1. Thanks for the clarification.

Found Mughisi's post that really opened my eyes :)
    http://oxidemod.org/threads/setting-up-your-own-rust-server-with-oxide.5467/
    posting here in case another developer has the same getting started questions.

One more note regarding Mughisi's post. To connect to your local experimental Rust server you should use client.connect instead of net.connect.

2. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Please keep discussion to thread's topic and issues regarding it, and please refrain from discussing pirated servers or software as those will be deleted. We do not tolerate nor support piracy here. Thank you.

3. Probably me doing something wrong but..
    I am getting the same problem the other chaps mentioned.
    • made all the changes mentioned in the instructions
    • Ensured I had Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 x64 installed
    • Built the project - No errors logged (Using VS Prof 2013)
    Code:
    1>------ Build started: Project: Oxide.Core, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
    1>C:\Users\Dave\Documents\GitHub\Oxide-2\Oxide-2-master\Oxide-2-master\Oxide.Core\Logging\RotatingFileLogger.cs(13,24,13,34): warning CS0108: 'Oxide.Core.Logging.RotatingFileLogger.LogMessage' hides inherited member 'Oxide.Core.Logging.Logger.LogMessage'. Use the new keyword if hiding was intended.
    1>C:\Users\Dave\Documents\GitHub\Oxide-2\Oxide-2-master\Oxide-2-master\Oxide.Core\Logging\RotatingFileLogger.cs(15,28,15,32): warning CS0649: Field 'Oxide.Core.Logging.RotatingFileLogger.LogMessage.Type' is never assigned to, and will always have its default value 0
    1>C:\Users\Dave\Documents\GitHub\Oxide-2\Oxide-2-master\Oxide-2-master\Oxide.Core\Logging\RotatingFileLogger.cs(16,27,16,34): warning CS0649: Field 'Oxide.Core.Logging.RotatingFileLogger.LogMessage.Message' is never assigned to, and will always have its default value null
    1>  Oxide.Core -> C:\Users\Dave\Documents\GitHub\Oxide-2\Oxide-2-master\Oxide-2-master\Oxide.Core\bin\Debug\Oxide.Core.dll
    1>          1 file(s) copied.
    2>------ Build started: Project: Oxide.Ext.Lua, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
    3>------ Build started: Project: Oxide.Ext.Rust, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
    4>------ Build started: Project: Oxide.Ext.Unity, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
    2>  Oxide.Ext.Lua -> C:\Users\Dave\Documents\GitHub\Oxide-2\Oxide-2-master\Oxide-2-master\Oxide.Ext.Lua\bin\Debug\Oxide.Ext.Lua.dll
    2>          1 file(s) copied.
    5>------ Build started: Project: Oxide.Tests, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
    5>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(1697,5): warning MSB3270: There was a mismatch between the processor architecture of the project being built "MSIL" and the processor architecture of the reference "C:\Users\Dave\Documents\GitHub\Oxide-2\Oxide-2-master\Oxide-2-master\Oxide.Core\bin\Debug\Oxide.Core.dll", "x86". This mismatch may cause runtime failures. Please consider changing the targeted processor architecture of your project through the Configuration Manager so as to align the processor architectures between your project and references, or take a dependency on references with a processor architecture that matches the targeted processor architecture of your project.
    5>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(1697,5): warning MSB3270: There was a mismatch between the processor architecture of the project being built "MSIL" and the processor architecture of the reference "C:\Users\Dave\Documents\GitHub\Oxide-2\Oxide-2-master\Oxide-2-master\Oxide.Ext.Lua\bin\Debug\Oxide.Ext.Lua.dll", "x86". This mismatch may cause runtime failures. Please consider changing the targeted processor architecture of your project through the Configuration Manager so as to align the processor architectures between your project and references, or take a dependency on references with a processor architecture that matches the targeted processor architecture of your project.
    5>C:\Users\Dave\Documents\GitHub\Oxide-2\Oxide-2-master\Oxide-2-master\Oxide.Tests\LuaTests.cs(11,16,11,17): warning CS0649: Field 'TestStruct.x' is never assigned to, and will always have its default value 0
    5>  Oxide.Tests -> C:\Users\Dave\Documents\GitHub\Oxide-2\Oxide-2-master\Oxide-2-master\Oxide.Tests\bin\Debug\Oxide.Tests.dll
    3>  Oxide.Ext.Rust -> C:\Users\Dave\Documents\GitHub\Oxide-2\Oxide-2-master\Oxide-2-master\Oxide.Ext.Rust\bin\Debug\Oxide.Ext.Rust.dll
    3>          1 file(s) copied.
    4>  Oxide.Ext.Unity -> C:\Users\Dave\Documents\GitHub\Oxide-2\Oxide-2-master\Oxide-2-master\Oxide.Ext.Unity\bin\Debug\Oxide.Ext.Unity.dll
    4>          1 file(s) copied.
    ========== Build: 5 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
    • Copied across all the files mentioned in the instructions
    • Launched the server. At his point the executable is evident in task manager but the console does not progress past the line from the batch file.
    • Oxide log shows
    Code:
    6:26 PM [Info] Loading Oxide core...
    6:26 PM [Info] Loading extensions...
    6:26 PM [Error] Failed to load extension Oxide.Ext.Lua (DllNotFoundException: lua52)
    6:26 PM [Debug]   at (wrapper managed-to-native) KeraLua.NativeMethods:LuaLNewState ()
      at KeraLua.Lua.LuaLNewState () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
      at NLua.LuaLib.LuaLNewState () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
      at NLua.Lua..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
      at Oxide.Lua.LuaExtension.InitialiseLua () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
      at Oxide.Lua.LuaExtension.Load () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
      at Oxide.Core.Extensions.ExtensionManager.LoadExtension (System.String filename) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    6:26 PM [Info] Loaded extension Rust version 1.0.0 by thomasfn
    6:26 PM [Info] Loaded extension Unity version 1.0.0 by Oxide Team
    Just to confirm that the server was running fine prior to attempting this. Perhaps I am missing something but strange same error as others on here have logged.

