1. Ive decided to start my own server on Rust due to the amount of hacks and kills, ive been following a video on how to do it but i've already hit an issue.

Ive downloaded the steamCMD and ran the string to get the required files, and in the video when he runs the rust_server.exe the CMD creates additional files when the game loads, however, when i do it, i don't get the additional files.

Can anyone help me out?

2. I have followed the steps in the guide perfectly, however, i still have the same issue that when i either:

A) Launch .bat file, i get the CMD screen but no game screen or
    B) Launch rust_server.exe and i get the start rust screen but once i choose my settings its a black screen and the CMD does nothing else past what it is supposed to do.

http://imgur.com/eSlqGmc[DOUBLEPOST=1411766012][/DOUBLEPOST]ive started the game via steam and entered the address in the guide but cant seem to use any admin controls

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2014
  3. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

You aren't connected to your server. Your game showing a black screen after changing settings has nothing to do with the server.

4. so i dont understand what ive done wrong? any idea on how to get connected to my server?

5. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

How did you try to connect to it?

6. i followed the steps in the link Mughisi showed. Now i have rust running via steam with the .bat file running and appear to be on my server but with no admin permissions. Ive downloaded Rusty but that wont connect to my server

7. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

If you were on the server, you'd see a notice in the server console that you connected. So how did you connect to the server?

8. yes, on the cmd window it said "cainkapow" connected followed by what i can guess to be my unique ID (long number)

9. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Where? Your screenshot doesn't show that. http://i.imgur.com/eSlqGmc.png

10. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Okay, so it sounds like your issue is that you haven't set an RCON password in serverdata/cfg/server.cfg, which means you can't login via RCON to use the commands.

11. Okay so there is no file in serverdata/cfg/server.cfg. I understand that it can be created, but i have no idea what actually goes into it. Is there somekind of download of this file?

I have seen comments on a previous question about this and want to mention that all my files are legit

12. The server.cfg is the servers config file that holds server commands that will be executed everytime the server starts.
    All commands available can be found here http://playrustwiki.com/wiki/Server_Commands

13. thanks.

I created one including the rcon password and server name with a couple of test parameters, but to no avail. The server says it has loaded the file but when i use the console to punch in the password, it still says rcon not set up, i also change a couple things and use the console to save, but no changes are made to the server file.

14. The server doesnt change the config file itself it only loads it, you have to do it and restart the server after.
    Maybe post your server.cfg (password censored) and tell us how you try to login into rcon.

15. ive actually just decided to pay for a 50man server, thanks a bunch for all of your help guys