Solved No server.cfg?

Discussion in 'Rust Discussion' started by -BWL- Bay, May 8, 2015.

1. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Plugins do not rely on the server.cfg file. The server.cfg file is just for your own use to add commands/settings to the server startup.

2. Well I've placed all the plugins I needed and in-game they're not appearing? at all
    Screenshot

3. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

4. Okay, well how would I manually make a server.cfg :)

5. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

In either your FTP or file manager through your host, browse to your server/identity/cfg folder and make a new file named server.cfg, done.

6. Okay I'm adding the plugins now, let me do this and I'll get back to you :)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1460077767][/DOUBLEPOST]Screenshot How's that?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1460078347][/DOUBLEPOST]so far it's a blank cfg.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1460079005][/DOUBLEPOST]How do I fix the blank server.cfg because nothing is in the folder

7. This thread is a bit old and I also know some server hosting sites are different but this is pretty simple.
    I just happen to run across the thread while looking for other information and thought Id add some input for newer admin starting servers.

Find your server.cfg file or config tab depending on who you are hosting through or if you're hosting from your own PC.
    In the file it should look something like:

-batchmode +server.ip 108.61.109.225 +server.port 28016 +server.level "Procedural Map" +server.seed 2170163 +server.maxplayers 50 ...etc

All you have to do is add: +server.description "input your server description here" +server.url "input your server url" +server.headerimage "direct URL to headerimage"

Everytime your server restarts from that point on, it should reload all these settings.

8. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

That is not the format for server.cfg, that would be what you place in your .bat or .sh. The format of the server.cfg should be one command per line, no + or - prefixing them.

9. For GameSevers and previously used Streamline Servers services, I was UNABLE to actually create a server.cfg that functioned as intended and my instructions support the ONLY way I was able to get it working correctly. You are correct, its not the correct format for your server.cfg file so I will correct myself,

These instructions apply to the Server Command Line Advanced Editor.

10. Hours in and I cannot get a different outcome. I've been through every single posting and linking I could possibly find on changing my map settings. I've created dozens of .bats and .cfgs, I've followed every step, nuked it all and started over time and time again...the result is always the same. No matter what I do, soon as I start the server, no matter how many cfg notes or .bat files exist...first thing it does is generates default 3500 map with default seed. I don't know if there's anything left that can be done to help here, but I'm just about ready to give up on the whole thing.

I beg for help. Anything. Wulf, I thank you for all your efforts on your writings but not a single .bat or .cfg put anywhere seems to help me. So don't take it as a personal attack. ;P. Anyways, please...anything, any advice...I just can't get this to work.

11. Hello! Create server.cfg file on myserv/cfg directory AND put on you .bat-file line +server.identity "myserv" Rust will read your cfg-file from that directory

12. On my server the server.cfg isnt loaded properly.

I have it like this: /RustServer/cfg/server.cfg
    where /RustServer/ is the folder where my RustDedicated.exe is.

What did I do wrong? Also, is there a way to manually load a config after the server has already been started?

//Edit: Solved. I had a wrong prefix ':' after each cvar *facepalm*

13. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

The cfg/server.cfg is always under your server/identity location.

14. I got my server.cfg located in C:\rust\server\my_server_identity\cfg, and it still doensnt load in my stuff.

This is what my server.cfg contains:
    server.radiation false
    ownerid 76561198288392823
    ownerid 76561198411713442

15. ownerid does not go into that file

16. @Wulf

What command can be used in the start.bat file to call the server.cfg to load on server launch? If any?

Thanks

17. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

It's called automatically by Rust.

18. Ok, thank you very much :) I appreciate the quick response. It seems hard to understand for some xD

19. This thread is still the first hit on google for RustDedicated.exe and server.cfg.

It would be great if -BWL- Bay or Wulf could edit their first posts to provide the correct information as the first page of this thread currently has a lot of incorrect instructions. This post in particular is a root cause of the confusion.