind that Facepunch only allows "admin tools" (doesn't affect gameplay or appear to not be vanilla), so use at your own risk.

4. Okay thanks for clearing that up. Seems like some people may abuse this though :/

5. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

People already abuse the Community, not really something new. Facepunch allows it, so it's up to server owners.

6. Yes i know people already abuse it, but at least it was harder than just changing 1 option in a config file

7. Hi, any chance you can clarify on the +oxide.directory "server/{server.identity}/oxide" bit? What exactly is the command I should enter? I've moved my plugins to the new folders and now ALL the plugin data (home teleport data, plugin permissions) has been removed. So now I'm trying to move the plugins back to the old folder and run this command to make them work. This, sadly, is in hopes of recovering my permissions & plugin data (probably won't work). Can you help me with this command to enter?

8. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

The entire oxide folder was moved, so you'd need to more more than just your plugins if you want to use the new path. The +oxide.directory is something you'd place in your startup script or command-line if you want to use a different path like the old.

9. Thank you for your reply. To be clear, I really don't understand the +oxide.directory bit. What does that mean? Am I to enter this into my server console?

+oxide.directory "server/{server.identity}/oxide"

Sorry if that's a dumb question. I entered that and nothing happened. Desperately trying to fix this.

10. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

If you are self-hosting, you have a script that you run to start the server. That line is added to there if you want to change the path.

11. Thanks for taking the time.

12. LGSM people are screwed currently

13. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Why would they? It doesn't set the path for plugins or Oxide, not any different than the Windows layout.

14. I am hosted on GameServers and this is resulting in major downtime for me.

15. Fragnet, have no way of using the +oxide.directory option.

16. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

You'd need to contact your host to allow command-line access else update the locations you can access.

You'd need to contact the host then.

17. Can you please elaborate? I am new to all of this. Not a seasoned veteran. I have no idea what you're talking about.

18. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

If your server is not setup properly and you do not have full access to it you'd need to open a ticket with your host.

19. Telling them what?

20. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

You can refer them to this thread and they should be able to work from that.