1. i'm implementing zones into our plugin now, one of them would coat places that could be potentially targeted by hackers. they could be automatically added to the cupboards and trigger their functions when a player without the building privs happen to be in range. so far they periodically dump input of players without building privs and monitor state of health of every home-like objects (building parts included), as well as states of containers (player inv included). the info will be saved for a review later. problem is, while this should help to catch most of the glitchers and help to settle accusations thrown around by raided scrubs, it won't be enough to stop the sophisticated types.

ideally we should be able to make the screenshots from different angles with the camera following the intruders. i thought about it and came to conclusion this can't be done from server side. the best workaround i came up which would require one copy of rust client to run 24/7 somewhere and server would have to take over the controls of the said client, set player invisibility and noclip, teleport to desired place and make sure we are getting good camera angles. triggering screenshots would require (i believe) hacking into the client to handle custom server triggers (bad) or channeling script triggers through the outside channels (remote control commands) - which is doable with probably only a small custom oxide patch.

i would love to hear your opinions. am i overthinking this? i know this is not a fool proof solution and that the f**kers (=hackers) crave attention but at least i would like to make them break the sweat if they want to mess up our server. i know that facepunch has it's own tool to investigate screenshots but i don't want to rely on them - way to many players to check, and they choose to use EAC in the first place ffs.

edit: no sleeping+typing = ExceptionFaults and typos

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2015
  2. Well could be a good idea but its not doable for a plugin release.
    But ... I'm not even sûre that we cant take screenshots from the server side with the camera?
    Actually i havent looked into it, but i'll definitely look into it.
    as for your thing, to log everything is a way to do things, but would make huge logs and huge lags on the server, when you log things it needs to be already filtered (but some anticheat) ...
    Actually @4seti gave me a good idea with his plugin that logs where player shoots,
    AnD i'll add to my plugin logs of all speedhack, flyhack AnD wallhack detections to help admins see how players where detected (but Again its already filtered so shouldnt make big logs)

3. :) @Rened revealed my development:p Actually you can just put non-enterable zone into each wall and door, like you do in ZoneManagement, but it will cause lags

4. wait, that would be just a force field right? i don't mind them going in if they are able, i just don't want them to cheat while they do it:) i'm not sure how feasible that is, but i will later try adding custom game objects with large plane-shaped colliders, clone 6 of them and surround a structure with them. crossing them would trigger all the checks and functions if needed. this is not ideal, because lags and teleporting hackers, but should give us luxury to refresh zone states on much longer intervals.

btw mind if i ask you how do you handle logging the shots in your plugin? we had a loose thought of adding accuracy penalty for low level players. i don't want too hook into user input where not necessary because i'm afraid it might work well but won't scale. if the bullets/arrows carry any reference to their origin there is possibility of making a quick db check and tilting them ever so slightly if necessary, but i'm not sure if they do.

5. yeah
    or just like on legacy check all movements and see if there is something in the way. but this caused WAYYY too much disconnections and false detections, and was very annoying on legacy.
    i'd rather not limit what hackers can do, but detect them to ban them (so you get more hackers, if you just limit them, then they can just stay and WH and you can't do anything about it :p)
    and yes, making a zone field might create too much lags