1. So, today I decided to embark on the simple task of creating a Rust server for the thousandth time. So I installed it on my dedicated box hosted by OVH through SteamCMD, installed Oxide, and the plugins and their configs as I pleased. Only to find out I could not connect. Here is the error I was getting: Disconnected (connection attempt failed) - returning to main menu. So I thought maybe it's my game. Restart; same issue. I then decide to have a few friends connect. Same, nada. My dedicated box has no firewall, and I am using the correct IP and 28015 port to connect. Yet to no avail, I cannot connect to my server. I have not had this issue in the past with any Rust servers I have made running the Oxide API and am in desperate search for suggestions and solutions. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks :).

2. windows firewall, check there to allow the tcp AND udp on the ports you use for the server and rcon (28015 and 28016 is default).
    And most specificly for the rustdedicated.exe

Then check so these ports is allowed in the OVH firewall if you got a gameserver with activated firewall on the ovh side of things.
    Can be found in the OVH controllpanel.

And if you are using windows. you DO have a firewall ;).
    However it should still work.

This is 99.999% not the rust process/oxide.
    it is either that you did something by misstake in the startup file of the server (missmatching ports for example).
    Or the windows firewall or OVH firewall blocks it.
    Something is either blocking the ports/ip OR you setup the server wrong.

Good luck and hope this does any help.
    But my first guess would be the OVH firewall, and my second guess would be a bad config :).

3. Thanks so much! It was an issue with OVH. They had all of their ports blocked and wouldn't let us host anything but ARK.

4. iv push 20 gigabits out of OVH.. got some experiance there so i thought that might be it :p.
    Totaly forgot that the gameservers is pretty much "blocked unless opened manually" for there firewall.
    I dont have gameservers with ovh, im to demanding on the ping stability and such :p.

5. Just a heads up, If you're with OVH make sure you have permanent mitigation enabled instead of Automatic and the correct Firewall settings to effectively use their DDOS protection. I will send you a screenshot of mine tomorrow.

6. Could I also get that screenshot please Nathan

7. It's been some time since i've hosted, you can try enabling permanent mitigation and see how that works.

Also create Firewall with these settings

Code:
    Priority    Action            Protocol    IP source    Options
    0                Authorise      TCP            all
    1                Authorise      TCP            all                Fragments
    2                Authorise      ICMP          all
    3                Authorise      GRE            all
    4                Authorise      TCP            all                Fragments / syn
    5                Authorise      UDP            all
    6                Refuse            TCP            all                Fragments / established

8. Thanks Nathan!