1. remote gui i believe..anyway I dont want to mess up it anymore maybe someone will do a more detailed guide for it

2. Alright, but your issue is basically with x2go, not wine or rust. You can verify by trying to run another graphical app like xclock and its probably going to give you the same message (if its installed).

3. x2go is just a client i use on windows, on the remote linux dedi its setup with xfce ... by default ovh setup it in the installation with ubuntu 14, so its not something i've installed and configured.

anyway following the setup stuff on the first page i had it working via ssh putty on user steam acccount...

i just dont know enough about whats gone wrong with it now, and how to fix it

" You can verify by trying to run another graphical app like xclock and its probably going to give you the same message (if its installed)."

like via x2go and run on the desktop user? where I do have a remote gui... what if I install steam/rust to the desktop user account

4. Hi,
    After reinstall my server with an Ubuntu distribution, I still have an error with the display drivers...

Code:
    fixme:ole:RemUnknown_QueryInterface No interface for iid {00000019-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
    Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
    Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
    Could not load wine-gecko. HTML rendering will be disabled.
    Could not load wine-gecko. HTML rendering will be disabled.
    wine: configuration in '/root/.wine' has been updated.
    -su: xvfb-run: command not found

Any solution for servers without video card ?

EDIT :
    With this command :
    WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine64 wine RustDedicated.exe -batchmode -load

Code:
    fixme:ole:RemUnknown_QueryInterface No interface for iid {00000019-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
    fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x350000 0 0x23fce0 4 stub
    fixme:system:SetProcessDPIAware stub!
    fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x1bf0000 0 0x23f160 4 stub
    Mono path[0] = 'Z:/home/rust/rust/RustDedicated_Data/Managed'
    Mono path[1] = 'Z:/home/rust/rust/RustDedicated_Data/Mono'
    Mono config path = 'Z:/home/rust/rust/RustDedicated_Data/Mono/etc'
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x23f220,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),1,0x23f220,0x00000000), stub!

Or with the command specified at the beginning of the script (in commentary) :

Code:
    Mono path[0] = 'Z:/home/rust/rust/RustDedicated_Data/Managed'
    Mono path[1] = 'Z:/home/rust/rust/RustDedicated_Data/Mono'
    Mono config path = 'Z:/home/rust/rust/RustDedicated_Data/Mono/etc'
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW (L"\\\\.\\DISPLAY1",0,0x23f220,0x00000000), stub!
    err:pulse:pulse_contextcallback Context failed: Connection refused
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
    ALSA lib conf.c:4259:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
    ALSA lib conf.c:4259:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
    ALSA lib conf.c:4259:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib conf.c:4738:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
    ALSA lib conf.c:4259:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib conf.c:4259:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib conf.c:4259:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib conf.c:4738:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
    fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
    fixme:console:AttachConsole stub ffffffff
    fixme:wbemprox:client_security_SetBlanket 0x7f7624f8cfa0, 0x94ca0, 10, 0, (null), 3, 3, (nil), 0x00000000
    fixme:wbemprox:client_security_Release 0x7f7624f8cfa0
    fixme:wbemprox:wbem_services_CreateInstanceEnum unsupported flags 0x00000030
    fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl The DISK_PARTITION_INFO and DISK_DETECTION_INFO structures will not be filled

And it's blocking here... I need to Ctrl+C to cancel.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2015
  5. Hardwithporc, if its working, its going to stop printing around that point. Any output from the rust server would only be shown in the GUI, and xvfb-run basically blocks the GUI from actually showing (because you don't have one). The GUI isn't really necessary, but you're going to have to try an rcon client or try telnetting to the port after its been running a minute to see if its accepting connections. Basically, if you look at top and look at the CPU usage of the process, its going to be about 100% while its booting up, and about 50% if its running correctly after boot up. If you see it lower to almost nothing, it might indicate you have a problem.

6. OMG You were right ! I've modified the command line a little bit and the process is launching with a big CPU usage. The server is really on and I can connect with RCON (with Rusty) but I can't see it in Rust Server Browser...

EDIT :
    IT'S WORKING :D ! I found my server and I'm in game now ! Thank you Scavenger :) Next step, install Oxide !

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2015
  7. Koolio,

You have two basic choices, you can try running from the desktop as the desktop user for testing purposes, but if you want to run it from ssh, you are going to have to make it run without the gui using xvfb-run like other people did.

The way you are trying to do it now might work, but I'm not sure anyone else is doing it that way, so your chances of getting help are low.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2015
  8. When I try to launch the server I got a fatal error from wine.

