1. Untitled-2.jpg
    Everything was just fine before, didnt change any settings, just updated to latest and now cannot get the server running... cant find any info >.< got ideas?
    specs: dedi server, winsrv2012r2, 8gb ram and so on.. had no problems before.

Couldn't create server on port 28015 (unknown)
    (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebug.gen.cpp Line: 56)
    Couldn't Start Server.
    (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebug.gen.cpp Line: 56)
    Make sure your +server.maxplayers is not set to 0

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  2. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

You most likely have another RustDedicated.exe process running in the background on the same port that wasn't closed fully. Check your Task Managed and kill the existing process, then try starting the server again.

3. do you own/have admin on the server (on the windows i mean)? if so, check if the RustDedicated.exe isn't hanging in the task manager, it might be bound to the 28015 port.

also, do you have your rust server in the default directory (steamcmd/common/rust_dedicated)? If you installed it anywhere else, remember you have to force installation path in steamcmd before EVERY update. it might be you forgot it and installed the new one to the default directory, while the old server doesn't even know what's coming yet ;)

4. I actually restarted the OS (its on esxi) a few times while trying to solve this... cuz i thought so too about another process on same port in background (altho there were no rust processes running)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1431099297][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Yes I have full controll of the server (up to ipmi access) and I have the gameserver isntalled in a different dir and I totally remember I have to force install on updating :)

Oh and it would still load (the old server) then... wouldnt it?

5. you seem to not be afraid of getting technical, so the next step would be
    Code:
    netstat -a -n -b
    executed from the ELEVATED privs command line (as admin)
    look for 28015

also what kind of firewall are you using? some can be very harsh, and require updating the rules when the .exe changes.

6. Yes tried that too... port is free as it seems and currently turned off firewall (altho ports (28015-28016) are written in the rules)

7. As a sanity check I would download a whatever small test application (something like netcat will do), bind it to 28015 and execute, check from outside if the port is reachable (sites like http://canyouseeme.org/ are pretty neat for that).

If this goes ok I would probably exclude OS/networking as potential source of your problems, and unfortunately don't really have an idea what could you do next apart from fresh install and adding oxide, saves, plugin to it, in that order and with restarts in between, this should at least give you a scope of the problem.

8. Well I actually did that too already before posting but yeah, another try (btw just told http server to listen on 28015 adittionaly) Untitled-3.jpg

Gonna try the full reinstall again... wish me luck :)

9. do you have any vpn connection set up on that machine by any chance, even disabled? or anything else "non-standard" in your network connections? it might be trying to bind to the wrong interface for some bizzare reason.

10. Clean install... default folder... without oxide... same error >.<
    No the OS has dedicated IP and is used purely for Rust, the whole system is based on vmware (ESXi5) so every OS is isolated from eachother... I access it via RDP, its port is always the same.

11. That's odd, is your pathing setup correctly? And when you ran SteamCMD did it run correctly without errors?

12. hmm just to be absolutely sure (and no offence), but you never stated it anywhere: you do actually use the SteamCMD to update your files? As in, you are not the same guy that post i'm reading on some other website with a very similar problems on a cracked server?

13. Yep I use SCMD :) And yeah seems like I am not the only one who had this problem (google ftw), but I'll be the 1st to solve it

Apparently IF you set maxplayers in batch to 0 Raknet just blocks out all connections and doesnt let the server open up a port...
    I set maxplayers to 0, wanted to check a few mapseeds before getting the server up.. would never think this could happen >.<
    A 4 hour waste.... meh

14. Well if no players are allowed on, it's not going to let anyone on.
    A good way to test seeds is to use rust hq you can check out a generator here: http://www.playrusthq.com/generate-map

15. if this is the only post with solution to this problem on google right now you just saved some random people hundreds of potential hours so not all of it a waste :)

16. I was using rustIO... wanted to see the generated map via webservice without players joining in.

Yea you are right and well thats pretty much worth it :)

17. can you host servers on ports other then 28015. because i want to host 2 servers. one private use and the other public. i dont want to close the public server because its going really wel

18. You can change the port in your start script: +server.port port

19. This doesn't work for me. My max players is set to 50 and I still get this problem

20. I found a solution to this...Check your router settings and check your port forwarding. If anyone needs help, send me an invite (Ankawi) on steam.