1. I'm pretty new to Rust. When I first downloaded it and started playing, the first thing I wanted to do was to create my own local server for me and some friends. I quickly noticed that there is A LOT of documentation out there, most of it pertains only to legacy (which I didn't know the difference between Legacy, Experimental or Oxide at the time) and the info for experimental seems to be lacking greatly. Browsing all of the servers in the server menu revealed that there were many options and commands I didn't know.

I'm wondering if there is a need in the community for a gui launcher, installer or configuration tool for Rust. I'm thinking something along the lines of an installer that grabs and installs all pre-requisites, runs the actual Rust server as a service or something and a configuration tool to manage settings, easily manage 3rd party mods, etc. This of course would all be open source and released on github. I'm fairly familiar with c#.net, just not familiar with all of the Rust details. I'm mainly wanting this to use myself, but in exchange for setup/config knowledge from the community I will give my project.

Thoughts?

2. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

It would be a full-time job to keep up with it if you wanted it to delw wirh Oxide plugins configs. We're actually planning a web panel for server owners to configure their servers and plugins, so I'm not sure how much your tool would be used by the Oxide community.

3. Have there been any attempts at running this with WINE on a linux machine? I was thinking a web interface would be better myself, but Rust is (from what I read) only developing the server for windows at the moment. Not to start a preference war or anything like that, but I've always been more partial towards linux for running servers of all types, plus there are a lot more hosting providers out there with *nix VM's and they're usually cheaper.

4. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

There are a handful of users who run it all on Wine for Linux.