1. I have old POS server... Moving to new hardware. I cant just take the drive out and move it. But I need to move everything on the server All players, Map everything.

Where is the cache stored? When I check the server. Everything is wiped.

2. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

I'd just copy the entire /server folder if you want everything, including plugins, etc. The map and player data is stored under /server/identity/UserPersistence.db and /server/identity/saves/.

3. Yeah, turned into a wipe.

4. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Are you sure you used the same seed and map size in your settings/startup script? I think today's update was a forced wipe too.

5. yup yup hapisisland.

... argh server update now....

6. Not sure how to navigate through forums but here is my problem, I host an official rust server from gameservers.com when rust updates through steam I have to log into the server admin console and update server in which it installs the latest version of the game. Now 2 other friends of mine built a massive base and when the server updated everything was gone. I know that we did not get raided because the server did not have many people on it and whatever people were on it it would of taken days and hrs to get the items made up to raid it. Any advise on what to do?

7. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Are you sure the whole map wasn't wiped? One of the recent updates was a forced wipe I believe.

HapisIsland still requires a seed to be set I believe, else it wipes each time.

8. Hello. New in forum and quite new in RUST at all.. i made my first server (just to test how "easy" it will be to make) i run it now in my primary computer. I am very surprised with those player numbers. Server has been on little less than 3 days now, and already "good" amount players joined, so there is that problem that i need to restart/close my computer some times to prevent damage (custom water loop needs cleaning and maintenance).

So that question for just to be sure that i can move without wipe out those players work and lose all current players. How i can properly move my server with player and plugin data? Do i need clean server install to "new" computer or just copy/paste (whole server folder) and run startup script in new computer? Of course i need to forward ports again etc. but this is not so big problem that i can handle.

Another question is for the wipe. How that procedural map identifies itself? just size and seed in startup script right and ALL data will remain after restarting the server? i have saveloop(600s) i generated map when started first time, i have not setted up seed at all, so if i take that seed from eg. livemap or from server, the map will remain same without wipe when i restart? and the mapwipe is that i just change seed (with or without size) and that will change map, but remain all plyerdata (bps etc.)?

May be stupid questions, but want to be sure that doing all right for the first time, so thanks for understanding :)

9. Well, moving a server is pretty simple.

identity/Storage.db
    and
    identity/UserPersistence.db
    contain user related data, like blueprints. If you want to move those, move those files to the new server into the same location.

identity/save/<map dir>
    contains map data. The map data contains player's inventories as well. To move the map and player's inventories, move <map dir> into the save dir of your new server.

identity/oxide
    contains all your plugins, the specific configurations, data, logs and all that jazz. Moving the entire dir is probably the best idea. If you want to reduce the time required to transfer, delete the contents of the logs dir, since that usually (except for some obscure plugins?) doesn't actually contain any data vital for the server.

identity/cfg
    contains all your Rust specific configuration, bans, owners and other stuff.

As Wulf said, it's probably the best to just move the entire identity (or even the entire server) dir. Logs in that dir aren't relevant to the server - if you don't need them, you can safely delete them to speed up the transfer.

Make sure to launch the server with the same seed and size parameters as before, otherwise Rust will generate a new map.

Another important tip: When moving the server, make sure your players know they'll have to search for the name of the server again because the IP changed. Most people just check their history/favourites and assume the server is gone.

Your other questions should already be answered by the stuff above, but here's a quick writeup:
    • The map save is defined by size and seed. Regarding the "random" seed you use, this might be of interest to you: Devblog 88, "Next I addressed the issue that our official servers rarely change their map seed. It’s a pain for us to change the seed of all our servers by hand, so I made it that when no seed is specified the server generates a unique seed that automatically changes every month together with the wiping update. This doesn’t change anything for community servers that prefer to choose their own seed, but server owners now have the option to use this automated behaviour if they like.", which means that the automatic seed is only changed once a month and persistent between restarts.
    • Storage.db and UserPersistance.db are important for user data, delete them when you want to wipe blueprints.
    • To wipe the map, you can indeed just change the size/seed to generate a new map, or you could delete the specific map dir, which would allow you to wipe the map/inventories without changing seed/size.

10. I've just tried this, moving the server to another computer. I've moved all of the important files like you have listed above but I'm getting an error:
    "EndOfStreamException: Failed to read past end of stream."
    I don't know what is causing this and a google search has revealed that this is a deserilization error, although I don't know what that means.

11. You made fresh install to that new computer? i have no idea about that error, but i managed to do that... First made fresh rust install - run server - close server - installed oxide - run server again - close it - move stuff to new server. and there we are. i think that you dont have to do all these steps, but i did that way and it worked fine (you can keep that old server running all the time, so there might be nearly no stop at all) now i am going to do another move maybe next weekend (bought new server machine)

12. Oh, well I'm not using oxide currently, and wasn't planning on it. The error only comes up when I add the .sav files into the folder, if I don't then it loads up without them and just creates new ones.

13. aah. ok. do you use same identity on your new server? you can run that new server with old startup.bat. You have started that new server before trying to use old fileslet it make new saves and just replace those when moving. Close server before move old stuff to new one? (iam out of ideas if that doesn't work)

14. I'm not quite sure what you said, but I've tried running the server to see if it will work without specific saves and it can be connected to, just the world save data transferring gives an error.

15. there is that file what you use to start server. you can use old file to start new server (to make sure that all remains same) start new server with old file and after that replace save files

16. I'll try again when I have access to the computer again, and I will let you know if that works.