1. hello,

i was wondering if anyone did any research around the way the voicechat works in this game? Haven't seen any mention of it so far on the forums or in the docs. We want to mod our server pretty hard, but keep compatibility with official rust client. that means no adding any new sounds or graphics to the game AFAIK. But is there any way to play a server-side placed .wav file through the voice-chat to nearby players? I realize the shortcomings of this solution, and frankly the quality of the sound pushed through the voice chat leaves much to be desired, but it would to for an occasional soundbite from the npc :) if done rarely enough, this would make for a nice surprise for players too i imagine.

i think i have read something once about voice-chat being p2p, which would complicate things a lot. still, the mechanism that oversees voice spreading over the map (based on client's draw range maybe) is worth checking out maybe, as well as investigation into how the p2p voice chat is handled when both sides are behind NAT, maybe it would be possible to push sound stream from a spoofed player there.

i'm thankful for any ideas or suggestions :)

2. Yeah, that seems to be possible, but the problem is you can't load wav file into the plugin. If you can - then it's just matter of code to make i_love_codeoClip and load in into PlayerVoiceSpeaker component ;) You can also TRY to load it from url address :)

3. hi 4seti, thx for your input.
    well, i would expect this to be the least of our problems when doing something like this but i have been proven wrong before ;)
    could you explain why not? i'm gonna take your word for it and assume we can't load files with the standard system functions - still, we could base64-encode them and save in our plugin's data file no?

4. You just cant use File.IO in your plugin. Server can't read wav file. It should be clean bytes in your datafile, else you will not be able to read it. Also, try to dig classes what i mentioned before:)

5. i will definitely check those classes out. it's just not that very high on my list of priors. wanted to start a discussion to see what's possible, good to know it might be an option. by clean bytes can i assume anything that can be safely handled by json parser? if so, encoding them in base64 for storage would solve the problem, later we just copy it to memory and typecast it as desired type? unless C# explicitly forbids you from doing something like that?