1. Hello,

I'm trying to set up 2 different rust servers - 1 vanilla server (already running) and 1 modded server (not working).

I have set up the server the following way:

I created a new linux-user and downloaded the script and edited it

Code:
    # Server Details
    servicename="rust-server-mod"
    gamename="Rust"
    engine="unity3d"

Code:
    servername="Rust"
    ip="0.0.0.0"
    updateonstart="off"
    port="28025"
    rconport="28026" 
    rconpassword="CHANGE_ME"
    maxplayers="50"

Then I installed the server with the script and tried to start it with ./rustserver start but got this message:

Code:
    [ FAIL ] Starting rust-server-mod: Unable to start Rust

Gamelog:

Code:
    Mono path[0] = '/home/rustservermodded/serverfiles/RustDedicated_Data/Managed'
    Mono path[1] = '/home/rustservermodded/serverfiles/RustDedicated_Data/Mono'
    Mono config path = '/home/rustservermodded/serverfiles/RustDedicated_Data/Mono/etc'
    Player is already running(Filename:  Line: 457)

Debug:

Code:
    Rust Debug
    ============================Distro: Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
    Arch: x86_64
    Kernel: 3.13.0-79-generic
    Hostname: titan147Start parameters:
    ./RustDedicated -batchmode +server.ip XXXXXX +server.port 28025 +server.tickrate 30 +server.hostname "Rust" +server.identity "rust-server-mod"  +server.maxplayers 50 +server.worldsize 4000 +server.saveinterval 300 +rcon.ip XXXXXXX +rcon.port 28026 +rcon.password "CHANGE_ME" -logfile "gamelog-2016-03-08-03-35-01.log"Use for identifying server issues only!
    Press CTRL+c to drop out of debug mode.
    Warning! If rust-server-mod is already running it will be stopped.Continue? [Y/n]y
    [ INFO ] Debug rust-server-mod: Stopping any running servers
    [ FAIL ] Stopping rust-server-mod: Rust is already stopped
    [  OK  ] Debug rust-server-mod: Starting debug
    Set current directory to /home/rustservermodded/serverfiles
    Found path: /home/rustservermodded/serverfiles/RustDedicated

Do I need to change something else or did I do something wrong?

2. Not related to LGSM, nor to Oxide.
    But i'm curious to know if anybody managed to run 2 Rust Linux servers on the same machine.
    My guess is it's a mono process that can only be started once per machine. We need a workaround.

3. One person in the Rust servers slack group has mentioned running multiple rust linux servers on one machine.

4. Flash news, we got somebody that had 2 servers running too !
    Multiple rust servers (Modded & Vanilla) :: Linux Game Server Managers

I'll investigate that :D
    [DOUBLEPOST=1457462994][/DOUBLEPOST]So, we can all thank CedarLUG for that amazing discovery !
    This issue is due to the fact that upon start, RustServer checks if it's already started... on any user. And of course, it refuses to start up if it detects any other RustServer process started, whatever the user is.
    So the easiest workaround we came out with, waiting for Facepunch or Unity to hopefully fix this, is to block a user A from seing user B's started processes. You'll also gain some security as otherwise, any other user on your machine is able to see all start parameters from your servers, including the Rust RCON password. This is the default Debian behavior, and probably other distros too, so now you know.

To do so, login to root, then run
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw,hidepid=2 /proc
    Here you go, you can already run one server per user. (don't forget to use different ports)

To keep this modification after reboot, edit /etc/fstab, then change the proc line accordingly
    Code:
    nano /etc/fstabproc    /proc    proc    defaults,hidepid=2    0    0
    To revert, run
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw,hidepid=0 /proc
    and remove ",hidepid=2" from /etc/fstab.

More info Linux: Hide Processes From Other Users

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2016
  5. Are you guys running Linux in a desktop environment with Gnome, KDE, etc...?

Googling the error "Player is already running" seems to indicate the error is a conflict between Chrome and Steam.

6. Dude, you're late at the party, see my previous message, we finally figured out why Rust is having that behavior, and how to solve it.
    BTW, of course i'm not using an interface on my dedicated server ! Why the hell would i use that, when it would be used to open a comand prompt 99% of the time ? lol

7. A more easy solution is:
    you need 2 Rust-Server installations.
    In one of them you need to rename the folder "RustDedicated_Data" to, let's say "RustDedicated2_Data" and the file "RustDedicated" to "RustDedicated2".
    If you are using Oxide, you need to modify the file oxide.root.json. Modify the first line from ""ExtensionDirectory": "RustDedicated_Data\\Managed"," to ""ExtensionDirectory": "RustDedicated2_Data\\Managed",".

You are done.

Very stupid solution but it works.

8. That's actually what CedarLUG found first. It's not a stupid solution though, what's stupid is that Rust forces us to do that. Lol.
    One command + add ",hidepid=2" to a file is actually easier, and... you gain security on your system. That's why we didn't bother sharing that first solution, but who knows, it may help someone, thanks for sharing.

9. tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:28016 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 17826/RustDedicated
    udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:2215 0.0.0.0:* 17826/RustDedicated
    udp 0 0 0.0.0:28015 0.0.0.0:* 17826/RustDedicated

port 2215 WTF??????????
    this is the problem

10. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

It isn't unless you physically have something setup to be on that port.

11. Okey, I have faced this issue today after moving my servers to Linux. Since this is still not fixed nor there is good workaround I had to come up with my own solution.

You need to open up your "RustDedicated" in a HEX editor and find following sequence of bytes:
    0F 84 ?? FE FF FF 45 31 C9 41 B8 01 00 00 00 B9 C9 01 00 00
    (?? represents some number)

Change this to:
    E9 ?? FE FF FF CC 45 31 C9 41 B8 01 00 00 00 B9 C9 01 00 00
    (Here replace ?? with ?? + 1, i.e. you had B1 before, you show write B2 now)

This just detours part of the code that is responsible for shutting down your server if another instance is already launched. Tested this on my server for over 24hr. now.

I can attach a working EXE for patching this in case you don't want to do this by hand, just PM me.

12. Hi. I've two rust istance on the same server.
    I think that your problem is that when you create the second user, you edited the rustserver file without installing it.
    You need to use the command ./rustserver install
    Install it on the home of the second user then edit rustserver changing name, ports,etc

13. funny thing is if your vanilla uses non-opened ports, while your modded does, users can only connect to vanilla. (even tho desc & name is modded)