Rename

Moved

Total Downloads: 1,980 - First Release: Jun 28, 2015 - Last Update: Jan 23, 2017

5/5, 7 likes
  1. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

2. Giving me the error invalid player, but I'm sure its correct, can help?

3. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Make sure you are using the name exactly, or at least the start of it.

4. I got a funny thing happening here.
    i renamed a player to lol, then i renamed him to something else.
    then i did a /rename name reset. and it just reset to "lol" (the first name i gave him)
    so i did a /rename name reset again, and then his name changed to reset. hahaha. and now i cant get his normal name back.
    if i do a /rename lol reset, it names him to reset, and if i do it again (/rename reset reset) it names him to "lol".
    what should i do? :p

5. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

The plugin resets to the last known name, and removes the data for that player. All the player would need to do is disconnect and reconnect for the original name to show.

6. Thank you Wulf, youre the best!

7. The names would normally be saved when a person disconnects and connects the server again. But since the last update the names reset when they rejoin the server. Do you know what might have changed this?
    I really like this plugin to play incognito. But since everyone knows "Tyriel" is the owner and my name resets to Tyriel everytime I rejoin the server, it is more difficult to play incognito.

8. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Most likely your datafile for the plugin is unreadable or corrupt, not really from an update.

9. I already tried deleting it several times, but it does not seem to work.

My data file looks something like this:

{
    "7656119804xxxxxxx": {
    "Original": "Name1",
    "Rename": "Name2"
    },
    "7656119808xxxxxxx": {
    "Original": "Name3",
    "Rename": "Name4"
    },
    "7656119813xxxxxxx": {
    "Original": "Name5",
    "Rename": "Name6"
    },
    "7656119813xxxxxxx": {
    "Original": "Name7",
    "Rename": "Name8"
    },
    "7656119814xxxxxxx": {
    "Original": "Name9",
    "Rename": "Name10"
    }
    }

10. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Have you checked it using jsonlint.com?

11. It's a valid json.
    It has to be, as Name Change wrote the file itself.
    I deleted the plugin + data + config, restarted the server and re-installed Name Change.
    But it still does not work.

Edit: When people join my server you can see the message "Player X has joined the server". This will be the name that I changed with Name Change, but his in-game name will still be his original name. This also happens when the specific person leaves the server.

Edit 2: I think it's a Fragnet "issue". Because I tried deleting the config files from other plugins and every time when I reinstalled the plugin, it somehow recovered the original config file. Even after deleting all back up files from the server, it was still able to recover the original config files.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2015
  12. Incase no one had reported it yet wulf :)

Attached Files:

13. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Thanks, I'll see about getting a fix out ASAP.

14. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Wulf updated Name Change with a new update entry:

15. Hey Wulf. I asked Fragnet support and they are unable to fix it.
    Somehow Oxide automatically recovers lost data files, even if you decide to remove them.
    As I wrote in my previous post, I tried all thinkable combo's to permanently delete the file, but it keeps restoring itself.
    I even tried to trick it, by renaming the original file and let Name Change write the new data file.
    But even then the renames are temporary.

Do you know how to (temporarily) turn off this build-in recovery system of Oxide?

16. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Oxide doesn't recover files, you just can't delete datafiles while the server is running, Oxide will just save what is loaded from memory.

The only way you can manually edit or delete datafiles, is by shutting down the server and doing your work then, then starting the server again. Datafiles aren't meant to be edited manually though. Oxide also doesn't do anything to datafiles other than what plugins tells it to do, but there isn't any renaming involved.

17. Okay I already tried that once,but I will try it again.
    Thanks for the prompt reply.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1442859213][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I stopped the server, deleted all NameChange files, restarted the server again and names still get reset when players disconnect and rejoin.
    Strange.

18. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Reset to what? Have you checked that they are correct in oxide/data/NameChange.json? Like I said though, if you are trying to edit it manually or delete it, the only way it will actually be changed/deleted is if you do it while the server is fully offline. Any changes made while the server is still running will be discarded when the server is shutdown, as it saves to the file from the running memory.

19. I did fully stop the server and deleted all NameChange files: plugin, data, config.

They are reset to their original (Steam) name when they leave and rejoin the server. However, notifier will still use the NameChange name, but the console/in-game name will be their Steam name.

So lets say I connect to my server and rename myself to Tyriel2.
    My in-game name will be Tyriel2, for the session, but when I disconnect and rejoin, notifier will write "Tyriel2 has joined the server, from The Netherlands".
    But my in-game/console name will by Tyriel.
    When I disconnect and rejoin once more, yet again notifier will write "Tyriel2 has joined the server, from The Netherlands" and my in-game/console name will still be Tyriel. So it seems that notifier some home keeps track of the Name Change names.

20. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

That could be, but that sounds more like an issue with Notifier. This plugin only uses what is available in the NameChange.json datafile if renamed.