1. Oxide for Rust Legacy has been discontinued and is no longer supported. No updates or additions will be made, and Rust Legacy-specific plugin submissions will no longer be accepted. We recommend upgrading to the latest version of Rust as able.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. gamingoodz

gamingoodz Naked Wanderer

Ok I have only have my server going for a day now and as we all know steam just released a mandatory update.

I have Oxide and a few plugins installed and everything was working great before this.

So to update once my Server Host gets the updated Oxide files I should do a Steam update from the server control panel then reinstall Oxide to get the new version and everything should be fine?

Will doing this remove the plugins I have? If so can't I just zip them up on the server and when I reinstall the new version of Oxide just unzip the plugins backup?

I guess I should backup my player data also.

Sorry for question just want to make sure I don't mess anything up.

Thanks,

Tambourine likes this.
  2. GNSC4

GNSC4 Shack Builder Server Owner

the plugins will be broken but they will still be installed you will have to update Oxide, and every plugin

3. DG2

DG2 Wood Hoarder

when will Oxide be updated to latest one?.

4. MadMark

MadMark Naked Wanderer

Graciously copied from my (and best for me) provider (Nitrous-Networks !) FAQ:

How to update your Oxide Mod
    After Oxide releases a new update, please allow up to 1 hour for us to add it to the control panel. We will usually tweet once we have done this.

1. Stop your server.
    2. You will first need to uninstall the currently Oxide mod by going to the Gamemods Manager.
    3. run the Steam updated (Wait until it says Verification Completed)
    4. Then you need to install it again and start the server.

Plugins are located in the "/save/oxide/plugins" folder.

I back up my configs and .lua's every change.

FYI: Nitrous-networks allows us to ftp, and have full control over our files. I have been happy.

"Old Bones" Bloodlust likes this.
  5. DG2

DG2 Wood Hoarder

Oxide 1.9 is not the latest one now is it? after this morning's Rust game patch?.

6. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin Community Admin Oxide Developer

Plugins do not break with every update, only when there are major API changes made to Oxide core.

See the announcements area.

7. GNSC4

GNSC4 Shack Builder Server Owner

My bad sorry about that

8. gamingoodz

Well updating the way you said did NOT keep my mod files.. And the kicker is I backed them up but I left a zip of them in there respective folders but updating deleted even those.. SO now I have to reinstall and configure all my mods.. Just so anyone knows Download your backups to your on PC or you will be screwed like me..

9. Wulf

Every GSP likely has their own way on how they handle updates, but generally the Oxide plugins folder will not go anywhere between updates, nor will the map, unless your GSP tries to give you a fresh start each time or something odd. It's always a good habit to make backups though before any updates happen.

10. MadMark

MadMark Naked Wanderer

Your GSP must purge the save directory on their uninstall process. Nitrous-Networks does not. However, I do just like you said every update, zip configs and save.

11. gamingoodz

Yah I did make backups but I left them as a zip in the plugins folder not thinking it would delete the entire folder.. O well leason learned and now Im in a bad mood because I didnt have time to gredo all the mods like this.. My host is FPSplayers btw

12. Chronz

Chronz Scavenger

Should I be updating the server every single update? Or should I only be doing it on mandatory updates?

13. Wulf

Yes, especially when the Rust protocol changes. This thread is actually for Rust Legacy though, so it will never change, only the new Rust. Both versions still get Oxide updates though, which you should still update to as able.

Chronz likes this.
  14. MrDirtyLobster

MrDirtyLobster Naked Wanderer

Hi, i don't know if this is relevant for this thread but here goes!
    To begin with I am new to host my own server in Rust.
    So today (2016-04-13) at 10:05 PM there was a new update for Oxide. I have already updated the game in steam. And I also spent the whole day with plugins and so on. Now I am wondering what procedure I need to take to be able to update my server, and will this make all plugins useless?
    Should I simply download the newer version of oxide and replace it in my FTP server (I use Filezilla) or is there something with my server I need to fix first (I use Nitrado). I hope someone will reply, thanks!
    /Lobster

15. Wulf

Download and extract Oxide > shutdown the server > update your Rust server using your host's control panel > install the latest version of Oxide via FTP > start the server > done. Plugins will not be affected unless there are changes to Oxide or Rust, which there weren't many so most will be fine.

16. MrDirtyLobster

MrDirtyLobster Naked Wanderer

Thank you so much Wulf! Worked like a charm, you da real MVP!

17. PiGeoN 2

PiGeoN 2 Naked Wanderer

Hi all this may seem like a really noobish question....but how to update the indvidual plugins you have installed....do i just delete this from the plugin folder? or do i have to remove it from plugin,cfg, and data folder so that there is virtually no files left of that plugin?

18. Wulf

Just download the update and put it under oxide/plugins, done. No need to delete or remove anything unless a plugin author mentions that. Not every plugin has a datafile or config, but if it does and it isn't being created, then it is likely not loaded or in the wrong location. Best to check your oxide/logs for errors just in case.

19. PiGeoN 2

PiGeoN 2 Naked Wanderer

im having troubles with the nteleportation plugin, betterchat, and lustymap....i have downloaded and installed to both your instructions and developers instructions....is there any hope i can hire someone to come check out my panel and get this all working for me?

wolf i would be willing to pay you some cash to come take a look for me bro...? :(

20. Wulf

Wouldn't you rather learn how to fix the issues so you wouldn't need to rely on someone else? ;)

The first step I'd take would be to upload your latest oxide/logs for me or others to review, and we can point you in the right direction.