Duel AKA Wager of Battle

Players can duel one another for money, winner gets the cash

Total Downloads: 651 - First Release: Feb 26, 2016 - Last Update: Jan 9, 2017

5/5, 4 likes
  1. First of all, fantastic plugin. Plugins like these show some hope in keeping Hurtworld alive despite the dwindling player base between updates. I just have some suggestions and issues to mention. I would love to see some type of system where you can only have 1 duel at a time to prevent multiple duels overlapping each other and leading to players getting confused and killing the wrong person, messing everything up. Either this or adding the ability to add more than 1 duel location for each player. Also, I've noticed that the plugin will randomly stop working and I will have to reload it in order to get the commands working again. Because of this I usually only enable dueling for a short period of time and announce it to the server before it starts bugging out and I have to disable it. I don't have the error log right now, but once I enable it again I'll post it. Also, I'm not sure if this a problem with BetterChat or what since I have yet to take a look at the source code but it doesn't actually show the amount of money a player is betting, it just says ${money}. Leading off of this, I would also recommend adding the ability in the config file to enable player names on requests, so instead of just saying a player wants to duel you it actually states their name. Adding on to this, since you are able to have multiple duel requests at once it would be nice to be able to accept a duel request from a certain player in case you don't want to accept one of the requests made before it. A feature many of my players suggest is either to disable losing items for the loser of the duel (possibly by ending the duel once a player reaches a certain amount of health unless there is a better way) or by letting the winner stay at the arena for about 10-20 seconds extra in order to collect the loot and then tp them away.

To sum it up:
    Recommendations
    -More than 1 duel area or only allow 1 duel at a time to prevent duel overlapping (my server is usually populated with around 30-50 players who actively use and love duels, so this is a big issue for me)
    -Adding the ability to see the name of the player requesting to duel you
    -If you have more than 1 duel request, add the ability to accept a certain one by the name of the player
    -Loser of duel doesn't lose items (by tping before death or another way if possible) or the winner of the duel stays an extra 10-20sec (or customizable time) to collect loot before being tp'ed away

Bugs
    -Plugin randomly stops working (will post error logs once I run the plugin again)
    -Doesn't show the amount of money the player is requesting to bet, shows {money} instead (could be a BetterChat issue)
    -When a player in a duel is killed by someone they aren't dueling, the duel still technically goes on and things start getting buggy (can be fixed by only allowing 1 duel at a time or multiple arenas as suggested)

I will post any other things I see or suggestions I get from my players. My players absolutely love this plugin and were using it non-stop when it was added, so I'm really looking forward to the development of it!

2. @Kolvin Thank you very much for the kind words. And taking the time to write such a detailed post.

Recommendations:
    - For the time being I will implement only 1 duel at a time as a "quick fix", I will then later create a better multiple dueling support.
    - I will add this.
    - I will add this as well, should have done this from the get go.
    - I never took into consideration that dropped items will get lost, I will add a timer to allow the player to collect the loot before telleporting.

Bugs:
    - Once you get the log when this is happening, I will investigate, in the meantime I will just make sure everything is ok in the code.
    - I will investigate why this is happening, might be that I made a typo.

Thanks again.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1456774562][/DOUBLEPOST]@Kolvin
    Here you go, I will add a fix for multiple duels tomorrow
    [DOUBLEPOST=1456821798,1456771976][/DOUBLEPOST]@Kolvin Here is the version that address all issues and recommendations

3. I really appreciate the fast response time and dedication you have to your plugins and user concerns. I'll update the plugin immediately since my players have been dying for duels again. It was such a hit originally that there were between 4-5 duels going on at once all the time, so I had to temporarily disable it since there were some trolls and confused players killing the wrong person and messing it up. Ever since disabling it they've been asking when the update will come so they can duel again. As far as the plugin randomly not working, I realized that may have not been the case and I admit I'm a bit stupid for not realizing that it was most likely due to me reloading the plugin multiple times and previous duel requests remaining and then the players not teleporting properly. I'll check if this is for sure it, but I didn't have any problems yesterday when I didn't reload the plugin. I still haven't looked at the source code, so I'm not entirely sure how your functions work and if duel requests save in a file that is still active after a reload, the player relogs, etc.

One new recommendation my players have brought up that you may be already considering is adding the ability to wager items instead of just money. Many of my players have been doing "risks" instead of betting money by bringing valuable items with them as a bet that the winner would receive. They would have to collect this by redueling though since they are immediately teleported away, so there is a major trust factor there with whether one player would bring what they said and if they would reduel to get their items without killing them, so implementing an item-based bet would be fantastic. This could technically be somewhat fixed with allowing the winner to stay to loot the items, however there is the trust factor as I've mentioned that could be an issue as you don't actually know that your opponent is going to stick to their side of the bet, so adding item wagering would guarantee a fair bet.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1456864304][/DOUBLEPOST]@Pho3niX90 I just found a little typo bug. Lets say a player declines my duel request, it says "The Kolvin has declined the duel." and I'm not sure if you wanted it to say "(Other player name) has declines the duel." or "The player has declined the duel." Since you used {player} I'm assuming that's what threw you off and you saw it as 'The player'. Also, with the hotfix for the multiple duels at once, if a player leaves the server or teleports away from the arena the duel still technically goes on, so the "Winner" config stays 0 and the "Accepted" 1, so no one can duel until that duel has technically ended since you have it check for those 2 pieces of data. I'm not sure this is a huge problem to you since you are working on multiple arenas right now, but an onPlayerDisconnect function or 5 minute timer of sorts could fix this issue for the time being. Cheers!

4. @Kolvin
    Thanks again for the suggestions. I originally wasn't going to add item wagering. BUT, the reasoning that you gave to why it's needed makes me reconsider this and does make a lot of sense. I will add this feature once the multiple arena has been done. As for the typo I have fixed it this morning and will post the update shortly.

For the bigger bug regarding duels. That is something I have considered, adding a timer of 5 minutes for a duel to end. This will eliminate duel carrying on for days and causing chaos. I will implement this in the next update.

5. Pho3niX90 updated Duel AKA Wager of Battle with a new update entry:

6. It is possible to bet $ 0 for a fight , this is it normal?

7. Yes it is possible.

8. HELP PLEASE !!!
    FIXE PROBLEM PLUGIN
    IMG -> Screenshot

9. Hi. Can you help me with this? upload_2016-6-18_9-51-49.png
    Yesterday I have tried to solve this by deleting that part with success, but than another problem showed up.
    Any idea?
    Thanks

10. tryed this got unknown command some1 tell me if this is broken??

if it is please update like to have this!!

11. @Wulf Can I have this one back :) Need to update

12. Changelog 0.1.2 (Untested)

• Fixed references to make plugin work again.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2016
  13. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Got for it.

14. Pho3niX90 updated Duel AKA Wager of Battle with a new update entry:

15. Failed to call hook 'OnServerInitialized' on plugin Duel v0.1.2

16. Are you using the plugin with Hurtworld or another game?

17. sorry to bother me I had not downloaded the Economy Banks v1.5.51, already solved the error :)

18. anyway to set infamous off for duels ?

19. Second this, I feel like a mini game / side PVP system shouldn't affect the players after they finish the battle.
    This plugin is incredible, good job and thank you!