Any pointers appreciated.

Cheers
    Dave

4. How are you launching the server? Is it a bat file in the same directory as the exe?

5. Certainly is. Screenshot attached showing dir structure and batch file content. Batch file tested and was working ok prior to me doing this :)

upload_2014-10-10_19-10-14.png

6. About what piracy you talking? Server files of rust are now public, everyone can download and run server. Hate hostings.

So, what is solution of problem with Lua extension?

7. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

That was regarding the discussions that were deleted. Cracked servers still exist as well. Either way, please keep to the topic.

8. The lua52.dll file in the repository is x86 which is incompatible with the new Rust Dedicated servers because those are x64, attached to this post is a x64 lua52.dll, just download it and extract the file to your main folder replacing the lua52.dll file you copied before and launch your server :)

upload_2014-10-10_21-6-24.png

Edit
    I have removed the lua52.dll from this post as a working version is now available on the repository.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2014
  9. You awesome. Started great on my own PC's. But in dedicated server(windows server 2012 r2) still get error. Try to reinstall package and run.
    More thx to you:)

10. Thanks for the input mate but afraid I still have the same problem. Same error as previously mentioned. Stab in the dark I also added the folder the executable and dll reside to the windows path statement. Also made no difference

Cheers
    Dave

11. Seems like we have a fun problem here :p

Few things I can think of atm:
    Do you have the Visual C++ Redistributable 2012 x64 installed? (Linked by Wulf in one of the previous posts if I recall correctly)
    Which OS are you using?
    Are you launching the server from a .bat file? Is that .bat file in the same folder as the server executable?

12. lol :)

Seeing it working for you is promising, must be something silly I am doing.

Downloaded the following;
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=30679

Its running on a Windows 7 x64 virtual instance. I did have experimental rust running on it fine first of all.

batch file is located in the same folder as the rustdedicated.exe

just thinking out load, should I not be using the Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 x64 as I am using Visual Studio 2013 ? - http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=40784

===edit===
    put the wrong version number down for my version of VS :p is should have said 2013 not 2012..corrected. Question is still valid :p

13. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

You should be using the 2012 Visual C++, not 2013. It doesn't matter which version of Visual Studio you use, as that's not really related.

14. Cool thanks, thats not the problem then :(

15. Pushed a new lua52.dll, this is the one that definitely works on my Oxide test setup.

16. So problem solved? Wrong version of Visual C++ ? Do you ininstall prev version and install 2012 ?

17. OK, got there in the end :)

downloaded the git repo again.

scenario which does not work;
    • Two computers, one performing compile, one hosting rust dedicated server
    • Compile machine has a mapped drive to the release folder on the rust dedicated server
    • mapped drive is referenced in post processing command. (drive letter and not unc)

scenario which does work;
    • perform compile on computer that hosts rust dedicated server. What I did in the end was copy the release folder to my computer running the compile using the same drive letter and folder path as the rust dedicated server. Then porformed the compile and copied the relevant files to the local folder.
    • tested and server loaded successfully on compile computer
    • copied the release folder back to the rust dedicated server
    • tested and server loaded successfully on rust dedicated server
    so it would seem that the compile needs to be performed on the same machine as you are planning on running the server or copy things around like I did above :)

Thanks for all you help and patience everyone. Now the fun begins :)

Thomasfn, just a big thank for oxide, breathed much needed additional life into legacy rust. Be great if oxide-2 does the same :D

18. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

The same Visual C++ would need to be on both computers. It's required for the Lua DLL.

19. I tried to get Gamerservers.com to install this and they said they would if they didn't have to compile it :(.

20. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

I would not recommend hosts install this right now due to the alpha nature of it. It's for plugin developers. When a stable, more complete release is ready as well as plugins, that's when I'd recommend hosts install it.