GetThreadContext failed

After it, wine crash

Internal errors - invalid parameters received

9. I have good and bad news about that error. I have two VPS's that worked fine, and one that got this error. After knocking my head against the wall, I only have a slight idea what the problem is. I did notice the VPS that wasn't working was Ubuntu 15 with a custom kernel installed by the VPS provider. The systems that were working were Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with stock Ubuntu kernels.

I ended up reimaging the machine to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, and saw an option to choose the original kernel. I got past the error but it's giving me other headaches now and I'm not in the mood to look at it further.

10. I try with 4 different versions of ubuntu, 2 of debian and always the same error =(

Its can be ovh?

11. My problem was at ovh too. Reimage and go to advanced. try ubuntu 14.04 WITHOUT the custom kernel. They have some special one that they install by default. I'm not sure, but it could have something to do with link "What is the 'ptrace_scope' workaround for Wine programs and are there any risks?" When I looked, /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope didn't even exist with that kernel. (On my other VPS's, it's 1 and seems to be fine.)

Update: After changing to the stock ubuntu kernel on OVH, I did eventually get it working. I was still having other issues, so I had noticed ubuntu updates were being retrieved from OVH so I had changed to stock ubuntu ones and did a dist upgrade. I was still having problems so I installed wine-gecko2.40 and it finally started working properly. Tested with vanilla and oxide.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    As a side note the basic steps to take on a new stock ubuntu system:

#set up wine 1.7
    sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get -y install wine1.7 winetricks
    sudo apt-get -y install wine-gecko2.40
    sudo apt-get -y install xvfb

#set up steam
    sudo apt-get -y install libc6-amd64 ;#steam requires this
    sudo useradd -m steam
    sudo usermod -aG sudo steam ;#Add steam to user group sudo
    sudo passwd steam ;#set a password so you can sudo later
    sudo su - steam
    mkdir ~/steamcmd
    cd ~/steamcmd
    wget https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/client/installer/steamcmd_linux.tar.gz
    tar -xvzf steamcmd_linux.tar.gz
    ./steamcmd.sh +quit

#downloading rust server is something like
    /home/steam/steamcmd/steamcmd.sh +\@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType windows +login anonymous +force_install_dir /home/steam/s/rust +app_update 258550 validate -beta experimental +quit

#getting and installing oxide is something like
    cd /home/steam/s/rust
    wget -O Oxide-Rust.zip https://github.com/OxideMod/Snapshots/blob/master/Oxide-Rust.zip?raw=true
    unzip
    -o Oxide-Rust.zip

#starting a server is something like (with correct IP)
    cd /home/steam/s/rust
    wineboot --update
    WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine64 /usr/bin/xvfb-run --auto-servernum --server-args='-screen 0 640x480x24:32' /usr/bin/wine RustDedicated -batchmode -load +rcon.ip 1.2.3.4 +rcon.port 5558 +rcon.password mypassword +server.hostname 'Test Server' +server.port 5557 +server.identity myserver +server.maxplayers 100 +server.seed 5551212 +server.globalchat True +server.worldsize 3000 -autoupdate

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2015
  12. When i try to start the server with wine it gives me this

[​IMG]

Trying in putty with wine64 RustDedicated.exe i get this

Code:
    fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x16b0000 0 0x159fce0 4 stub
    fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x3230000 0 0x159f150 4 stub
    Mono path[0] = 'Z:/home/giogimic/Desktop/server/RustDedicated_Data/Managed'
    Mono path[1] = 'Z:/home/giogimic/Desktop/server/RustDedicated_Data/Mono'
    Mono config path = 'Z:/home/giogimic/Desktop/server/RustDedicated_Data/Mono/etc'
    err:user:load_desktop_driver failed to load L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winex11.drv                                                                                                             "
    err:user:load_desktop_driver failed to load L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winex11.drv                                                                                                             "
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x159f210,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),1,0x159f210,0x00000000), stub!
    Crash!!!
    SymInit: Symbol-SearchPath: '.;Z:\home\giogimic\Desktop\server;Z:\home\giogimic\                                                                                                             Desktop\server;C:\windows;C:\windows\system32;SRV*c:\websymbols*http://msdl.micr                                                                                                             osoft.com/download/symbols;', symOptions: 530, UserName: 'giogimic'
    OS-Version: 5.2.3790 (Service Pack 2) 0x0-0x1========== OUTPUTING STACK TRACE ==================SymInit: Symbol-SearchPath: '.;Z:\home\giogimic\Desktop\server;Z:\home\giogimic\                                                                                                             Desktop\server;C:\windows;C:\windows\system32;SRV*c:\websymbols*http://msdl.micr                                                                                                             osoft.com/download/symbols;', symOptions: 530, UserName: 'giogimic'
    OS-Version: 5.2.3790 (Service Pack 2) 0x0-0x1
      ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Invalid address.' (Address: 0000000                                                                                                             00018A36B)
      ERROR: SymGetModuleInfo64, GetLastError: 'DLL initialization failed.' (Address                                                                                                             : 000000000018A36B)
    0x000000000018A36B ((<unknown>))
      ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Invalid address.' (Address: 0000000                                                                                                             000426BA7)
      ERROR: SymGetModuleInfo64, GetLastError: 'DLL initialization failed.' (Address                                                                                                             : 0000000000426BA7)
    0x0000000000426BA7 ((<unknown>))
      ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Invalid address.' (Address: 0000000                                                                                                             000839F64)
      ERROR: SymGetModuleInfo64, GetLastError: 'DLL initialization failed.' (Address                                                                                                             : 0000000000839F64)
    0x0000000000839F64 ((<unknown>))
    RtlLookupFunctionEntry returned NULL function. Aborting stack walk.
    ========== END OF STACKTRACE ===========**** Crash! ****
    wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000010 at address 0x18a36b (thr                                                                                                             ead 0029), starting debugger...
    Can't attach process 0028: error 5
    The explorer process failed to start.

