HelpText

Moved

Total Downloads: 18,186 - First Release: Oct 23, 2014 - Last Update: Feb 3, 2017

4.92105/5, 38 likes
  1. Man.. this thing is a hot mess.

You'd never think a 3K file would be such a pain.

I've gone through 3 pages of updates and changes to the files. Either they don't compile due to the last update (Covalence) or they compile, but don't work for custom text.

Is there anyone that has the magical combination of both a compiling file AND a working format for the .JSON for the custom text?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2016
  2. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Nothing changed with how it creates configs. Are you getting any errors in your oxide/logs?

3. No. This file has been a hit and miss since day 1.

Either it's not reading the .JSON file correctly or it's not creating the .JSON file correctly (format-wise) and no.. no errors. It simply won't accept custom text.

4. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

So it is creating the config file then? Could I see the changes you made to it?

5. This is what it creates:
    Code:
    {
      "Settings": {
        "AllowHelpTextFromOtherPlugins": true,
        "CustomHelpText": [
          "custom helptext",
          "custom helptext"
        ]
      },
      "UseCustomHelpText": false
    }
    This is what I edited it to:
    Code:
    {
      "Settings": {
        "AllowHelpTextFromOtherPlugins": false,
        "CustomHelpText": [
          "test",
          "custom helptext"
        ]
      },
      "UseCustomHelpText": true
    }
    It does nothing when I type /help.

Now... if I turn the other plugin support to true, it does work that way, but even if they are both "true" it still won't display any of the custom text.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1472736256][/DOUBLEPOST]At some point someone acknowledged that the file is broken in the way it creates and reads the .JSON. But, that was awhile ago and the file he loaded that actually works doesn't compile now.

So we're back to square one.

6. Use attached version, it's been a bug that has existed for a while and the plugin dev just hasn't noticed yet, or hasn't cared.

Basically, to sum it all up, the plugin is generating a config that is different from the actual config layout for the plugin. You're going to want to regenerate a new config.

Edit: Let me know if it doesn't compile (it really should not be a problem), unable to test it at the moment.

7. Works great. Compiled and was able to edit the config. The commands are broken up every 10 lines, but I like the font size.

8. Calytic

Calytic Community Admin Community Mod

Calytic updated HelpText with a new update entry:

9. Always same problem, custom text not works.

10. Use the version I posted above.

11. Calytic

12. Hi same issue same problem, custom text not works with every version purposed :/
    Finaly solved with HelpText | Page 17 | Oxide Canopy Sheep but need to delete the old config file created to re-create it with this version.

Regard

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2016
  13. The latest version should be working, you also have to generate a new config with the latest version.

14. Every other plugin works but when i do /help nothing comes up?

15. Calytic

16. Is this a required upgrade? What exactly does universal mean in this context?

17. Calytic

No, it is not required. Universal means that this plugin will work for all games that oxide supports, including Rust.

18. Code:
    12:53 [Error] HelpText plugin failed to compile!
    12:53 [Error] HelpText.cs(57,28): error CS1061: Type `System.Text.StringBuilder' does not contain a definition for `Clear' and no extension method `Clear' of type `System.Text.StringBuilder' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    12:53 [Warning] Calling 'SendHelpText' on 'LevelSystem v0.5.0' took 262ms
    12:53 [Error] Failed to call hook 'SendHelpText' on plugin 'PlayerInformations v1.2.6' (InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.)
    12:53 [Debug]  at Oxide.Plugins.PlayerInformations.DirectCallHook (System.String name, System.Object& ret, System.Object[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
      at Oxide.Plugins.CSharpPlugin.InvokeMethod (HookMethod method, System.Object[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
      at Oxide.Core.Plugins.CSPlugin.OnCallHook (System.String name, System.Object[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
      at Oxide.Core.Plugins.Plugin.CallHook (System.String name, System.Object[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    12:53 [Warning] Calling 'Help' on 'HelpText v1.0.3' took 1033ms
    REIGN OF KINGS

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2016
  19. Calytic

20. Here's some suggested updates (along with suggested code changes):
    1. We can increase the maximum break to 17 lines (anything longer doesn't work), so I increased it.
    2. I added a feature to do a "force break" so you can break up your help where you want instead of arbitrarily at x lines.
      The force break is done by putting a "-" on one line (by itself).

The image here is all done with custom text and using forced breaks in the config "-". rust_help_screen.png
    Attached is the file with the updates. I added one "if" and modified one other line.