1. For a while I administer a large server with online up to 150 people.
    It has been decrease the flow of network traffic while decreasing the amount of incoming data packets if server online increasing for over 80 people.
    22_49_ddos_off_on_off.jpeg
    I have analyzed some packets in this flow.
    most are found, UDP packets:
    (60 bytes) - server info check
    (160 bytes) - steam player connection establish

first one have small body size and need small (80-120 bytes) and undemanding to network resources answer from server
    second, more demanding to network, load the server CPU and requires significant delay in response, about (1000 + bytes)

It seems that we need to make connections and respond to them in the first place =/

how we can bypass that?

The first thing that came to mind - is to filter incoming UDP connections
    but then we cut off a request to the server availability and game data from players ?!?!
    And second, game server uses Windows server, we need iptables or linux kernel for shaping IP protocols and network packets.

Ok, and I do that:

1. Setup Hyper-V on our Windows 2008 Server.
    2. Add VyOS router virtual machine on the same with game server IP network.
    3. Add NAT rule in VyOS to forward game port to router external port.
    4. With runing game server Add VyOS router IP to the Next default Windows gateway.
    5. Change temporarily Windows router table to put all traffic from game IP to router IP (without delete old entry!)

So, now We have:
    All first UDP connections will go to our old server IP, but windows routing table resend answer from another gateway and new IP from VyOS router. And connected player communication go to new IP (DDoS bot does not require confirmation).
    So we divided the primary incoming connections with all game traffic

sorry for my lack of professionalism
    but it works! =)

P.S. After server reboot We need repeat 4-5 articles.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2016
  2. We need to try this but it's a bit over my head
    [DOUBLEPOST=1455666541,1455648518][/DOUBLEPOST]Any chance you could do a clearer guide on this for us? Major DDOS issues right now on OVH....

3. Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2016
  4. RAI

RAI

If you find a solution can you help me too? I'm using OVH too and the attacks are still ongoing, it's been a week now.

5. This thread is old. OVH has a Rust Anti DDoS protection now that works very well.

6. Best to talk with your host then

7. RAI

RAI

I'm using their regular dedicated server right now, is the ddos protection on their gaming server worth it? because when I ordered mine their game servers are not available in singapore yet.

8. If you are using an external host where you have no control over the network, it's either none or some protection.