1. I was just browsing along lists of servers - and came along a server with 66% uptime with more than 200 players, exceeding its limit of 44 players.

Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 22.08.12.png

2. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

That would be using faking the user count, which is can get the server blacklisted and is unsupported here.

3. idk if this is faking pop, a mate of mine was on a server, when I went to view game info it said something like 32/44 but both on rust io and in game the player count was 167/250 with 167 sleepers. Would this be faking pop or would have it been a steam error?

4. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

They could be bypassing the queue too, but more than likely faking the population.

5. Steam can't handle more than 256 players using their API.

The 44 is because max players are 300
    251 is because it's 251 players and not above 256, if it was 257 players it would show 1/44

In other words, a server displaying those numbers are no indication they are botting.
    Use BattleMetrics to see their playerlist.

6. Maxaki is right - my server has 350 slots, and it shows a really weird number on the list - although we have 350/350 (and we are not faking the pop, obviously).

7. You can run a query at the server's port and it will give you the real number of users.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1488467020][/DOUBLEPOST]That server has fake population.

Attached Files:

8. Thats wrong. I used LinuxGSM and setting slots to 300 Steam, Rust-Servers.net and Gametracker are showing me 44 Slots :/

9. its a bug in the player administartor plugin

10. I helped Rust-Servers.net to fix this bug

256 bc of one byte (0 slots are not possible) thats why it will show you the difference to 256 (300 = 44, 400 = 144 and so on)

So instead of query MaxPlayers, you have to query GameTags and split it by comma. The mpXX value contains your real slot count where XX stands for your slotcount

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2018