1. Morning everyone,

We have been at this for a few weeks now with no luck and very little documentation found on the web. Let me break down the problem.

I host a 48U rack in a datacenter which has a Dell PE 730XD free for use. All of my Physical servers are running ESXi 6 or higher and with the issues we have experienced with NFO and GameServers i figured it wouldnt be a bad idea to host rust myself since i can easily support the requirements.

Well that was easier said than done as we have experienced nonstop lag which doesnt look to be related to my bonded 1gbps fiber connection as i am running other gaming servers without issue but for some odd reason Rust doesnt want to play fair.

Any ideas?

I've tested rust in various instances like Server 2012R2 Std, Ubuntu Server and Windows 10 Pro. Network configs were tested both inside "controlled" and in the DMZ "uncontrolled" both of which still showed issues with the rust server having lag. The VM for the rust instance has more than enough resources to support the game 8 to 16CPU, 16GB ram, 40GB SSD storage

Tested with 4 players -
    With the network being controlled we would see a delay when picking up stone, sulfur and building but would also see a ton of lag with airdrops etc. When the server is outside in the DMZ we do not see this issue with delay picking up items or building but still had lag during airdrops. So i am leaning more towards something being up with Rust that we missed or I'm just at the end with rust..lol

Any help or details on where to look would be great

2. This sounds like a horrible idea. Hence the results your getting.

3. Running Rust server inside ESXi 5.5 VM, Windows 2012. 4 cores, 8Gb RAM, 100-120 players - no issues.

4. Did you have to allocate physical server resources "CPU" or is the VM using standard share? I can get the game server up and running with no probs but experience lag which i do not know why cause the VM and server host are flatline for the most part.

Thanks for sharing

5. Standard shares. Is VMWare Tools installed in VM? Also I'm using VMXNET3 as network adapter.

6. I run a big vmware server farm and host a Rust server in it. With Rust, it is all about the GHz. What are the processors? Cores don't matter. You will need atleast a 2.4ghz to push 50 players and 3.6+ for 100+ players.

Ignore hdd, ignore memory (atleast 8GB), network driver doesn't matter.

Once your server gets to 120-150k entities, doesn't matter what you have. It will start shitting bricks. Need to run autopurge and decay.

Also with your hosts, make sure that balanced power mode is not enabled. Make sure it's set to best performance. Rust wil share load over cores, which makes it push very little cpu when many cores are added. This results in balanced power mode not kicking in properly and the result will be poor fps.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2017

7. Hi Infusednz,

I have the following specs on my host which is only 1 host that's not in a cluster. This host only has 1 server running on it at the moment to help isolate issues within the config which i cannot seem to identify anything being an issue with my config or host which makes me believe this to be something on Rust side as the problem.

Host Specs -

Dell PE730xd
    Dual Xeon 2640 v3 2.6ghz
    1TB ram
    5.2TB of 15k drives
    Power settings High Performance
    ESXi 6.0
    Bonded 1Gbps fiber internet connection

Network configs -
    Sophos XG 500 series controlling traffic / blocking high threat countries "We still experience lag on the server"
    DMZ which is outside and not controlled "We still experience lag on the server"

Gaming Server specs -
    8CPU "Internal sharing"
    12GB Ram "reserve all guest memory for this VM"
    60GB HDD
    OutSmoke configured the Rust instance on the server "CPU and Memory use on the VM is flatline"
    Tested this with Server 2012R2 Std and Windows 10 Pro

The issues that are experienced is lag, 2 second delay when picking up items, delay when building but as i stated the VM hosting the game is for the most part flatlined when this lag happens.

Note - This has only been an issue with Rust / Oxide as i do not have issues hosting other game servers.

Any ideas or help would be great

8. What fps you get? tried giving the vm more video memory?

9. You mention not experiencing lag with building or picking up items, only if the server is in the DMZ. That straight away points to firewall to me. Maybe you should double check your portforwarding and firewall logs to see if it is blocking anything.

As for the airplane still causing lag no matter what, I'm not sure. Would be worth monitoring the actual Rust server performance itself when a plane flies in (server's TPS and FPS). Try the server completely vanilla too with no Oxide.

10. Hi Joe,

We are seeing lag with or without the firewall in play. We tried 1 plugin at a time thinking it could be plugin related but same results. I will try vanilla to see if this is an issue with oxide

Thanks

11. If it is fine running vanilla, then it probably is unlikely an issue to do with Oxide directly, but rather the setup being run with Oxide.

12. 2cores 2.6ghz are NOT enough for Rust server

13. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Rust (and Unity) doesn't use more than 2 cores.

14. yeap I know it, But I ran around 15 Rust Servers, in at least 20 differents setups, and in my experience, I can confirm that
    2 cores at 2.6ghz, Will NOT WORK in any way if you are planning run a decent server for more than 50 players.

;)

15. It is most likely just the core clock that would be the limiting factor there, rather than the core count.

16. has nothing to do with cores, and I ran one on 2.2ghz fine @ 50 players. you need a 3ghz to go higher

it will likely be an issue with something configured in Oxide. What's your reported fps?

17. Correction! Core count have matters here. Is not the same, divide ALL the process of a server in 1 core 2 cores 4 cores or 8 cores despite rust is using 1 core only.
    All Servers run several processes in background.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017

18. Hi StreetDog,

My physical server has 2 Processors not 2 cores. The virtual server i am running for rust from this host server has 2 virtual sockets 4 cores per socket = 8 cores in the esx world. I can assign it 30 sockets 16 cores per socket and still get the same results.

The VM and Physical server are flatline when this lag happens so typically an engineer would think to look at the network but this happens with the server in the DMZ meaning wide open to god and country with same lag results so now im wondering if its a Rust config issue

Thanks to everyone for the input
    [DOUBLEPOST=1490932419][/DOUBLEPOST]

Hi infusednz,

I will get outsmoke to post the FPS details as i he will be in control of running the gaming side. I simply want to just manage the network and server(s). Trying to get this Rust thing up, fine tuned and running cause i have this $30k server sitting there with no use so rather than waste it i would like to put it to use..lol

Thanks

19. testing has yielded NOT an oxide issue, having same things on vanilla test server with only 3 people.