1. I am running a zombie horde server, and when killing zombies (murderers spawned with the BotSpawn plugin) every once in awhile I will receive red text spam with the error posted. Sometimes it will boot myself or players when the error is hit. I have no idea which plugin may be causing the error.

Code:
    disconnecting: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    SimpleFlare.CalculateLights ()
    SimpleFlare.Update ()[/CHere is a list of my current plugins:

Attached Files:

2. OK, so after hours of testing on an old instance of my server, disabling pluygins and searching through .cs and .json files, I've found that a server wipe fixed the issue. I have two guesses at what was happening, but I haven't been able to intentionally recreate the error to prove it.

1. I removed a searchlight that was still turned on with the eraser tool(Build plugin) and that played a part in the error

2. One of the lamps got removed that one of the nofuel plugins was connected to, possibly with the eraser tool(Build plugin)

That's my best guess, but who knows. And how that is related to killing the murderer spawns has me shruggin.

3. Annd another update.
    So, I switched back over to my main server, wiped it and fired it up thinking things are going to be good to go, a few minutes into running around killing zombies, BOOM, the error is back. After a few minutes of cursing and wanting to punch my computer I switched back over to the old server again. I only copied over the config for 2 of my plugins: Kits and Rewards. Started killing zombies again, and sure enough there is the error. The only thing I can think, is that in my autokit for admins, I had equipped them with the gloweyes item. It seems with this removed the error does not exist. Which is a shame because it looks awesome haha.

TL;DR
    Don't use the gloweyes in your autokits.

Will update if I end up being wrong and the error comes back... again.

4. I sent my server live on a dedicated server.... and the error has returned. Please if anyone has any tips/info they can give me to fix this I would really appreciate it. This is killing me

Or at least a way to make it so the server doesn't boot the player when the error hits.

connect 45.76.62.206:28016
    if you wanna check out the server.

5. Hey bud, i have had fun reading this, its like you been having a conversation with yourself, i was about tell you that i had an error with glowing eyes. luckily i was able to identify alot quicker as it happened straight after i claimed one of my kits including them.

i will prob check out your sever to at some point =)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2017
  6. Haha, I'm glad you're entertained, but sadly the error is still there. This is from my Rcon console just today

(14:53:24) | (IP Retracted)/76561198078815051/SlasherGamer disconnecting: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

SimpleFlare.Update ()

Version: 24523

(14:53:38) | (IP Retracted)/76561198078815051/SlasherGamer joined [windows/76561198078815051]

(14:53:38) | SlasherGamer[488668/76561198078815051] has entered the game

(14:53:53) | [Rewards] SlasherGamer got 50 for killing Zombie

(14:53:53) | Zombie[309021/76561190001569275] was killed by SlasherGamer[488668/76561198078815051]

(14:53:54) | [Rewards] SlasherGamer got 50 for killing Zombie

(14:53:54) | Zombie[456116/76561190006896748] was killed by SlasherGamer[488668/76561198078815051]

(14:53:55) | (IP Retracted)/76561198078815051/SlasherGamer disconnecting: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

SimpleFlare.Update ()

7. SlasherGamer. Is this you or a player? Ok im not sure my error was exactly the same however. i wiped my kits and just installed fresh plugin, also killed my playerdata and restarted my sever. i got no more errors after this. or crashes.

I wish i could help you further but all i can throw at you is suggestions. The only error i actually see is the
    Code:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

its usually a plugin that i see causing this type of error and from experience updating ImageLibrary usually helps here.

Im not sure what this is. Ending script before restart or part of the error itself.
    Code:
    SimpleFlare.CalculateLights ()SimpleFlare.Update () 

8. SlasherGamer is a player that was connected at the time the error hit. I wasn't actually connected at the time, just keeping an eye on Rcon.

The SimpleFlare error shows up every time the NullReferenceException error hits, and the player gets booted from the server.

By player data are you referencing the player_data file created from ServerRewards?

Thank you for the help!

9. This error is killing my server, if anyone has information on how to figure out what is causing this I would be incredibly grateful. Willing to send a paypal thank you for information that will help me figure this out.

