1. Solved - C# copying items, maps and key data | Oxide

The above thread contains a very nice copy item method to copy an item nearly identical, if not identical, to the item being passed. However it only copies the weapon skin icon and not the skin on the weapon itself. Is this a bug, intentional by the game devs, or is there additional code for this?

item.skin is not enough, it only restores it on the icon, not the weapon itself.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2015
  2. Calytic

Calytic Community Admin Community Mod

This is a moral gray area. I doubt anyone here is going to publicly condone the subversion of microtransactions for the sake of Rust and the skin authors.

However, that leaves us with the dilemma given absolutely legitimate uses such as the one you describe. From a technical perspective once the solution is out there, it would be easily adaptable for whatever purpose (including the illegitimate ones). Something like this, if possible at all, will likely always remain the domain of closed-source, private, and likely paid mods.

Without an official sanction from garry (dont bug him about it), it is not ever likely this will be readily available to the masses.

3. You forgot about BaseEntity.skinID that is responsible for weapon skin.
    I was given to understand that such plugins should be private for the time being.

4. I'm sorry for asking, but why should such plugins be private for the time being?

5. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Plugins that give paid content for free are a bit of a gray area... Abuse of it could lead to blacklisting, banning, etc. CS:GO is a good example of this. Giving a specific item for an event is one thing, but allowing players to freely pick what paid skin they want is something else entirely.

6. Is there any official statement on that, either from Facepunch or Valve? Thanks for the input, so far.

7. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Garry has mentioned that they don't care right now, but it's technically piracy and their stance could change at any time and action could be taken. Based on similar instances with other games on Steam, the outcome isn't usually pretty.

8. Do you perhaps have a link proving that Garry indeed said they don't care right now?

9. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Not on hand; it was a while back in Slack when we approached them about it.

10. Alright, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, I do appreciate it!

11. Yes, I only want to restore skins that players own after they leave my event. Thank you for the info

12. Hum, what about allowing players to convert current items into skinned items that they possess on their account (but cant manufacture)?

13. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

I imagine that would be fine, same as with the event skins.