Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin Community Admin Oxide Developer

It seems like a lifetime ago when Oxide 1 was first released for Rust Legacy, which at the time was the only version of Rust. Since then, Oxide has advanced far beyond what we had originally imagined. With support for games such as 7 Days to Die, Reign of Kings, Space Engineers, Medieval Engineers, and many others on the way, it's quickly becoming the standard for plugin-based modding in .NET and Unity games. While there are a lot of changes we still want to make and many things to improve, we're hoping to continue bringing support to new games as we get access to them.

Now back to the main reason for this announcement... I'm pleased to announce that with the help of @Hatemail and @Mughisi, we've brought Rust Legacy into the Oxide 2 family! It hasn't been extensively tested, so there may still be a few bugs that haven't been found yet. If you have any issues, please let us know! Keep in mind that Oxide 1.18 plugins will still be available, but they'll only work on Oxide 1.18 servers. While we'd love for all of them to work, the changes between Oxide 1 and Oxide 2 are too vast. A lot of the plugins will be likely updated to support Oxide 2, and you'll likely see a few new ones as well! It doesn't take much to update them, as it's mostly renames and a few function changes.

So, what's new?
    • Modular extension system - functionality is added to the core via extensions written in C#. Extensions add functionality such as libraries that script languages can use, or even the scripting languages themselves.
    • New plugin languages - plugins can now be written in C#/CSharp, Lua, JavaScript, or Python! While C# will be the fastest as it's essentially native code, you're free to write in your language of choice!
    • Plugin hot-reloading - in addition to the oxide.reload/unload/load commands, plugins are automatically loaded/unloaded when added/removed from the plugins directory, and are reloaded when a change has been made.
    • Improved core - no Lua scripts come with Oxide 2 at all, everything is implemented in C#. Cleaner and faster. Extensions can add libraries which can be loaded by any scripting language.
    • New patcher - the patcher is now open-source, and comes with a GUI so it will be easy to add new hooks and edit existing ones. The IL injector is more advanced so it's possible to create more complex and useful hooks. The patcher works on any .NET game, so it's possible to patch Oxide into other Unity games too!
    How do I install it?
    Just download, extract, and go! The steps are pretty much the same, but a clean install is recommended.

Where do I get plugins for it?

Well, right now there are a few plugins available for it, but there will be more soon! Just give it a little time.

Is there a place to request plugins?
    Of course! Post your request under the existing Legacy Requests section, but please search before posting!

Are the hooks and API documented?
    Not yet, but they will be soon! For right now, refer to the patcher file to see the available hooks. There are a few Rust functions available too.

What will happen to Oxide 1.18?
    It has essentially been discontinued for months, so we'll just make that official now! We encourage upgrading to Oxide 2 as soon as you're able.

Plugin developers: If you'd like to update your existing Oxide 1.18 plugins, feel free to do so and then notify me and I'll move it to the appropriate section. An example update message is provided below.
    That's all for now! Enjoy, and thanks for supporting us!

2. Hatemail

Hatemail Shotgun Ace Plugin Developer

Thanks everyone we do this for you!

German Hoeffner and Wulf like this.
  3. Wulf

4. Epixx

Epixx Wood Hoarder

Look forward to this! Cant wait til it gets a huge backing, It certainly deserves it

5. andrei_123

andrei_123 Scavenger

Thank you guys for keeping legacy alive :)

6. Spicy

Spicy Shack Builder Plugin Developer

Does this mean that all of the coders for Rust Experimental can now code for Rust Legacy too? :)

Epixx likes this.
  7. Epixx

Epixx Wood Hoarder

RENEBBBB. ;) more anticheat plox

8. andrei_123

andrei_123 Scavenger

Yes we need deathhandler and anticheats and a lot of other stuff :D , too bad i don't know to code in c#

9. prodigyaustralia

prodigyaustralia Wood Hoarder

haha this will mean no servers in community running oxide 2.0 as theres no lua core

10. Wulf

Actually, that's not quite true. :p

You can still modify the tags, it's just not as easy as before, and also unsupported. You run the risk of getting blacklisted by Facepunch as well.

11. prodigyaustralia

prodigyaustralia Wood Hoarder

Yeah I know, That's how I used to run magma in community, I just don't like mentioning it as its not supported.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 7, 2015 ---
    Off topic but just noticed the magma website has shut down, haha

12. Devora

Devora Naked Wanderer

Will the existing players data be wipe in the current server if i were to update it?

13. Wulf

No, Oxide doesn't touch player data/world saves. It's always good to backup beforehand though. :)

14. Ferum

Ferum Naked Wanderer

whether the new plugins from the oxide oxide 1.18?

15. Wulf

All plugins can be found from the links provided at http://oxidemod.org/plugins/.

16. Ferum

Ferum Naked Wanderer

I understand what you mean, but I once again ask plugins oxide v1.18 suited to the oxide 2.0.705?

17. Wulf

Oxide 1.18 plugins will not work with 2.0, they'll need to be updated for it.

18. Ferum

Ferum Naked Wanderer

thanks for the reply, but on what you can write for the new oxide? espouse with C# Javascript and Lua?

19. Wulf

C#, Lua, JavaScript, and Python are supported.

20. mvrb

mvrb Shack Builder Plugin Developer

Is it not possible to install Oxide mod if I'm using GameServers? I downloaded the archive file, but I'm not sure where to extract it.

This is how my server directory in my FTP client looks: http://i.imgur.com/jdV3XEA.png

Where would I extract the archie (containing these files: http://i.imgur.com/uCL8ttH.png ) to manually install Oxide 2.0?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Just in case anyone else has the same problem as me: I opened a ticket as Wulf suggested and they are currently installing Oxide 2.0 on my server.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.