10. Delete your map.sav and choose a new seed. also have you updated image library, and also No fuel requirements had an update today. you have both those plugins yourself.

I had been having a few errors with crashes all based on my own player data. random things like causing everyone to packet flood, or timeout. i had to wipe my player data and kill myself, now as far as im aware playerdata is found in the my_server folder under USER, It contains a loaos of what seems like random numbers as the folder name, however each number is the next number in the steam id of that player. once you reach that players data delete it. Kill your character in game also.

These suggestions are a shot in the dark, however you have a few plugins that deal with light and fuel, and the word flare logic would be something to with light at my best guess. Have you reset your kits and remade them?

have you checked under your data folder and checked any configs stored there?

11. Honestly I didn't fully read everything but it seems like you're talking to yourself and it seems to solve some stuff. You're not mad and nothing is wrong with it. 70% of programmers talk to themselves when debugging to sort out a problem. Even I do it. Take a look at this: Rubber Duck Debugging

(Yes there are actual programmers that use actual rubber ducks.)

12. Haha, it was just my way of letting people know know what I have tried, and as a reference for myself. The Rubber Duck Debugging is pretty neat through.

13. OK, so the plot thickens.
    The error only happens if there is some kind of modification to the server time, locking the time at 12AM with "env.time 0" -> "env.progresstime 0" ... or by using the TimeOfDay to lock the time at 12AM. Also if I set TimeOfDay to skip day instead of locking it at 12, I also get the error.

The result is also the same with TimeOfDay completely removed and just using the server commands to lock the time.

I reinstalled the server and let it run without any modifications to the env.time from plugins or server commands from 1 AM last night, until 10:40 AM this morning. I had multiple players and 100s of zombie deaths completely error free until almost exactly 20 minutes after I ran the server commands "env.time 0" -> "env.progresstime 0". So it seems apparent that the error is resulting from a lack of a day time cycle. Which is a problem as I want to run the server completely at night. Now I'm not sure if the error is a result of plugins or a problem in Rust itself.

I've uploaded my server log from Rcon from the time the server started at 1 AM until about 5:30 PM today if anyone cares to take a look.

For reference I first ran the "env.time 0" command at 10:40:46 in the log

Attached Files:

14. Before you go on wasting your's and anyone elses time, you sould know that anything "SimpleFlare" related is a clientside ONLY component.
    There's nothing on it where anyone here can support you from Oxide's side.
    you should consult the dedicated FP-game support. nothing else will bring you forward, cause its NO server-side error, and also nothing plugin and/or oxide related!!

15. Maybe try validating game files

16. Thank you! This is the information I needed. I will forward the error to FP and let them know of it's existence. I appreciate the feedback.

17. Hello, i have today some player was kicked and get this "error"

Code:
    playerIP/SteamID/PlayerName disconnecting: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    SimpleFlare.Update ()Version: 24927
    [Oxide] 16:02 [Info] [Notifier] PLayerName left the server (Reason: Disconnected)

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)PLayerIP/SteamID/PLayerNAme disconnecting: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    [Oxide] 16:02 [Info] [Notifier] PLayerName left the server (Reason: Disconnected)

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)PLayerIP/SteamID/PLayrNAme disconnecting: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    so now my question is it a rust issue or is it a some plugin issue?

i know that this player are fighting to a NPC murderers(some are normal and some are with weapons kit) . this npc was created with a plugin BotSpawn

any idea?

18. My players are getting kicked too from time to time with this error. Could it be NightLantern plugin?

disconnecting: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object SimpleFlare.CalculateLights () SimpleFlare.Update () Version: 26172

19. @Wulf

Code:
    disconnecting: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    SimpleFlare.Update ()Version: 26446

20. @Wulf Players on my server are still getting disconnected with killing Murderer's. We are getting this errror Dawg disconnecting: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object SimpleFlare.CalculateLights () (at <ffbd04b0381845ed99bc2b8616f3c2c4>:0) SimpleFlare.Update () (at <ffbd04b0381845ed99bc2b8616f3c2c4>:0

Not sure if this is with oxide or FacePunch