1. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Pretty sure it's the Wine version that's the issue, not the actual OS.

2. yes
    wine is 1.7.50 with the 14.04 version
    and 1.7.14 something with the 12.02

3. Would it be possible to run on a linux vps? Or would that be practically useless and below rewuirements (4gb vps)?

4. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

I'm sure you could, but I don't know how well it'd perform.

5. scg

scg

Hi!

I am pretty new to this forum (this is my first post), and sorry for bumping this topic.
    Today i decided to setup a rust server on my dedicated vserver, based on linux ubuntu 14.04 lts.

I've used the script on the first site, and everything seems to go well, until i've tried to start the server. After reading the topic, i've installed xpra, because my vServer has no GPU / Graphic Card.

After installing this stuff, i tried again with the following commands:
    Code:
    $ xpra start :100
    $ export DISPLAY=:100 # Xpra session is okay
    $ wine ./RustDedicated.exe -bashmode

But the response is [Bash] fixme:ole:RemUnknown_QueryInterface No interface for iid {00000019-0000-0000-c00 - Pastebin.com - tbh i am not really sure, what that's about, except the last line "RegisterDeviceNotification".. May the server still has problems with my xpra session?

My wine version is currently on 1.7.50. If you need something else, please let me know.

EDIT:
    So i tried some more things, just to be safe, something is wrong (maybe it's me again)

$ xvfb-run --auto-servernum --server-args='-screen 0 640x480x24:32' wine RustDedicated.exe -batchmode -cfg server.cfg -maxplayers 50 -port 28015
    Code:
    ========== OUTPUTING STACK TRACE ==================Crash in winutils::ProcessInternalCrash(PEXCEPTION_POINTERS pExInfo)wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000130 at address 0x7f94bd106ef8 (thread 003e), starting debugger...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2015
  6. My own xvfb-run is formatted similarly, and running with wine-1.7.50 on a VPS with no video card and I know it works:

/usr/bin/xvfb-run --auto-servernum --server-args='-screen 0 640x480x24:32' /usr/bin/wine RustDedicated -batchmode -load +rcon.ip $c_rconip +rcon.port $c_rconport +rcon.password $c_rconpassword $c_morecommands +server.hostname '$c_servername' +server.port $c_serverport +server.identity $c_serveridentity +server.maxplayers $c_maxplayers +server.seed $c_seed +server.globalchat True +server.worldsize $c_worldsize +server.url $c_url +server.headerimage $c_headerimage +server.description '$c_description' -autoupdate

I ran into page fault/debugger issues similar to what you had, and I think it's caused by not having WINEARCH=win64. I'm no expert on Wine, and I was fiddling with running wineboot and winecfg around the same time, but WINEARCH=win64 seemed to finally fix it. The sample script on this forum had that, but I couldn't personally get WINEARCH=win64 to start wine on my xvfb-run command line. What I ended up doing is adding the following to my startup scripts and it quit crashing:

export WINEARCH=win64
    export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine64
    export WINEDEBUG=fixme-all,err-all,warn+cursor,-all

(As a side note, I don't get any console output using xvfb-run. At one point I did get it to display text to the console, but I'm not sure how it started doing that and if it was due to a rust patch briefly enabling it or if I actually did something, but after about a day it quit working again. It didn't display anything particularly useful to me so I didn't look into it too much. I had already written a linux rcon client on github to control the server from the console (rust-rcon-perl) so that met my needs).
    [DOUBLEPOST=1442955751][/DOUBLEPOST]For anyone not fully wanting to reinvent the wheel...if you do get it working, and you were planning to start everything inside a screen session, I had a whole lot better luck with tmux.

As the user I'm running the server as, I ran 'crontab -e' and added the following line '@reboot /home/steam/s/tools/init-tmux' and made a file init-tmux that basically contained:

