1. Calytic

Calytic Community Admin Community Mod

Keybinds should be separated into client-specific and server-specific. Binds set by the client should be written to the local config as they are now. Binds set by the server should be written to a separate local config that is only activated when joining that server.

Currently it is possible for a compromised or malicious server to set keybinds (such as those outlined in this post) on the client and then those binds are persisted to other servers.

@FacePunch

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  2. The account of the hacker is this:

Steam Community :: Unregistered

This guy was playing/hacking with names like:
    Dioxaflex
    Wimer
    Putin
    PutinGroso

There are some other reports:
    Steam id se pone como Owner de mi server (Steamid's getting as owner on others server) :: Rust General Discussions

Until JULY this account was PUBLIC
    STEAM_0:0:176526798 - STEAMID I/O

NOW IS PRIVATE PROFILE !!
    I TALKED TODAY WITH HIM
    THAT IS MY CHAT WITH THE HACKER
    IS ARGENTINIAN, HE SPEAK SPANISH,
    IF SOME ADMIN NEEDS TRANSLATION CONTACT ME
    THE RUST AND OXIDE COMMUNITY NEEDS TO DEAL WITH THIS NASTY GUY ASAP
    AND FOUND THE BACKDOOR THAT CHANGE THE FILE "KEYS.CFG"

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2016
  3. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

It's not a backdoor, people downloaded something or connected to a server that changed Rust's keys.cfg to bind a key to the commands mentioned in this thread. It's not a hack, just someone tacking advantage people and a feature in Rust.

So once again, feature of Rust, not a backdoor. Rust allows keys to be bound to commands.

4. But why if you delete all of this, and start your dedicated with Oxide the Keys.cfg and The ownerid Shows up again ?
    I dont enter other servers

5. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Then there's likely something else on your computer that is modifying the file. Did you download any random files from any sites or YouTube videos?

Oxide has nothing to do with the keys.cfg file, Rust has a key binding feature that allows clients to bind keys to commands. You can do this manually or a server can do it via a plugin.

6. Then you have some kind of virus on your pc that is changing that file. If I were you, I'd format my pc.

7. I think will be needed to look what server is sending this "scripts"
    thanks!!!

IF somebody can help with this or have any ideas please share.
    I am almost sure about what ppl is behind this, here on Argentina, the Pay2Win servers are big business for some ppl.

8. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

It's more than likely from not from a server, instead from sometime on your machine that was installed from elsewhere.

9. 76561197960287930
    owner

is listed as a owner on my server, at no point did i add him.
    SteamRep » Rabscuttle [Trusted] | 76561197960287930 | STEAM_0:0:11101

Turns out hes a steam employee?

At what point do they have any right to do such thing?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1474755354][/DOUBLEPOST]When i say steam i mean Valve.

How can this guy add him self to my server? surely this is a breach of some kind with abusive powers?

10. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Check the replies in this thread, it might explain it.

11. Still dont get why a Valve guy is owner on server. :S am i missing something?

12. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Are you sure that is the only one?

13. There is only 1 guy added as a owner on our server, and its coming back as a Valve guy. Hes never connected to server or anything,
    checked key file, and nothing there. ill keep a eye on it, little worrying tho.

14. PPL IS SO SIMPLE AND THIS PLUGIN WILL EXPLAIN EVERYTHING !

HotKeys for Rust | Oxide

You can put as default something like this...
    In our case this guy from an Argentinian Nasty Server (that made the RUST a PAY2WIN with donation for WOOD/STONE/METALS kits VIP) run this plugin that bind undesired commands when the wheeldown is touched, and is imposible dont touch it !! :p
    but... maybe your case is Just a Troll that wanna confuse ppl, I dont think that a Valve Employee needs to do that.

I think in future updates RUST/facepunch needs to take care about the permissions changing and executings this kind of binds

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2016
  15. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Any plugin or direct server mod can do that, it's a feature in Rust; it's discussed previously in this thread. It's just a console command that the server can run on the client.

16. yes, but Im pointing that Plugin that Im sure was used for that, Nobody here pointed that plugin, Right? dont know, Im sharing only,
    and sharing knowledge because here some ppl talks about troyans or viruses, one guy told me about formating pc LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

17. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

It likely happened long before that, and there likely are programs out there that do it as well, especially if it keeps happening every time you start your client without connecting to a malicious server. It may not be the same case for you as someone else having the issue.

18. yes, but quesoydulcedetandil and me were talking abuot this particular case, with this particular bind, with this particular guy, and I found finally the source of the Issue. :) Thanks anyway...

but not, I will not format my pc :F

19. Since i removed the Valve guy and banned him blah blah blah, its not shown up there, checking it daily for any spooky stuff. but so far its all good.

20. Hi huys, i really need help, this week "somebody" was trting to enter to my server several times, i change my rcon port and password to "hello$&&(/%$1325fgt43?='0¡098=/&(!"

But this guy continue accesing to my server... Write via command "say" and stop the server or free items to the players (bla bla bla), this is the information that i have, anybody can tell me what i could do?

http://fotos.subefotos.com/eb0382cb44d734060a2a5bbae01dd3fbo.png
    http://fotos.subefotos.com/6ffac8d40ee3e2f3226c9a9e6adbb4ado.png
    http://fotos.subefotos.com/57d884a85dd1cbbb67f33dd4534a5757o.png
    http://fotos.subefotos.com/e6c0bbdabcb09e829592b028d244dac4o.jpg
    http://fotos.subefotos.com/54cd8516d0eb94afab36330971b591d7o.jpg

5 times accesing in 2 days... I really dont know what to do. Wulf what do you think in your experience?