1. I'm not sure if anyone else is having these issues, and with the game updates being so wonky I'm not really sure if it's something I did or something Facepunch did. Within the past two weeks my server has been randomly crashing without notice (obviously). I'm wondering if maybe there are plugins clashing with each other? I don't get any errors in console when the server goes offline.

Here are my plugins in the attached file.

Attached Files:

2. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Unless the server is generating crash logs in the root directory, it likely isn’t a crash but instead a forced restart by your host.

3. That's some very good insight. As I said, I don't see any errors in my RCON console when it crashes, but where else should I check?

4. I actually just found my gameservers crash log, and I'm getting this error:

[Sun Nov 19 23:16:57 2017] [108_61_109_234_28016_ruste] Server has exceeded maximum RAM limit (4846 MB), killing
    [Sun Nov 19 23:16:57 2017] [108_61_109_234_28016_ruste] Server has crashed, restarting
    [Mon Nov 20 01:01:31 2017] [108_61_109_234_28016_ruste] Server has exceeded maximum RAM limit (4846 MB), killing
    [Mon Nov 20 01:01:32 2017] [108_61_109_234_28016_ruste] Server has crashed, restarting

Is there an easy way to fix this?

5. Time to ask your host for a lot more ram as thats not enough

6. Is there any work around that? I mean, we haven't had these issues until recently. My server only has like 20 people on max at a time.

7. You are exceeding your maximum RAM limit given by your shared host.

You need to upgrade your package or likely cut back on some plugins (highly doubt the plugins are you ram issues, though)

4-5GB ram is cutting it close for a modded Rust server, you should be looking at 8GB ram minimum. My servers always run between 8GB-9GB. My high pop one runs at ~15GB at times.

Two hacky work arounds are
    • Restart your server a lot (every 3-4 hours since 4-5GB)
    • Make your map size a lot smaller (1.5k-2k)

8. Thank you so much for the advice! I'm running on Gameservers right now and unfortunately it's rather expensive to upgrade. We are running a 4000 map size, so I'll definitely try cutting it down next wipe. :)

9. Update for anyone with a Gameservers hosted server:

They will increase your server's RAM for you without cost to make up for the recent Facepunch updates requiring more memory.

10. Rust has always used a lot of ram so gameservers don't know what they are talking about but that still does not fix your problem you need more ram I would not go with less than 16GB

11. That's good to know. My server is lower pop, so I have it set to 75 people max. The fact that it can't even handle 20-30 people being online and whatnot is very worrysome.

12. That's complete bullshit, the RAM has not increased at all since the last Rust update.

This is why I hate shared host customer support smh

13. I've been hosting with Gameservers for a couple of years now and have found their RAM allotment to be fair (especially considering they're one of the most affordable hosts). However, I also don't run a 200 player slot server. If I were going to do that, I'd get one of their dedicated boxes.

What I've done to be honest, is purchased a 100 slot server (since RAM is linked to the # of slots you purchase). This way, I have guaranteed access to about 5.5 - 6GB of ram before the forced restart. I run my server at 50 slots, quite heavily modded. We average about 15-20 players but we've handled as high as 40+ for weeks at at time with no problems.

Also, if you submit a few support tickets to Gameservers saying that your server keeps crashing, they will actually up your overall limit on their end. Usually in 0.5 GB increments. What will hurt you the most though is your entity count. I'd ballpark you for about 90-100k entities before your server with those specs chokes out.

Hope this helps.

-Bill

14. Shared host dedicated boxes are a no go :p

Go OVH :p

15. Yeah, but I'm also a slave to the almighty dollar. :p

16. Yeah, I have a 75 slot server 4,000 map size with around 15-20 on at any time and currently at around 90k entities with a week left before the wipe. They increased my RAM by 300 and we still crashed, so I managed to get them to increase it by another gig and we haven't crashed yet. I'm hopeful!

17. Do you by chance use the auto purge plugin? I haven't looked at your list but auto purge is awesome. You use it alongside connectiondb. You configure Autopurge to run every x amount of hours to wipe any structures or entities built by people who haven't logged in in the past x amount of days.

I use it and have it set to run every six hours to clean up abandoned bases after four days. Clears up a lot of empty bases and superfluous entities on my server.

18. I don't have it currently, but I was looking into it. That's actually a really good idea, thanks for the suggestion!

19. Best decision ever to keep server resources down. Based on the mods list you have (I finally caved and looked, and cried a bit for all the server resources that are dying and going to server heaven) I really recommend it.