1. Sending more messages wouldn't help to fix the chat lag btw..

2. There are a few different issues being discussed here. If what Wulf says is true, Oxide sends messages to the client directly via RPC, the server does no processing on that.

Our client side stuff for chat is pretty simple, throw the incoming text message into a buffer, then grab the 8 newest rpc messages offset by scroll amount worth of text and dump the concatenated version into a rich text component.

If you can give me the exact RPCs you are sending to the client that reproduce the issue I can run it in the editor and see whats going wrong.

3. He is probably looking for clans and chat manager with no chat lag. Btw, im looking for something like betterchat too, but still unsuccessfully :c

4. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

The chat lag isn't directly related to BetterChat, it's a client-side issue because of Unity formatting tags from what I've seen.

5. But its easy to fix if you put a false command in the chat since lag.

CHAT SITUATION example.
    Welcome to our Server! Enjoy your life.
    Player1: Hey, wanna go out tonight?
    Player2: Yea, why not..
    <...>
    Chat lag.
    Player1: So, when you will be able to...
    Player1: 12341
    Player1: that lagggg
    Player1: shit
    Player2:lagg?
    Player2:lagg
    Player2:/whatever (chat command that does not exsists)
    SERVER: This chat command does not exsists
    <Chat lag stops FOR EVERYONE because of players2 /whatever command>.

So, what i want to say with it, that if you have BetterChat, the whole chat is probably lagging, and its easy to fix if any of the players on the server know's what to do.
    If there would be a way to make a plugin which spam's a wrong command every secound, it would be the best way to fix the chat lag.

6. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

That makes zero sense. The only thing BetterChat changes in the chat that the client sees is the formatting tags such as color, size, etc. If the client is having an issue handling these, that would be the only thing I can think that is causing the "lag", but that wouldn't explain why sending a command would stop it because the rest of the chat is still formatted until they no longer see it.

7. There is some truth to it. I don't use better chat, but Whenever there is chat lag caused by any mod using a command usually always kicks it back into gear. I tell my players just to use /players command if they see the chat lag.

I'd also like to add one more plugin to the list of those who's data files become too big and cause chat lag. Reporting.... when you have "log all chat" turned on, chat data file quickly exceeds 1MB and it only takes a 750kb or larger data file to start causing chat lag. However the default chatlog becomes disabled, even if you have this turned off... so if you want to use reporting it's a choice between no chat log and increasingly bad chat lag.

8. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Writing to a log file should not create any noticeable performance loss unless your server hardware either has issues or isn't capable of adequate i/o speeds.

9. Well the larger the data file the mod writes to, the longer amount of time it says it calls the hooks to them, according to the oxide log file. When this approaches 1000 ms, chat lag increases. The chat lag frequently matches up with the "Calling '______' on '____' took _____ms [GARBAGE COLLECT]" messages in the oxide log. I use Host Havoc for my server. CPU usage averages below 20% and memory usage below 50%. For investigative purposes, I have tried to get the resource usage to spike with putting in a large amount of commands, but have not gotten any results from that. So I don't think it is really a server performance issue, per say. I have largely resolved the issue by reducing the mods that develop data files that approach 1MB.

It should also be noted that this issue was nowhere to be seen until around July. Not sure what might have changed, but before that I really never experienced any appreciable performance impacts, within chat or otherwise, from the oxide mods until then... unless a player or group of players were intentionally excessively spamming a command at the same time.

And yeah a player can quickly cure the chat lag for themselves temporarily by using any given command after the lag starts, oddly enough.

That's really all I got though, hopefully the issue can be found. I agree there it is odd for chat lag if there isn't a server performance issue, but if server performance is the issue the evidence of such is no where to be found.

10. @Wulf,
    Yeah, that makes zero sense, but the point is, it works. On every server i played, if they got the chat lag - i just put in a false chat command and it stops to lagg. Works fine, and not only for me. Check it out yourself :3

11. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

From previous reports though, it sounds like client lag, not server lag due to tag rendering. So that server side performance issue would t be the same.

12. If you (1 player on the serv) write a /false command, the chat stops to lag for everybody on this serv.
    So its not client side, its server side.

13. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

That doesn't really prove that it's server-side. ;)

14. nyah :< now if i think about it, yea.. but.. i want to ask you
    Is it hard to make a spam-plugin? like the plugin would send once in a sec a /wrong /chatcommand?

15. Overall I'm just here to provide additional info and I'm sure you are correct, but either way I don't think it should be this widespread

16. Hi all. happy holidays. can you tell Hardworld why chat hangs from 3 to 19 minutes.

17. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Most likely excessive Unity formatting tags being used from a plugin. It is discussed in this thread.

18. the problem is still relevant, the developers did not think to fix it? (hello @cowtrix)

19. I would really like a way to use tags in chat like betterchat does i used to be able to use it before that update we really need a way to fix this plugin ASAP or a new one