1. Before we covered how to setup the oxide permission system using commands, this thread will cover helping everyone understand the files themselves.
    @Wulf if you think this should merge into the other topic go ahead, I figured since the other was already packed with info it'd be best to start a new one.

Note: This guide is to help you better understand whats inside the permissions files of your server. I highly recommend using oxides permission commands, for help on these check out this thread: http://oxidemod.org/threads/using-oxides-permission-system.8296/

First where do you find the files?
    You can find both of these files in your oxide/data folder. oxide.groups.json and oxide.users.json are the permission files we want to use.

Let's take a look at the users first

So when you open the users permission file you'll probably see a lot of this:
    Code:
    "SteamID": {
        "LastSeenNickname": "PlayerName",
        "Perms": [],
        "Groups": []
      },

What are we looking at here? Let's break it down:
    • SteamID - This will be a users Steam ID to their account
    • LastSeenNickname - This is our players last display name when he/she was put into the permissions file
    • Perms - This is the permissions this single user has access too only he can use these permissions
    • Groups - The groups this user is a part of will show up here.
    The brackets and curly braces here are very important always make sure you have an opening curly brace { and a closing curly brace } without these you will have errors. If you edit this file manually always make sure you put items in quotes " " and to separate items use commas.
    for example "Perms" would look like this:
    Code:
    "Perms": [
    "candothis",
    "candothat",
    "canblowitup"
    ],

This will give the corresponding player these permissions.
    The Groups option works basically the same way:
    Code:
    "Groups": [
    "player",
    "admin"
    ]

Note however this does not have a trailing comma after the last ] this is because it is the last property of this player, if you put a comma after this bracket however you will have errors.

Now lets take a look at groups
    This is how your default groups permission file will look:
    Code:
    {
      "admin": {
        "Title": "admin",
        "Rank": 0,
        "Perms": []
      },
      "moderator": {
        "Title": "moderator",
        "Rank": 1,
      },
      "player": {
        "Title": "player",
        "Rank": 2,
      }
    }

These are created by default by oxide, you do not need to create them yourself.
    if a plugin adds custom groups they will be added after the "player" group.
    And of course lets break it down:
    • admin/moderator/player - These are the names of our groups these are called by plugins
    • Title - This is the title of our group if called the value for title is what will be displayed
    • Rank - The rank is well, the rank of your group for info on this check out this link: http://oxidemod.org/threads/using-oxides-permission-system.8296/#post-88947
    • Perms - These are the permissions our group will have these are whats granted to any player that is in the said group
    Note that again, this structure looks a lot like our users.json permissions file only with different values/properties.
    The same rule of start - end brackets/braces & commas applies here, json can be touchy so even one missing of any of these will throw errors and cause problems for your server. This is why its recommended you stick to the oxide commands.
    If you edit a permission file manually and save it you will have to do a manual restart of your server but make sure you save your server before restarting.

Are you still getting errors that you just can't seem to pick apart? Run your permissions file through this free online linter to see your json errors: http://jsonlint.com/

I'll probably edit more onto the thread as I think of it, or if I remember certain things or as questions start to appear. Post questions below and I will do my best to help you out.

2. What program do you suggest we use to view the data file?

3. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

They are not meant to be viewed or edited manually, the console commands are what should be used.

4. Can you create a oxide.groups.json and oxide.users.json if you don't have one?

I do have the oxide.groups.data and oxide.users.data installed in the directory.

5. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

There are no .json files anymore for the permissions.

6. So how would I go about creating a permissions or downloading a plugin that would enable me to create groups in a better way than through console commands?

7. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Currently only console commands control the permissions, which can be done via RCON, F1 console, or server console.

8. Thank you so much for the help it makes more sense now but I have one more noob question, how would I put the new spawns in a group automatically without me having to type every persons name in the chat?

Sorry if it is a simple question I am a new owner trying to understand how this all works. I have read several websites and forums on how to run my server and permissions are my only problem.

9. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

They are automatically added to the 'player' group with Oxide for Rust. You can grant any permissions to that group that you'd like all new players to start with.

10. I have it figured out now thank you for your time and help.

Cheers

11. Hy and sorry for my english. I'he a problem with permission plugin. I admin in Rust and i can set a plugin and operate in consolle. Some plugins I do not have permission for utilise. Can help me for set a permission? I've read a guide but i don't understand. Thanks for all

12. Search on the top Plugin Button for the plugin with its name and youll find it in the plugins description.

Then type
    (ingame)
    oxide.grant user yourname permissionname
    or
    (for admingroup)
    oxide.grant group admin permissionname

Or if you dont know to use this search or you cant find it, tell us the name of the plugins.

13. Ok thanks but a permission is standard? I find a permission in description plugin? Sorry but i aren't expert.

14. for some plugins you need to get permissions after installing them..

what permissions do you need? how is the plugin named?

15. I use a kit plugin, sign artist etc... when i digit a comand, appear this message: you don't have a permission for use this. I set a permission for admin and for player. Thanks for a rapid ask

16. sign artist

for Player YourName
    oxide.grant user YourName sil_url

for admingroup
    oxide.grant group admin sil_url

for Players
    oxide.grant group Player sil_url

For more permission use the search Search Resources | Oxide and type in sign artist...youll find it.

Good luck.

17. Thaks for all. You are great
    [DOUBLEPOST=1454694066,1454681702][/DOUBLEPOST]Sorry but i don't find a reserch button for permission. I do find?

18. What program is suggested for editing .data?
    [​IMG]
    Don't want to download some random spyware program, and notpad seems to not be an option?
    Thanks in advance

19. You need to edit it from ingame commands only

20. i thought that was gonna be the answer lol, thanks for the reply (y)