Trying with the "Bare Start Script" in the tutorial above i get

Code:
    fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x3230000 0 0x159f150 4 stub
    Mono path[0] = 'Z:/home/giogimic/Desktop/server/RustDedicated_Data/Managed'
    Mono path[1] = 'Z:/home/giogimic/Desktop/server/RustDedicated_Data/Mono'
    Mono config path = 'Z:/home/giogimic/Desktop/server/RustDedicated_Data/Mono/etc'
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x159f210,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),1,0x159f210,0x00000000), stub!

13. Hi,
    I've followed your post Scavanger 2 (thanks u).
    But it still not working :(
    I'm on Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS with STOCK kernel at OVH

I launch the server with this command :
    Code:
    WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine64 /usr/bin/xvfb-run --auto-servernum --server-args='-screen 0 640x480x24:32' /usr/bin/wine /home/steam/s/rust/RustDedicated.exe -batchmode -load +rcon.ip 5.135.190.228 +rcon.port 48000 +rcon.password mypassword +server.hostname 'CUXAC' +server.port 28015 +server.identity myserver +server.maxplayers 100 +server.seed 5551212 +server.globalchat True +server.worldsize 3000 -autoupdate
    The CPU load 100% while 5/10 sec and stabilize at 50%
    In console i'm stuck at :
    Code:
    steam@ns3294444:~$ WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine64 /usr/bin/xvfb-run --auto-servernum --server-args='-screen 0 640x480x24:32' /usr/bin/wine /home/steam/s/rust/RustDedicated.exe -batchmode -load +rcon.ip 5.135.190.228 +rcon.port 48000 +rcon.password mypassword +server.hostname 'CUXAC' +server.port 28015 +server.identity myserver +server.maxplayers 100 +server.seed 5551212 +server.globalchat True +server.worldsize 3000 -autoupdate
    Mono path[0] = 'Z:/home/steam/s/rust/RustDedicated_Data/Managed'
    Mono path[1] = 'Z:/home/steam/s/rust/RustDedicated_Data/Mono'
    Mono config path = 'Z:/home/steam/s/rust/RustDedicated_Data/Mono/etc'
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW (L"\\\\.\\DISPLAY1",0,0x23f220,0x00000000), stub!
    err:pulse:pulse_contextcallback Context failed: Connexion refusée
    ALSA lib conf.c:4248:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
    ALSA lib conf.c:4248:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
    ALSA lib conf.c:4248:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
    ALSA lib conf.c:4727:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
    ALSA lib conf.c:4248:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
    ALSA lib conf.c:4248:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
    ALSA lib conf.c:4248:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
    ALSA lib conf.c:4727:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

I'm waiting 15 minutes but impossible to connect on Rusty or Rust :(
    Please help me :(

I've joined the "ouput_log.txt"
    Thanks
    [DOUBLEPOST=1445188425][/DOUBLEPOST]Hi,
    I've found !!!

Add :
    Code:
    -datadir "/home/steam/s/rust/RustDedicated_Data\\"
    in the command-line

Attached Files:

14. this server is only debian base or can I run it on CentOS?

15. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

You can run it on any Linux flavor, you just need the latest Wine version, not what comes with your OS.

