1. Hi, I am fairly new to coding, I only know very simple things. I was wondering if anyone could link me with the exact thing I need to know to start my very own plugin. Links to threads, tutorials, books (Possibly free, but I will buy if I must!)
    Anything will help. Also, put it in the order in which one must learn to reach here. Thank you all!

2. 1. Learn one of the supported languages: C#, JS, Lua, Python
    a) There are many tutorials on the web that you can use.
    2. Download a .NET decompiler; I would suggest JustDecompile http://www.telerik.com/products/decompiler.aspx
    a) This is used to decompile .NET server classes to ease your modding experience.
    3. Become friends with http://docs.oxidemod.org/ and the development sub forums.
    a) If a hook isn't in the doc it probably doesn't exist.
    4. Be resourceful as you will need to learn from other plugins to get your foot in the door.

3. Ah thank you. What exactly is a hook? I have never heard of such term. And what is the best language, what I mean is the most common that the plugin community uses.

4. A hook is an event fired by the server; a hook can also be fired from a plugin to introduce its own functionality.
    For example the hook "OnPlayerChat" is fired each time a player type in the chat; it is called before the message is added to the chat window to allow a plugin developer to change its value or cancel the event.

The most common language would have to be Lua and then C#, you'll find better support for C# though.

5. Ok. I know this is far fetched but this was my goal, and I would like to know if it is possible at ROK, and Oxides current state. I wanna make a sort of leveling system in which a player gets XP from kills, or mining, and he does that faster. Example; you mine iron, and you mine 20k or so you collect 5% more, or 20% more (Won't be my actual %) So does that seem possible at the current state, though I do know it will be a lengthy task.

6. Yup all of that can be done as of right now.

7. All right! Well thanks man! If I have any further questions I will be sure to PM you! Thanks for all the help!

Will I be able to use the languages together

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2015
  8. I have seen threads about calling C# scripts from Lua. Not sure if the other way is possible.

9. One plugin can call any function in another plugin regardless of language used.

10. Do I just call the function as is in my program, or must I make a reference to the program I'm calling the function from? Like an import or using?

11. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

See Oxide API for Rust.

12. we already have level system but game dont have hook for resourcec..or if you find that hook.write that here.its nice if that can add for plugins:)

13. Ok, so an import or from declaration is not required to invoke another plugins functions or variables. Got it.

14. question isnt it possible to take plugins from say some of the developers of many bukkit plugs as long as u ask and the freely give. I have been seeing that yaml is just like json or am I on the bubba side of it.

15. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Bukkit plugins are written in Java, not YAML or JSON. Oxide plugins are also not written in YAML or JSON, and it does not support Java.

16. k So what specifically is ROk writen in? I am not much of a coder as u already see . U know just the yaml and Notepad++ . I take it that yaml and json is the otherside of tweeking what coders make. Im new. Sorry.Old but new to this. Why do screenshots looks so bad? I have a msi 660 ti 2gb card?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2016
  17. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

RoK is written in C# on top of the Unity game engine, but that doesn't necessarily mean that's what plugins are written in. Oxide currently supports plugins in C#, Lua, Python, JavaScript, and Coffee.