1. Is there an easy way of changing the group names we've created?

We have vip, vip+, vip++ and vip+++ and we'd like to rename them to v0, v1, v2, v3 respectively.

At the moment I'm looking at a huge job of creating the new groups, setting all the permissions for them, and then moving the players over one at a time. If there were some easier way to do it with a few commands, that would be great.

2. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

There is no functionality to rename a group, but you could write something to move them to a new group.

3. Would this be an easy something, or...? ;) Presumably C#?

4. @Evilyn Corporated Not a tested method but why not just edit group name from oxide.groups.data and then use a text editor that supports REPLACE and replace the old group name with the new group name from oxide.users.data.

Again, not tested so if you do try it backup your data.

5. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

I'd be very careful with that, as that'd be a good way to easily corrupt the entire file.

6. I don't think this can be done, but we are looking for a way to change the group names. For example we want to change VIP+ to v1. I thought I could maybe do it in the oxide.groups file in the data folder, but it's binary so can't be changed there. Anyone have any clue of another way to do it? @Wulf maybe?

Thanks

7. Yeah, that's what I thought.

I've started work on a spreadsheet using data generated from issuing group show commands. I think I might be able to save a load of time constructing commands by wrapping cells with text around the steam id and then ouputting to a text file.

Then copy paste each line into the console.

It will take a while, but much faster than pasting each steam id into a command string and then copying that string into the console.

EDIT: Sorry I'm using my phone and realised I'm logged in as my main admin account. I'm Evilyn. ;)

8. Just tested the method I provided above and it worked. I changed default to def and then back to default from def. Again, save backups first.

9. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

I wasn't saying it wouldn't work, I just said that it's easy to screw up the file if you change something that shouldn't be touched and then the server wipes it from not recognizing it as being in the right format. ;) Rule of thumb: don't touch the .data files.

10. Thanks guys. It looks like what we've decided to do is build a new themed server and set up all permissions on there from scratch, (and I think...) only adding the vip players from the last 6 months. If someone comes back to the server(s) and says "where's my vip stuff?" then we'll deal with each one as it happens. Taking that tack will minimise the work we have to do up front.

Once we've completed the build, then we'll copy the permissions from the new server to the existing ones (a vip gets ranked on all our servers), one at a time, wait a day or so and see who squeals, if anyone.

I just feel this is the safest way to do it.

Thanks again.