1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solved Boats not moving

Discussion in 'The Forest Discussion' started by Jamesfle, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Jamesfle

Jamesfle Naked Wanderer

Im not official obviously, but i have my theories and i hope you would like to check at least. :)

Boats just dont move for some reason on some Dedicated Servers. So far at least Nitrado rents The Forest servers with Oxide "The Forest Server Manager" as how you control it. Now someone on the Steam forums also said the same, that he uses Oxide on a home server. Theres at least 10 people i know of and the common element, Oxide. Is there by any chance some config, some change, some communication to the server its interfering with (like maybe timing between actions), or anything that might cause this issue accidentally?

Bad example, but i run a Minecraft server with lots of plugins, right now its has multiple mods also. If it lags or something is wrong, it can cause issues like warping, rubber banding, things not working, etc. Im wondering if its doing something in that same regards?

2. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin Community Admin Oxide Developer

Oxide itself doesn't change any game mechanics and no communication is changed.

3. Jamesfle

Jamesfle Naked Wanderer

Thanks for fast reply. Just strange its always Oxide that is so far the only common thing they all have. The guy that has a home server, now also said his friend uses Oxide also and same thing. Nothing at all u can think of that it might be if that is the only thing in common?

Wait, they also said they setup the server using GitHub - Quantum/The-Forest-Server-Manager: A server manager for the game “The Forest” designed and coded by Quantum which then downloads Oxide. Could Quantum's program (That could also be used by Nitrado rental servers?) be causing some changes?

Sry if im going to far and u dont want to look into it more. I understand ur busy. :)
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 8, 2017 ---
    It definitely is either oxide or Quantum's program. Ive kept the vanilla version of the Dedicated Server for messing about. As soon as i installed his program + oxide. Boats no longer work, u can push them, but rowing they are stuck.

4. Jamesfle

Jamesfle Naked Wanderer

Ok, today ive re-tried those steps. I deleted all the files of Quantum's program 4 times. Reinstalled the server and ran it 2 times without Oxide and 2 times with Oxide. Both times i ran with Oxide installed via Quantum's program the server broke boats! Without Oxide they moved fine...

Could the way Quantum's program be breaking a proper installation of Oxide?

5. Wulf

Doubt it.

6. Jamesfle

Jamesfle Naked Wanderer

If there is any way u could help, like get in touch with Endnight Gaming on The Forest Discussions forum on steam or via their twitter, etc etc. They are actually aware of the issue, but without your correspondence (being an Oxide Dev) they have no one to converse with that knows your side and their side programming wise, to find a solution. Anything u can do would much be appreciated. If not, i understand, u probably do all this stuff in your spare time. So ty for what correspondance u have provided so far. :)

Laying on the guilt now, but seriously, it would help a lot of people who are hiring servers from Nitrado and even home users that use "The Forest Server Manager" and install Oxide also (because it says to in Step 2). I can lay on the guilt on the forums too, get them to donate to you to find a fix. xD

7. Wulf

I'll take a look when I get a chance. I looked the other day and didn't notice anything, so not sure which odd part of the game is controlling if clients can move boats. The only changes Oxide makes to the game itself is the hooks (not going to cause it) and a few patches to fix oddities, a few game errors, and file locations.

8. Quantum

Quantum Master Researcher

9. Jamesfle

Jamesfle Naked Wanderer

I know that thread and im one of the main ones there asking what they do and dont have lol. Which is why i posted this here and I dont see any in there that say "I dont have Oxide". The only ones even close to saying that, say "Nitrado dedicated, no mods" and "NO MODS ARE BEING USED ON MY SERVER." That doesnt mean they arent using Oxide, they just dont know they are. If they are using The Forest Server Manager, step 2, says install Oxide. So people will do that or just simply click next and dont read. Ive tested multiple times (deleting all files each time) that if u use The Forest Server Manager but dont install Oxide, boats move, if u do, boats dont. Vanilla, boats are fine also. The game server host company, Nitrado use Oxide for some servers that need it. They use it for Rust, Hurtworld, etc basically the ones Oxide supports. Why wouldnt they for The Forest?

Now as i have said, im not a programmer, so i cant advise u or even read what it might be. But as i said, they are even aware of the issue. They know what one of the programs (i presume Oxide) does wrong. But i cannot push this to their Project Lead to work with you you guys. To quote someone in Endnight Games (i dont think he would like me naming who, seeing as i am quoting him), "I think the programmer is pretty sure he could contact them and help out, but we're pretty busy so thats ultimately up to the project lead. The lead Devs are aware of it though." Ive pushed the issue with Endnight Games probably as far as i can, but i will continue if possible.

I also know that what Wulf said was, it doesnt change game mechanics BUT it does change some things. " a few patches to fix oddities, a few game errors, and file locations" and so my feeling is, its one of those he describes that is inadvertently bringing up an old game issue or changing something critical to Boat movement, by accident. Again, i could spout out theories, but without knowing exactly what changes it makes and without the knowledge of programming, im asking you or anyone who can to help the people affected.

Ty for your time and effort. I hope u can find something. :)

Quantum likes this.
  10. Jamesfle

Jamesfle Naked Wanderer

Found anything at all? Im still tryna think of some way to ask their Project Lead to help out the issue. Gotta find a way to him directly somehow probably. xD

11. Jamesfle

Jamesfle Naked Wanderer

As an observation, i just ran a server with Oxide and what i presume is the "Running time" for the server is double counting time. It pauses, then ticks 2 seconds. To further explain, 30 secs indicated game time = 30 secs real time. However, it pauses 15 times and fast skips 2 sec each time, to get to that 30 sec. I wonder if there is a timing issue? Something that affects movement of boats maybe tied into checking the time passed. Like maybe for the speed of the raft? But because of the pausing, it doesnt know the speed its doing. Hence rafts are broken?

12. Wulf

The time is counted properly. The jumps could happen if the server stops ticking for a period.

13. ZcrazyG

ZcrazyG Naked Wanderer

Curious to know if there was anything discovered with this. Still seem to be having the same issue even after the recent updates from The Forest. Is there anything on our end as Users of Both The Forest and Nitrado Game servers that we could help you with? I have an account we could potentially use for Testing if needed to get a resolution here if thats the case.

14. iliadz

iliadz Naked Wanderer

We have the same error on our dedicated server on NItrado. I'm told that "the developers blame oxide, and oxide blames the developers" by a guy who has been playing for several years.. Oxide is installed by default, so we don't really have a choice to run it or not run it. We ran it peer-to-peer for a while and the problem didn't exist. We wanted a server running 24x7, thus the move to a dedicated server.

15. Wulf

I don't recall blaming the developers, just that we don't modify anything that would cause this from what I can tell. :p

16. Wulf

I tweaked the indexes for a few hooks as a couple of them looked off a bit, so give the latest build a try and see if it helps.

17. Steven1230

Steven1230 Naked Wanderer

I am having this same issue along with not being able to burn bodies now unless i use a molotov. I updated oxide thinking maybe it was the cause but sadly its not helping. I tried a default install of the forest and the issue doesn't seem to happen. I really like oxide thou as it lets me change where my save is located and also the plugins.

18. Wulf

Which Oxide version are you currently running? You can find it by using the oxide.version command or looking at your server console.

19. Steven1230

Steven1230 Naked Wanderer

Sorry for the delay. The current version I am using is 2.0.3778

20. Wulf

Are you noticing this on the latest builds still?