1. So this happened to me again today and I decided to try to take note of the events and other things.

1. I applied the patch last night. This means I installed the Rust patch, Oxide update and Rust IO.
    2. I updated a bunch of plugins due to the changes in Rust.
    3. This morning someone tells me that they don't have permissions to backpacks.
    4. I check their permissions, they aren't in any groups.
    5. I check the default group and no one is in it.
    6. I check the various groups and all the permissions are associated to the groups. Just no members.

So that appears like the oxide.groups.data file is ok right??
    And that the oxide.users.data file is screwed somehow??

Then I did some testing.

1. I joined the server to see if I was added to the default group. I wasn't.
    2. I restarted the server, then joined to see if I was added to the default group. I wasn't.

What the hell??

I have a backup from 10/24 so I'll try a restore, but this is crazy. I contacted my host to see if they had ideas.

Any ideas here?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1509112735][/DOUBLEPOST]Turns out the oxide.users.data file from today was 17KB The one from 10/24 was almost 20MB

2. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

The file hasn't changed, the hook that adds new users to the default groups just wasn't being called when they connect. It was fixed via a 2nd update last night.

3. Was this a longstanding issue that was just found? I ask because I had this issue long ago, then another time, and then this morning.

Keep in mind my oxide.users.data file from today was 17KB The one from 10/24 was almost 20MB. Somehow my oxide.users.data got hosed, but it appears this happened to me 3 times.

4. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

No, it was from the same day.

5. Ok, not sure if this is really fixed then. Part of it was in that players didn't get added to default group, but that's not really the main issue.

The main issue is my oxide.users.data file keeps getting screwed and I have no idea why.

6. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Nothing has changed with the storage, it was just that the hook where users were automatically added wasn't being called. The actual permission system has not changed in many many months. The "fix" is just fixing the hook so that they are added automatically so it doesn't have to be done manually. :p

7. This isn't really funny to me and that isn't what this thread is mainly about so I'm saying it's not fixed. I'm the one with the issue so I would know.

8. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

If the file was somehow corrupted, it would have been reset. The adding to default groups though was fixed.

9. Yeah I agree that was fixed. I updated my server.

I'm just concerned since it appears my file was corrupted 3 times now. No other files are having issues like this so something is wrong.

I'm highly suspicious of the loyalty plugin because it's no longer putting people in groups like it should, but I can't prove anything. That's the only plugin I have that fiddles with groups.

10. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

That plugin simply runs the methods from Oxide so the plugin would likely not be causing the directly, but if something is in the process of writing something to the file while something else does, it could be causing the file to not be properly written. Just a theory though. Size of the .data file may matter too, as obviously large files would take more time to write/read than smaller ones.

11. Some players on my server have this problem. Oxide updated. Maybe I should delete the group "Default"?

12. Do you know if 20MB is large for that file? My server is low pop compared to others.

13. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

All the random connections adds up, so maybe. I know some have mentioned slowdowns when that file gets larger.

14. Alright...I guess I'm still no better off than I was.

15. Something interesting happened recently.

Originally my oxide.users.data file was almost 20MB, now I looked at it's 1.8MB. However, most of the people who were in the groups are currently still in those groups. I didn't lose much data (there were roughly 15 people I had to re-add, but everything was mostly intact.

Did something change with oxide? Is this issue possibly fixed? Was there crap in my file causing issues?

16. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Nothing has changed with groups or permissions in many many months.

17. This thing keeps getting stranger and stranger haha How could it possibly go from 20MB to 2M without much data loss?!?!

I'm not going to restore the 20MB file obviously, but I feel like I'm in haunted house haha