Protocol: 2062.158.1
    Build Date: 03/04/2018 15:50:41
    Unity Version: 2017.1.3f1
    Changeset: 25787
    Branch: release
    Oxide.Rust Version: 2.0.3853

Code:
    rustserver version:  171014

scientists near junkpiles simply stopped spawning at all.

On my non-public staging server they also stopped spawning in Military Tunnels.

Is there an issue with the latest server build?

The config in server.cfg remained unchanged and it was working fine before:
    Code:
    squadmanager.squad_disable false
    npcplayerapex.npc_junkpile_a_spawn_chance 0,1
    npcplayerapex.npc_junkpile_g_spawn_chance 0,1

2. as far as i know they disabled them due to server instability
    Its on rust web site.

3. Thanks for replying. Could you please point me where exactly did they post it? Do you mean this commit?
    upload_2018-3-7_0-32-2.png
    or that one from March the 1st:
    upload_2018-3-7_0-32-52.png
    ?

Beacause these commits doesn't exactly tell that they cannot be enabled. Scientists were disabled by default in February and yet you still were able to enable them via convar.

4. Code:
    squadmanager.squad_disable false
    npcplayerapex.npc_junkpile_a_spawn_chance 0,1
    npcplayerapex.npc_junkpile_g_spawn_chance 0,1
    dunno if this was a copy paste mistake or if it is actually your problem, but you have a comma instead of a period.

0,1 -> 0.1

Also, try running npcplayerapex.npc_junkpile_g_spawn_chance in console without any parameters following and it should report what the current convar is set to.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1520384241][/DOUBLEPOST]Nevermind, npcplayerapex.npc_junkpile_a_spawn_chance and npcplayerapex.npc_junkpile_g_spawn_chance are not working for me either. Guess they disabled the convars completely?

5. correct they can,but they also stated they are turned off as u can see yourself.
    So its most likely any issues with these are down to Facepunch till they fix it.

6. They ninja changed all of the server convars. I've added all of the latest convars for enabling and setting the scientist up. We've got the men in blue up and running again on my server.

Check here: RUST Scientist Command

7. Kill the NPC and you will be kicked from the server :)

They didn't disable them for nothing... there's a bug right now

8. That bug is not reproducing itself on my server currently. When was that reported?

9. I have no problems with killing scientists on my server either, after enabling them via commands @Digital Ghost pointed to - no kicking.

Also, thanks Digital for replying with that link - it worked! :)

10. But did you update the server after this weekend?

11. I did - I wrote my first post on Wednesday.

12. Thanks for digging this up! I was wondering what happened when the commands listed in the last blog no longer returned the current setting.

Nice to have that PvE feeling back!

13. Does anyone know the difference between junkpiles a and g? Which ones are which?