Oxide and Ad-Blockers

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Windamyre, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Windamyre

Windamyre Wood Hoarder

Okay, I admit it - I use Adblocker Plus, and I don't think I'm the only one. I know sites generate income from ads, and so on sites that I support, and who's ads are not abusive, I turn off the blocker.

Uusally, it's as easy as clicking "Disable on oxidemod.org", and the little stop sign greys out. I see an ad that might be interesting, and OxideMod gets a (fraction of) of a penny. Everyone's happy.

But lately, it doesn't seem to work. The stop sign is grey, the "Disable on oxidemod.org" option is checked, but instead of ads, I see "Oh no! Ad-blocking software has been detected! :'(
    This project is run by the community, for the community... and it needs advertisements to keep running."

Anyone got any feedback on why this is happening? I've done a few Google searches on the issue, but haven't found anything?

2. Shady757

Shady757 Plugin Developer

Do you have a modified host file that may be blocking common advertising domains/IPs?

3. Windamyre

Windamyre Wood Hoarder

Nope. Hosts file is basically blank (just comments) and FoxyProxy shouldn't affect it AFAIK. Gonna poke around a bit more, as I sometimes see it on other sites I've unblocked.
    In the mean time I've set up a (small) donation to make up for the lost revenue. (Hint to other frequent users.)

Update: Turns out it was FoxyProxy after all. Go figure. Only 'figured' it out when Firefox disabled the plug-in. Gonna keep the donation going anyway. ;-)

Update of update: Turns out the plug-in needed update. Everything is back, though I don't know what caused the grief in the first place.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    Shady757 likes this.