Solved Can't start rust on windows

Discussion in 'Rust Discussion' started by Pasta4, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Trying to run a Rust server on a Windows 7 VM. I just installed the server, no oxide yet or whatever, however i am getting this error:
    hastebin
    I've tried deleting all files and re-installing too. When I start the server, it echoes the RustDedicated.exe... ... ... into the command prompt and then just freezes. Here's the startup script:
    hastebin

2. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Check your RustDedicated_Data/output_log.txt for errors.

3. The first hastebin link in my thread is my output_log.txt

4. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Bundle errors like those would indicate that your Rust server is not fully installed, and likely missing parts of it.

5. How can I fix this? This is my install / update script:
    hastebin

6. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

I'd try again and make sure you get a success message from SteamCMD. You can also force it to update by deleting the steamapps folder.

7. I'll give re-installing for a second time a go. Will report back later.

8. Reinstalled successfully but I'm still getting the same error =/

9. Even after the new update, I'm still getting a similar error: hastebin

10. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Yeah, not sure what's going on then, but "Unable to open archive file: Bundles/Bundles" is not good.

11. Anything (literally anything) I can try? I can't seem to get the server running on windows or debian (different errors)

12. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Well, if your server is not being properly updated/installed via SteamCMD... I'm not really sure what to do.

13. SUCCESS! I decided to re-install the server, but without using force_install_dir, meaning that it was installed inside of the steamcmd/steamapps folder. For some strange reason, it works!

EDIT: Upon further testing, it seems that you need your startup.bat inside of the same folder that your rust server is. I was using Rustx3/serverfiles for the files and was storing startup.bat in Rustx3.

14. Ok so the server is running, however I have another issue - I can't connect to it. I've even tried nmap'ing it and I'm getting a port closed:
    http://i.imgur.com/F4mM7Ro.png

Here's my log:
    hastebin

15. Bump, original issue solved but I still have a major issue

16. Original issue solved => go make a new post for our new problem, no?