1. First things first. I am running the server on a dedicated machine (Windows Server 2012 R2) hosted by OVH, and I am able to join on my local machine.. However, I am the ONLY person that can connect to the server.

Here is a bit of INFO;

I am the ONLY one able to join.

I have tried with and without oxide installed.

I have ensured that the latest server files/oxide files are being used. The server works fine when I connect.

I have 28015, 28016 & 5678 (Used to use this port for rcon, opened for the sake of it) opened for inbound UDP and TCP through windows firewall with advanced security.

My startup Batch is;
    //START (This is not actually in the batch)
    :START
    RustDedicated -batchmode +server.ip 0.0.0.0 +rcon.ip 0.0.0.0 +server.port 28015 +rcon.port 28016 +server.hostname "REMOVED" +server.maxplayers 200 +server.identity "REMOVED" +server.seed 600512 +rcon.password "REMOVED" +server.globalchat True +server.worldsize 4000 +server.description "REMOVED" +server.headerimage "REMOVED" +server.salt 598141
    GOTO START
    //END (This is not actually in the batch)

Any ideas? I'm seeing people with the same problem but they just say it started working like magic randomly.
    Well it's been 2 days of debugging and I'm still here.

Anything would be great.

EDIT.. I just opened ALL ports on the dedicated box and I was still the only one able to connect. This is blowing my mind

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2016
  2. My guess is that the ports are not open. If u can connect via "Local Network" that means the installation and configuration is working or your wouldn't be able to join/see it. Port forwarding is a pain to everyone and you just have to keep trying maybe change the ports if you want to try that. You can check the port checker here Open Port Check Tool

If you think you may not have setup the server properly view this guide:
    Steam Community :: Guide :: How To Create Your Very Own Rust Server! + Oxide 2 Guide

Good luck with the server!

3. Once again, I am able to connect on MY PC to the dedicated server. Even if I close out of the remote session I can still connect
    The tool you linked for the "Open Port Check Tool" both came back as a success for 28015 and 28016.

I truly does blow my mind why others can't

I've tried other ports (28035/45) as well and the same problem occurs.

4. What Ip are you giving to the players? your IPv4? or your public one? which can be here What Is My IP - The IP Address Experts - WhatIsMyIP.com ®

5. It appears they are both the same 158.69.123.XX is what is being given.
    I am able to connect using that IP via my machine, I don't see why they can't.

I'm obviously not giving my IPv6

6. Hmm strange, when you port forward did you use your IPv4? and check too it changes sometimes

7. I'm using Windows Firewall with Advanced Settings, not some shitty default gateway browser router thing.
    This is enterprise hosting we are talking about, not home networks.

Here is a picture of the software in case you aren't sure what I'm referring to
    Screenshot

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2016
  8. All I can think that may be stopping it is the port forwarding, but they are open. I can't work out what might cause this. Sorry

9. Your effort is appreciated.

10. I'll stick with it, Maybe something will pop out soon

11. Going a bit on a wild guess here because you are able to connect just fine, but have you tried setting the +server.ip to your server's public ip in the startup commandline instead of using 0.0.0.0?

And regarding others not being able to connect, do you know which error they receive? And do you see anything in the console/logs of the user failing to connect?

12. Yes, I was originally doing that however I read somewhere that you can't set the IP in the commandline. I think it was a post by Wulf. I can try that again though.

The error they are getting is "Connection attempt failed" as if no information is being sent back from the server. Which would lead me to the ports issue, but I've tested the ports in every known way and they come back fine. There is NO errors in the console

I will edit this post once I have tried putting the server IP in there.

13. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

You can use any variable in the command-line. You may have saw me say that you can't use an external IP if you are behind a router that isn't actually assigned to the machine, but you can set the IP. 0.0.0.0 would bind to any/all available network interfaces that your machine has, which is what most do.

14. Yea, I didn't look to long as I was pretty exhausted from yesterday.

Setting the IP did not work, going to try a few new IP/Port combinations

You have any other ideas?
    Hell, if you had time I would love to do a teamview meeting session with you.

15. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

It doesn't make sense that you'd be able to connect and not them, are you using a VPN or local the server in any way?

16. Tell me about it, my mind is mush.
    No, I thought about using HyperV but instead just went straight from the C drive. I was too lazy to order new IPS and set it up.
    Plus I only plan on hosting 2 game servers and nothing else on it (Only a $99 dedi) so wasn't too worried about that whole nonsense.

Im going to try some things and see where I get.
    I'll be sure to update you all.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1454190667,1454084840][/DOUBLEPOST]So here was the fix;

I had to change the port from 28015/16 -> 28035/36 . After doing that the server still did not appear on the list. However after changing it back it suddenly was able to be joined by everyone again.

Not sure if the server was failing to bind to the port, and then after giving up and trying a new port it reset itself or what. Just a weird shadow bug that was hard to find and solve.

I did nothing else besides that, but it worked in the end so that is what matters.

17. I have the same issue and the fix doesn't work :(

18. I had that same issue. I fixed by changing the permissions of User to full control on the rust server folder, then you rename your appmanifest then run the steamcmd again.

19. uhm lol how do i do that lol?