Rust Hardcore mode

Discussion in 'Plugin Requests' started by RawkStar, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Grab yourself a stack of cooked wolf meat and light a campfire, because this is going to be a long post. There’s a TL;DR at the bottom for those who want to skip reading all the details and want to get straight to the point.

Alright, well to start off this is going to be more of an ongoing project rather than just 1 plugin. I wasn’t sure where else to ask all of this without making multiple posts. I’ll give an overview of what I’m looking to achieve, followed by requests. Some of what I request may not be doable (either currently or ever) or has already been made and I’m just not aware of it. I have some minor experience with coding, but nowhere near the amount that most of the people here do. Any guidance, advice and time from those who can offer it is greatly appreciated.

The Overview:

What I’m looking to achieve is something of a more immersive and realistic survival experience, where stepping outside and gathering resources takes planning and consideration. No more roaming at night unless you’re in desperate need for shelter or supplies. No more “spray and pray” shootouts, every bullet counts. It’s not the size of your base that matters, it’s how well you designed and built it.

What I’d like to do is try and shift a bit more attention to the PVE side of things. PVP will always be a huge part of Rust, however I feel that the “survival” aspect of the game has fallen solely on surviving against other players and not the surroundings and environment.

Requests:

I’ll be throwing out all the ideas I’ve had and what I’d like to do and I’ll leave it to the coder community to determine if what I’m asking is possible or not and if anyone is interested in creating it.

• Modify spawn rates on certain animals (ie: more aggressive mobs like wolves/bears, less passive mobs such as chickens and deer)
    • Modify animal behavior. Make them more aggressive and follow for greater distances. Make passive animals attack and become aggressive once they've been hit by a weapon. Make them faster at night (both animals that are aggressive by default as well as those who become so once hit or have taken damage)
    • Modify night brightness (possibly based on a fake moon cycle?) so some nights are dark and hard to see clearly, other nights are better lit.
    • Increase hot/cold values. Colder during the night, meaning no shelter or fire can result in death. Hot for the desert/beach to cause you to become hungry and thirsty faster if you’re wearing clothing that’s too thick.
    • Modify bleeding to bleed out longer unless 1-2 bandages are applied.
    • Modify weapon/tool durability to drain faster, even more so when used on the wrong resource.
    • Modify weapon damage against players. Increase damage taken in general. (Will be balanced with resource gathering getting a nerf from a mod that already exists.)
    • Modify wetness to last longer depending on how much armor you’re currently wearing.
    • Have airdrops and have bomb drops. Airdrop has loot, bomb drop can be a supped up or multiple incendiary rockets, for example.
    • Non-Player Factions (I know this is mostly covered by Clans but…) Possible to have 2 default factions/clans that don’t have a founder/mayor etc. Idea behind this is to join either faction for protection when starting out. Friendly Fire will mean people from same clan can’t kill you. However, leaving a major faction in order to create your own will have a cost (through an economy plugin or the like) and it means you lose the protection and either of the 2 major faction members can now attack you.
    • Taking too many rad pills can cause a poison effect. Cooldown of X number of in-game days before they can take more without suffering the poison effect again.

I’ll end the list here for now, I have lots of other ideas but what I’ve mentioned so far is probably a bit confusing so I’ll bring the rest up down the road once I get a better idea of what can and can’t be done. I just see so much potential with this game, the different gameplay styles and difficulty possibilities could be endless.

I apologize to anyone if this was a bit of a ramble and if most of what I mention doesn’t make sense. I’m new to Rust modding and don’t understand what limitations are currently present other than not being able to add items/textures that aren’t already included in the game.

TL;DR: OP wants to make a Hardcore Mode server with a bunch of modifications to make game play a lot more challenging but also a lot more rewarding. He is new to coding/modding and isn’t aware of what limitations exist. Want more info? Contact me and I'd be happy to provide it.

Thanks in advance to those who read this long winded post and for any advice/guidance you can offer.

2. tl;dr An easily configurable plugin that allows new players to choose between "hardcore" or "normal" mode on connect via gui. Hardcore mode will disable permission to build. (probably by adding a constant "building blocked" flag.) The player's default oxide group will be removed and they will be added to the hardcore group.

This plugin is to add another level of difficulty to Rust by preventing players from building. Forcing them to live the life of a drifter with only the items in their inventory to help them along the way.

3. Ehrm, how they will craft something better than bow? I dont think that it is good idea. Maybe block them from build HOUSE? Not all object? But for example, some objects can be placed only on Foundation.
    Also maybe give them opportunity to place small stash?

4. Stashes would be fine but I can use "blueprint manager" to allow them to craft without requiring a workbench

5. sounds like a cool idea