1. Hello,

Looking for current information on server wipes and blueprint wipes. I'm honestly surprised there isn't a sticky thread for this. I've looked but most information seems old and talks about .db files which I have none of in my server folders.

I'm a new admin running a Rust server on a Linux box that I have root access to, so I do this all myself.

I need some clarification:

If Rust requires an update and I stop the server using [./rustserver stop] followed by [./rustserver update] and restart it, does it wipe the map and blueprints? If yes, what files do I need to backup (be specific as possible please) to retain blueprints.

Would this be the typical procedure when updating?
    1. ./rustserver stop
    2. backup anything that might get wiped out
    3. ./rustserver update
    4. restore files that were backed up
    5. ./rustserver mods-update
    6. ./rustserver start

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2017
  2. I run one on Linux as well. It's save (if doing weekly update and not wipe), stop, update, validate, mods-update, wipe (1st Thursday of the month-unless you are running a high pop/fast game), start. Wipe command should only wipe the world, not the bp's.

I am trying to find out if there is a command for wiping bp's or if it's a file that needs to be erased.

3. @nimdasys @Sunset Merlot The wipe command will wipe everything as it was intended to do so. If you want to keep BPs I recommend making a backup of the user directory, wiping and then reapplying said copy.

4. Ok good to know thanks!

5. Thanks for the help guys. Does anyone know if tomorrow is a forced blueprint wipe? Or do we just have to wait until the blog comes out?

6. @nimdasys Follow Commits for November 2017 and look for commits that contain persistance++. Any build marked with that tag will force a BP wipe. So far no build with the said tag so no, no planned BP wipe this update.

7. Perfect thanks!

8. It doesn't seem that they will force wipe the blueprints.
    According to Rustafied:
    Source: Updates

9. There seems to be very poor information surrounding this in general. A guide would be really good. There are a few things that need clarification. And I've been searching for hours now and found nothing.

I've just shrunk my server size from 6000 to 3000, but kept everything else in the same place, and NONE of the blueprints transferred. Even though I am pretty sure that I have seen that occur before.

1. What do you NEED to backup to keep blueprints
    2. Can you transfer your players blueprints when you create a new seed, or change your server size?
    3. What is the exact process to do a wipe? After the update my server just couldn't load my save, so it was essentially 'wiped'. But I've seen mention of an actual wipe 'process'
    4. What is the exact process to wipe, but keep your blueprints.

I see a lot of people wanting to wipe their BP's. But I want to keep a friendly little server for my friends where they get to keep them.

Can anyone help?

1. If it's a force wip like yesterday it will wipe. You can't back it up.
    2. I'm not sure about that but the blueprints are kept in a folder called Users. Just try to copy and paste that over.
    3. Each First Thursday of every month there is a force wipe along with the rust update. You can't backup your save. It will be wiped no matter what.
    4. If you want to wipe your server just delete the .sav file and if you want to wipe blueprints delete the users folder. When wiping your server it's important to remember that some plugins have data files where they store stuff like N-Teleportation. Go to the oxide/data dir and delete some of the data file of plugins that store info
    Here's a really great plugin to manage blueprints: Blueprint Manager for Rust | Oxide

Rust update note: Devblog 189

chrome_2017-12-09_09-52-16.png

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2017
  10. Cheers for the comprehensive answers! Everything I'd read indicated that this current wipe wouldn't include BP. Looks like that changed last minute and I was pulling out my hair for two days for no reason. Haha.

The only other question I'd have, would be which User folder would you backup? I'm going to assume that its the one inside the server folder. And not the base one. But would love confirmation.

Thanks a bunch!

11. Yup. Inside the server folder.

12. Can you confirm if this worked. I tired this last blueprint wipe and was unable to restore player blueprints. It appears that is just created a second users folder.

13. Did you ever successfully restore the blueprints?

14. You cannot restore blueprints after a force BP wipe.

15. Thank you for the response. :-D I wish they would give server owners control over this.

16. I dont think they will. You see when they update regarding the the environment they have to wipe it for it not to break the game or cause issues. It's only once a month so...

17. They are going to wipe blueprints once a month with map wipe??

18. Every first Thursday of a month they wipe.