16. Hello,

I tried installing a server with and without oxide. Just to see if it worked, I used the described method here:
    Wine for Linux setup for Rust | Oxide

It seems to start but then I get an ALSA lib error. and the server stops loading anything further.

the log is very small:
    Code:
    Initialize engine version: 5.2.2p2 (67d68477bb52)
    Forcing GfxDevice: Null
    NullGfxDevice:
        Version:  NULL 1.0 [1.0]
        Renderer: Null Device
        Vendor:   Unity Technologies
    Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
    Platform assembly: Z:\home\aron\rust\RustDedicated_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading Z:\home\aron\rust\RustDedicated_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: Z:\home\aron\rust\RustDedicated_Data\Managed\I18N.dll (this message is harmless)
    Platform assembly: Z:\home\aron\rust\RustDedicated_Data\Managed\I18N.West.dll (this message is harmless)

I tried several things to fix it but so far no luck.

my SSH log looks like:
    Code:
    aron@mitch528:~/rust$ WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine64 wine RustDedicated.exe -batchmode -load
    fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x3230000 0 0x159f160 4 stub
    Mono path[0] = 'Z:/home/aron/rust/RustDedicated_Data/Managed'
    Mono path[1] = 'Z:/home/aron/rust/RustDedicated_Data/Mono'
    Mono config path = 'Z:/home/aron/rust/RustDedicated_Data/Mono/etc'
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x159f220,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW (L"\\\\.\\DISPLAY1",0,0x159f220,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),1,0x159f220,0x00000000), stub!
    err:pulse:pulse_contextcallback Context failed: Connection refused
    ALSA lib conf.c:4248:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib conf.c:4248:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib conf.c:4248:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib conf.c:4727:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib conf.c:4248:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib conf.c:4248:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib conf.c:4248:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib conf.c:4727:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm totally lost.

Thank you
    [DOUBLEPOST=1448451644,1448406678][/DOUBLEPOST]Also found:
    Code:
    Unity Player [version: Unity 5.2.2p2_67d68477bb52]rustdedicated.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
      in module rustdedicated.exe at 0033:0018b83b.Error occurred at 2015-11-25_061108.
    Z:\home\aron\rust\rustdedicated.exe, run by aron.
    2% memory in use.
    4096 MB physical memory [4096 MB free].
    4096 MB paging file [-2048 MB free].
    4096 MB user address space [4096 MB free].
    Read from location 00000010 caused an access violation.
    Code:
    Crash!!!
    SymInit: Symbol-SearchPath: '.;Z:\home\aron\rust;Z:\home\aron\rust;C:\windows;C:\windows\system32;SRV*c:\websymbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols;', symOptions: 530, UserName: 'aron'
    OS-Version: 5.1.2600 (Service Pack 3) 0x0-0x1========== OUTPUTING STACK TRACE ==================SymInit: Symbol-SearchPath: '.;Z:\home\aron\rust;Z:\home\aron\rust;C:\windows;C:\windows\system32;SRV*c:\websymbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols;', symOptions: 530, UserName: 'aron'
    OS-Version: 5.1.2600 (Service Pack 3) 0x0-0x1
      ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Invalid address.' (Address: 000000000018B83B)
      ERROR: SymGetModuleInfo64, GetLastError: 'DLL initialisation failed.' (Address: 000000000018B83B)
    0x000000000018B83B ((<unknown>))
      ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Invalid address.' (Address: 000000000018B899)
      ERROR: SymGetModuleInfo64, GetLastError: 'DLL initialisation failed.' (Address: 000000000018B899)
    0x000000000018B899 ((<unknown>))
      ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Invalid address.' (Address: 000000000042621F)
      ERROR: SymGetModuleInfo64, GetLastError: 'DLL initialisation failed.' (Address: 000000000042621F)
    0x000000000042621F ((<unknown>))
      ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Invalid address.' (Address: 0000000000427755)
      ERROR: SymGetModuleInfo64, GetLastError: 'DLL initialisation failed.' (Address: 0000000000427755)
    0x0000000000427755 ((<unknown>))
      ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Invalid address.' (Address: 0000000000840ADC)
      ERROR: SymGetModuleInfo64, GetLastError: 'DLL initialisation failed.' (Address: 0000000000840ADC)
    0x0000000000840ADC ((<unknown>))
    RtlLookupFunctionEntry returned NULL function. Aborting stack walk.
    ========== END OF STACKTRACE ===========**** Crash! ****

17. @Wulf m-teleport, m-time etc are not working, aswell as all other .lua plugins. Is there a solution for this?
    All other plugins that are not lua work just fine.
    Regards - Farbror D

18. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Without seeing errors, I can't really tell you.

19. @Wulf no errors, they are not even loaded.
    Update: I'm a retard.
    [12/4/2015 5:50:32 AM] [Oxide] 5:50 AM [Error] Failed to load extension Oxide.Ext.Lua (DllNotFoundException: lua52)

How ever, Oxide.Ext.Lua exists in Managed.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2015
  20. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Do you have the x86 and x64 folders under Managed and the lua DLLs in there? Which version of Wine are you using?