1. Ok so I recently set up my brand new rust server. I have been all over google for the past 5 or 6 days trying to get my server to display publicly. I have changed the name of the server several different times now. I also am having issues with the description. No matter how many times I change it or how long or short I make it the description will not show and the screen shows my name as Amsterdam 2 which I am assuming is the default. I have been independently troubleshooting both of these issues and nothing has worked so I am honestly thinking that both of them are related.

I have tried changing the name and description through the server command line and by editing the .bat file. I have tried changing both the name and description that way and nothing. I dont think its an internet problem because my friends have been able to connect to it using the client.connect command in the console. The server also doesn't show up in the server history which I think is related to it not showing up publicly as well.

Does anyone know anything else I can try out? I tried posting this problem in a steam discussion a few days ago and noone has commented on it.

2. post what you have in your bat file hide your rcon password before posting please

3. RustDedicated.exe -batchmode +server.port 28015 +server.level "Procedural Map" +server.seed 1234 +server.worldsize 4000 +server.maxplayers 20 +server.hostname "Sovs" +server.description "Holster weapons in neutral zones." +server.url "https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/welcome.html/" +server.identity "House of Pain" +rcon.port 28016 +rcon.password _______ +rcon.web 1

4. will do a few fixes and post them
    Is this running on your own pc?

5. on an interesting note the commands ive typed in like to change the description for example have not edited the bat file

6. The server url you are using is wrong if you have a website I will need the link if you dont have one I will remove it also I need a header image you want to use

7. I do not currently have a website or a header image I wanted to use. Eventually I will have the link go to a google doc form where people can report problems but I have not yet set that up. Do you want the specs of the server? Its on my own server I am not paying anyone for hosting.

8. ok I set this site as the url and my header I use you can change the header to what you want later but will leave the info there so you can see hows its done also rcon password set to 1234 change this using notepad++ to open the bat file also you will only see these things if you connect from the modded tab in rust so dont connect with your local host so make sure your ports are open and you let it though your firewall

9. Alright. Thanks for the help I will load it up on the server and see how it works out and let you know the results.

10. UDP:28015 // Gameserver
    This is the only port you will need to open as its running on your own network you dont need to forward 28016 for rcon

11. So I went in and searched for it and it does not show up on the list. I and my friend are able to both connect to it using client.connect 8.41.23.7:28015. I went into my firewall and opened 28015 and 28016 for both UDP and TCP and considering my friend is in another state and able to connect i dont think its an issue connecting to the internet itself. Upon connecting to it the name and the server description have not changed at all.

12. You dont need to open 28016 as its running on your network its not needed. If your friend can connect ok then it can take a while for it to show up in the modded list so keep it running for a few hours and just play

13. Ok I will let you know good or bad what happens in a few hours. If you end up on my server at any point let me know if you see me on so I can spawn you some loot for helping me.

14. I dont play the game any more but thx for the offer

15. Ok so it worked and right now my server is listed in community. Will changing the name and description effect it in any negative way?

16. You'll need to restart your server and/or write
    Code:
    server.writecfg

17. that command has nothing to do with what he has in his bat file its only for ownerid and moderatorid commands

18. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Any settings like that should be added to your startup .bat/.sh script or server/identity/cfg/server.cfg file.

19. i have no idea why I told him to write server write.cfg haha.. I should get back to sleep instead, im sick as a dog. Sorry!

20. Sweet. Thanks for the help everyone. Its nice that people will be able to find my server now. I should also thank you Wulf for some of your answers on other peoples topics that I have read have actually helped me get my server set up and running.