#!/bin/bash
    export WINEARCH=win64
    export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine64
    export WINEDEBUG=fixme-all,err-all,warn+cursor,-all
    tmux new-session -s rust -d '/bin/bash -l'
    tmux set-option -s default-shell '/bin/bash'
    tmux split-window -d -t 0 -v
    tmux split-window -d -t 0 -h
    tmux send-keys -t 0 '/home/steam/s/tools/startrust si2' enter
    tmux send-keys -t 1 'top' enter
    tmux send-keys -t 2 '/home/steam/s/tools/rust-rcon-perl -s 1.2.3.4 -p 5556 -w password -l /home/steam/si2.log' enter

basically it starts up 3 panes in a window, startrust being my server start script, upper right showing top, and rcon at the bottom. all this stuff starts up automatically, and to view it when you ssh in, you can run 'tmux attach'. Ctrl-B and arrow keys switches the active pane and Ctrl-B D takes them back off the screen. (My own script is the same except I added ';sleep 10;sudo reboot' to the end and after the rcon can't connect enough times it exites out and reboots the server)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2015
  7. What start, where I see it? I didnt see anything of the "online" server.

8. You won't necessarily be able to tell by looking. I'd try to see if you can connect via an rcon client, also your CPU usage might be somewhat highish. Your wine version needs to be 1.7.x or its not going to work.
    If you're still having problems and your wine version is correct, at least post the command you are using to start the server..

9. Hello,
    I'm very bad at Linux... I got a debian 64 bits VPS and I can't start my server with Wine. The script goes well until the "start" part. I saw that people got problems with graphic card. I don't have one on my VPS so I got the same error... Anyone has a solution for this ? I also tried with wine64

Btw, I tried this :
    because I have Debian, but I got an error during installation. I hope I will be able to run my Rust server on my new VPS...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2015
  10. Did you say what error you are getting? Because I couldn't find it, nor could I find what command you were running when you got the error.

11. I try to start the server, but I have nothing except the error.

I using wine 1.7.18

I use this command to start the server :
    WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine64 wine RustDedicated.exe -batchmode -load

12. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

You need to be using Wine 1.7.50+, basically whatever the latest is either manually compiled or by using a more modern Linux build.

13. When I try to install with the debian instructions :
    Code:
    After this operation, 152 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
    WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
      wine1.7-amd64
    Install these packages without verification? [y/N] y
    (Reading database ... 106645 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack .../wine1.7-amd64_1%3a1.7.50-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking wine1.7-amd64 (1:1.7.50-0ubuntu1) ...
    dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/wine1.7-amd64_1%3a1.7.50-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
    trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/wine64', which is also in package wine64 1.6.2-20
    dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/wine1.7-amd64_1%3a1.7.50-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

When I try to start with the command in this topic :
    Code:
    WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine64 wine RustDedicated.exe -batchmode -load
    /usr/bin/wineserver: error while loading shared libraries: libwine.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

When I try to run with this command :
    Code:
    wine64 RustDedicated.exe -batchmode -load[many many things appear....]Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
    Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.

14. I have wine 1.7.50, but I still got the error =/

I have:
    GetThreadContext failed
    Internal errors - invalid parameters received
    on my screen when I try to launch the server

15. can't believe I had this working fine for a few hours, and now I can't even get it to run now....
    Code:
    Mono path[0] = 'Z:/home/steam/rust/RustDedicated_Data/Managed'
    Mono path[1] = 'Z:/home/steam/rust/RustDedicated_Data/Mono'
    Mono config path = 'Z:/home/steam/rust/RustDedicated_Data/Mono/etc'
    ^CXIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":99"
          after 265 requests (261 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
    XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":99"
          after 142 requests (140 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

16. Your problem is it just can't open a window. It's not specifically a wine issue, its a can't find the GUI issue. I don't know if you have a GUI or are using some kind of fake gui so I couldn't tell you how to fix it. Could be as simple as a reboot if you can't figure out whats wrong.

17. yeh reboot didn't fix anything.. still same error

not sure what I did to mess it up even more.. the problems started off with a restart of the rust server and getting the follow error [Linux] Server not loading when *.cs plugins exists | Page 2 | Oxide before that rust server+oxide+plugins was going fine

and now I can't even get it to startup to that point where generates those error log files.. as it suck with the X server issue.

anyway by gui the only one I use is the via x2go on Xubuntu Desktop 14.04 "Trusty Tahr" (XFCE + x2go) (BETA)

18. I'm not familiar with x2go at all. Are you running a local gui or a remote gui? If its a remote gui, I'm guessing you need to start up the server after a reboot. My GUESS is its not started, or running on a different display number than :99.

If you can't get it going, you can always change to the xvfb-run route for no gui at all, or try running vnc instead.