1. KillParadise

KillParadise Shack Builder Plugin Developer

With Oxide permissions system now in full swing many plugins are slowly but surely converting from Auth Levels over to this new permissions system.

But, how do you properly use it to the best effect?

Permissions are super simple. Let's start with making a permissions group. If your server does not have a console, you can use any RCON tool to send the commands to the server.
    Code (Text):
    group add GROUPNAME
    Example:
    Code (Text):
    group add newbies
    this would create a permissions group names "newbies" that can now be granted permissions.
    replacing GROUPNAME with a desired name for this group.
    add players to this group with
    Code (Text):
    usergroup add USERNAME GROUPNAME
    replace PLAYERNAME with the desired player, and GROUPNAME with the corresponding group

Example:
    Code (Text):
    usergroup add USERNAME admin
    this would add me to the admin permissions group giving me all their permissions and abilities.

To remove a player from a group:

Code (Text):
    usergroup remove USERNAME admin
    This will remove the user from the admins permissions group and removing all abilities with it.

How do you add a permission to a group? (Or user)
    like so:
    Code (Text):
    grant [user or group] username permission
    Example:
    Code (Text):
    grant user USERNAME canwipe
    this would grant myself on a user level (NOT group) the permission to use the /rt wipe command in RanksAndTitles.
    Groups Example:
    Code (Text):
    grant group newbies canWipe

this is basically the same process only instead of granting a permission to a single user, you grant it to an entire group (in this case the newbies group) so anyone within that group can then use the command /rt wipe

These are your basic go to permission commands for Oxide. Permissions give you a fantastic way to manage staff without worrying about them getting powers from auth level (like flight, super speed, etc.) so they can still enjoy the game but also help monitor your server at the same time. But the possibilities don't stop there!

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2016
    tonyjr919, Togoshige, Amity and 8 others like this.
  2. Truño

Truño Naked Wanderer

Ideally, the creator of the plugin, fix it to make it automatic as before. many plugins many configurations. Make life easier please ty

3. KillParadise

Plugin creators cannot predict what a user wants to do permission wise. As there are almost limitless situations a server owner could want to setup his system. and to guess at an automated setup could make his/her life harder in the end anyway. building a permissions group is by far the easiest situation because once a groups permissions are set, their set and adding a user to a group is simple.

4. LuCKy Strike Games

LuCKy Strike Games Naked Wanderer

Is there a way to see how many groups you may have made and not sure if they are still there?
    I may have made some groups but not sure where to find them.

5. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin Community Admin Oxide Developer

Right now the easiest way is to look in the oxide.groups.json file under oxide/data.

Cpt.Snow likes this.
  6. KillParadise

Go to your data folder, and look for oxide.groups.json
    all your created permission groups can be located here.

7. LuCKy Strike Games

LuCKy Strike Games Naked Wanderer

Awesome :D Thanks
    --- Double Post Merged, May 12, 2015 ---
    One more thing...
    I open the file and I see this. "Rank":NUMBER, What is this? Auth level or something like that?
    "player": {
    "Title": "Player",
    "Rank": 0, <---
    "Perms": []
    },

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  8. KillParadise

Rank is just what it says, a rank level. It's a way to compare and build checks for plugins that want/need to use it. I don't know if it has much use beyond this at the moment, maybe @Wulf can elaborate on that.

9. Wulf

Right now that's about it as far as I know.

10. fingerdu26

fingerdu26 Wood Hoarder

Hi when i try to do:

oxide.grant group player cannpc
    then console return:
    Group 'player' granted permission: cannpc
    and then oxide.group file is not modified what happen i'm wrong? it seem the défault group player is not modable? then Hunt plugin may be won't work with join with pet plugin right permission?
    Regard
    EDIT: Damn moment please... pfffff i'm so sorry to have disturb Admin can erase my post please i'm so stupid i was disable Use permission option far time ago in Pet plugin :/ all is okay the file is writed now

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  11. thomasfn

thomasfn Developer Oxide Developer

The idea of rank was to stop things like admins banning the server owner. The ban command would ideally check if the target player's rank was higher and their own and cancel the command if it is.

KillParadise and Wulf like this.
  12. adamsitobrant

adamsitobrant Naked Wanderer

how do i see what groups have what permissions set to them?

13. Wulf

Right now the only way is to view the files in an editor. There are plans to add more commands.

14. adamsitobrant

i am using filezilla to change all my files and plugins. i used the rusty rcon to add groups and permissions but when i look inside the file its only showing me the default with nothing in the file but what was originally there

15. Wulf

What is the exact command you used? You would see feedback if it was successful or not.

16. adamsitobrant

i was successful it said so in the rcon i used

oxide.grant group moderator canban
    oxide.grant group moderator cankick

17. Wulf

What plugins are you using that provide those permissions?

18. adamsitobrant

Enhanced Ban System
    --- Double Post Merged, May 16, 2015 ---
    so only plugins with the permissions section in the config file will support the oxide permissions?

19. KillParadise

As long as the plugin registers the permissions but seeing as this is a domestos plugin I don't think that's your issue.
    Did you make sure the users are apart of that group as well. Sometimes permission groups reset I've noticed.

20. adamsitobrant

well i dont have anyone in the moderator rank i was going to set it all up so i can just put the users in the ranks i want without having to add the permissions as i go along. but if that is the case it would be helpful to know lol