1. Ok so as the title says what im really asking here is :

1 How do i update the server without wiping the map/inventories/blueprints learned ?
    2 How do i know if a wipe is needed or not ?

1 - So far, for the auto update, ive used the Rustide pack. Update works well, oxide plugins, configs and data work well (when moving them to the newly created server). However, how do i update it without wiping ? I've tried updating over it and i got a new map, i've tried creating a new server and copying the sav files (from the procedural maps folder), but it doesnt seem to care about those. So how do i do an update without wiping, step by step if you can pls.

2 I dont see any info on the oxide updates regarding wipe info. I do understand when a protocol version changes that i need to update the server, but does that also mean that i have to wipe the server? Or is something else that i have to look after when deciding to wipe or not ?

I know ive asked/wrote a lot, but i hope someone here can give me a detailed explanation on this.

Thanks in advance ^^.

2. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Generally just don't delete your server/identity/saves folder and .db files, and you won't wipe. The only time those are wiped/reset is when there is a forced wipe due to a Rust update.

3. Hmm i didnt backup the DB's firs time i tried to update without wiping, that might've been the problem.

Once again, thanks !

4. Hmmm, but what about player learned blueprints on a forced wipe ? I cant save those by using the userpersistence.db? Or those get forcefully wiped aswell..

5. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Blueprint wipes are more rare compared to map wipes, when there is a "forced wipe", it's generally one or the other, not both.

6. Oh i see, so basically i just try to update without wipe, if it works it works, if it doesnt it force wipes. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Once again Wulf, thx for your help, you're awesome ^^.

7. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Pretty much. I'd still recommend doing backups though just in case.

8. For as not to produce new topics, ask here. Probably respected Wulf can help me. I do not bother building the players and their skills, but I care about buildings that are builds administrator. It`s possible after a wipe to restore all the buildings are constructed admin, with all settings zone manager, etc? Ex. - Rust update - I update server, and all my saves not working - "This save is from an older version - and is incompatible.. sorry!". How, then, to transfer all of the buildings - hotels, castles, with all the settings from the old save? I would not like to spend 2 weeks of life on tuning the server and then to see such an inscription. Calm me, please...

9. Unless there's a copy paste plugin (like on minecraft) that you can use to copy ingame buildings to a file then load them on the server i dont think you can do much.

I wouldnt advise wasting so much time creating stuff like that on rust.....not yet at least. With their way of updating and changing protocol versions every update theres pretty much no sense to maintain anything else excepting the plugins.

10. Tnx for your answer Rekatluos.
    Yes, I looked at copypaste and I liked him. But can he transfer all zone settings? And yes, I realize that a lot of building is not worth rushing. Well, at least 40000 -50000 cells and their settings :)

11. Wulf, when the Thursday game updates require Admins to update the server... so long as I only update the server, oxide, and rust:io (through the gameserver.com MODS tab) that should keep player buildings, blueprints etc... right?

12. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Oxide and Rust:IO are unrelated to map wipes, Rust determines if you receive a wipe or not, which there is usually a forced wipe at least once a month.

13. Mhm, but when is updating force wipe, then i dont need to delete old files, db? Just run ./rustserver update and they will delete files? :)

14. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

It depends, but generally no.

15. How about the HapisIsland map? It was just recently modified, however it tends to remain unchanged for quite a while. Can I simply revert back to a pre-update HapisIsland save after a forced wipe has taken place?