1. This is a simple guide on how you can setup your workspace, so you could lookup all APIs and use proper code-completion in the Visual Studio IDE.
    1. Download Visual Studio 2015 Express Here: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=532606&clcid=0x409
    2. Install it with the default options
    3. Once you have loaded up the IDE, go in File -> New -> Project, select Templates -> Visual C#, select "Class Library", enter your plugin name, for example, "TestPlugin", and press OK
    4. Then on the right side, open "Solution Explorer", expand the References section, select all but "Analyzers", then rightclick and remove.
    5. Rightclick on References, press add, press Browse and go to your rust server directory, for example, "E:\Rust\rustds\RustDedicated_Data\Managed", and select all of the .dll files except for "mscorlib.dll", "System.Core.dll" and "System.Data.dll".
    Done, you can now enjoy proper syntax highlighting and code-completion, now get cracking.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2015
  2. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Or you could clone the Oxide repo, and plop your .cs plugin into the plugins folder under the game extension you wish to develop for. ;)

3. And with notepad++?

4. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

If you wanted to, but that won't give you nearly the same benefits. I use it for basic edits sometimes.

5. I tried this method first.. however I got no working intellisense/code complete suggestions.

Vilsol method worked fine and I get working intellisense which really helps

6. i cant import references and couldnt find anything in references to delete

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2015
  7. for those who use mac, try visual studio code.

8. There isn't a System.Core.dll anymore from what I can tell.
    I'm also getting this
    Code:
    Error    CS0012    The type 'MonoBehaviour' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'UnityEngine, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.    RespawnMessages    c:\users\dellpc\documents\visual studio 2015\Projects\RespawnMessages\RespawnMessages\Class1.cs  
    I'm assuming it is because there is a .dll missing, but I installed them all with the exclusion of the ones you pointed out.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2016
  9. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

That's from UnityEngine.dll.

10. Is there somewhere an official guide for this?

Iike one that is updated to a somewhat recent state and that contains all the current fetures. The api documentation doesn't even provide information on mysql support. But that would not be a big deal if there was a guide on how to set up the references.

11. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

There are some examples of the extensions under the Extensions link at the top. If you'd like an example project, see GitHub - lukespragg/oxide-plugins: Various plugins I've made for the Oxide modding API..

12. Doesn't that miss at least the csproj stuff and the librarys?

The last time i worked with c# was about 1 year ago and i only did it for about 1 year.

13. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

No, they're all in my example project, I use it daily. It's just setup for more than just Rust, I have it for every game.

14. Where should they be located? I still can't find them and visual studio also doesn't.

15. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

My example has a solution file, which you simply open. You'd still need to change the references to valid paths, mine are set to where my dependencies are. If you aren't familiar with Visual Studio, I'd recommend looking at some tutorials for how to add references with it, there should be quite a few general ones for it.

16. Sio i assume there is a copyright problem to this?

Right now im searching for the files in my server directory but i would have aprreciated a package containing them...

17. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Most of the DLLs you need generally come in each Oxide build, but you can add additional ones from your server's install if needed. One setup does not fit all, so I'd recommend getting familiar with Visual Studio and your server installation.

18. Any idea how i get it working properly with auto suggestions and so on?

19. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Visual Studio Code does not have IntelliSense that I am aware of, only the full Visual Studio would.

20. It does.