1. I'm trying to setup myself as admin on my server, but when I try to login with rcon it says invalid command. Am I doing something wrong?

2. The experimental servers don't have a rcon.login command anymore, you'll need to mark yourself as owner with the command "ownerid <your steamid>" in the server console or a rcon client.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2014
  3. I do that and it says nothing.

4. It might give invalid command as well since they haven't really fixed it but it should say something. Once the command was used you should reconnect to your server.

5. Ok it says I have auth level 2. Does that mean it worked? If so how to I set others as admins in my server as well?

6. Yep, auth level 2 = owner which gives you access to admin commands, to set other admins use moderatorid <steamid>, they'll get auth level 1 and will be able to use most admin commands

7. Ok awesome, thank you! Also would you be able to tell me how to change the map on my server?

8. modify the server.seed in the commandline, or add it if it isn't there.

9. Do you know where I can find them?

10. What exactly do you mean? Server seeds are just numbers on which the map is randomly generated.

11. So if I just put in random numbers I'll get a map?

12. Yep.

13. I would like to log on as administrator on my server my Experimental rust I do not know how

14. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

15. why doesnt this work for me? I press F1 and type this...

ownerid <76561197982342838>
    or
    ownerid 76561197982342838

nothing works?

16. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

You can't set an owner if you aren't an owner. You need to use a tool such as Rusty or use the server console directly, not the F1 console, to see the first owner.

17. I am the owner.

I've tried this in Rusty too.

I know you're trying to help. I appreciate it. But, no offense but these threads are not very informative.

There is no, this is what you need first, this is what you do, where you type it, etc.

Not everyone is a developer and its frustrating just trying to get statrted. Especially since it's nothing like the old rust.

Once I figure this out, I'll make a thread explaining what to do. Because I see it being asked but I'm not seeing clear instructions on how, where or what to do.

Thx for trying though. I'm just still lost here.

18. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

You need to set an initial user (your steamid) via the commands, and then you can set more users. You use the same command for setting the initial owner as you do for others afterward, but you have be physically in front of the server console or use Rusty and RCON. The only way you can use Rusty though, is if you have the +rcon.password and +rcon.port arguments being passed to your server via the command-line parameters. For users that are hosting locally, there is a thread for this and it's fairly clear, for users hosting remotely with no console access, steps are a bit more complicated and often overlooked.

19. Oh man. Can anyone else please explain to me what Wulf is saying or more importantly what I need to do please?

I simply want clear instructions on what I need to admin my server. Please someone who can break this down in english. I beg you to please help me out here. We all started somewhere and I'm not totally clueless here. But so far nothing Wulf is saying makes any sense to my question.

AGain, I sincerely ask the people of this forum to please help me understand what the hell I need to do here to log in as an admin?

Example:

Open run, press F1, type this exactly how we show it, press enter, boom, you are admin.

Can anyone for the love of RUST please tell me how to do this. What am I just not getting here?

Thank you all in advance.

20. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

I'm sorry you are having a hard time understanding. http://oxidemod.org/threads/admin-and-moderators-in-rust-experimental.6520/