Universal Select console output to Slack

Discussion in 'Plugin Requests' started by Kinesis, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Hey all!

We use Slack to monitor certain actions on multiple servers, especially the amazing SlackChat | Oxide which is fantastic for passing through filtered messages from Chat

What would be amazing is this plugin, but instead of filtering on Chat, it would filter on Console output. So for example if a line of console contained the phrase 'updates' it would get fed through to Slack using Slack | Oxide. This is just an example, but it could be amazingly flexible and come in super handy.

This would make this plugin universal, and all things in Chat and Console would then be covered and exportable to Slack :)

It would also be great to have the following capabilities:
    • It would be great to be able to strip certain text out from what is being sent through such as the plugin tags like [Better Chat], so that what is reported is just refined text from Console.
    • Optionally enabled in the Config, If the plugin name could be reported in the place of the player name like in the picture - Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet. So Server name at the bottom (always), and the plugin name (optional), which could otherwise default to just saying Console.
    • The ability to select which Slack Channel to post to.
    I think this would be a fantastically flexible plugin, and come in super handy when monitoring the console of multiple servers!

2. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Console output can come from numerous sources, many of which are not something you can intercept, so it's unlikely you'd be able to.

3. So in a manner similar to FilterExt for Rust | Oxide, would it not be possible? :) EDIT: Just realized you made that plugin, so you're more than likely right!

I understand if not everything can be intercepted, but for those that can be I think it would be handy! Essentially this would only need to concern Oxide plugin output.

4. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

FilterExt adds to a filter in Oxide, it isn't actually intercepting anything. You MIGHT be able to intercept some messages via the Unity log event, but that doesn't guarantee it'd cover all, if you can even access that via a plugin.

5. I see! If this plugin would just intercept Oxide output then, would that work?

6. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Check my edited post above firstly, but I don't think there's any way in Oxide itself to intercept console messages.

7. Arghh that's such a shame :( Is it something that could potentially be added in the future? I'm sure there might be other uses down the track. I understand if that's a security issue though!

8. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

I'm not sure we'd want plugins being able to break the console. ;)

9. Haha yep that's fair enough, ok well I guess this answers it a little bit. If it's possible, but it will be limited in functionality. Just incase I might have a stab to see if I can get it to work, is there any documentation anywhere about accessing that Unity console?

10. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

The console isn't provided by Unity.

11. Sorry that was poor phrasing on my part, just what you were referring to here :)

12. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin