1. Hello,

I recently rented another Rust server and this time it has people playing so I might wanna keep it. Now as a noob server owner I don't really know how this is gonna work and how it will affect the server.

Every first thursday of every month there is a forced wipe around 10 to 12pm cet. Is this correct?

Right now I tell people it's "forced wipe only" but I might wanna make it every 2 weeks or even every single week since that might keep things more fresh and active. But how is this all gonna work?

I rent a server and survivalservers and it is setup for: "Rust update - Only If Needed" and the mod is obviously set to Oxide.

So when the server gets wiped.. it will reinstall Oxide or just disable it? How do I keep everything working and automated when i'm not there? I don't wanna have server downtime because I don't know any better.

Many thanks for helping out!

Also will I get a new random server seed when this happens? The mapsize probably stays the same but what about the seed?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2017
  2. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Oxide would have to be re-installed after each game update, but you should wait for a compatible build to be released before trying to install Oxide. Because of this, you likely won't be able to setup any scripting for it unless the script or plugin (ie. Smooth Restarter) is setup to detect when an Oxide build is released after the game update.

3. Thanks

So after a wipe your server does come online, but it's vanilla? And does the seed get randomized or does that depend on server host since that's more of a rust vanilla feature?

But as for oxide, it gets updated after a server wipe, but I have to check manually and once it's there install it and copy all the plugins + configs etc back to the server or is there any way to automatise this process?

Thanks again

4. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

The server would be vanilla until you install the compatible build. The seed is set by you generally, so it wouldn't change unless you either change it or don't have one set. If you want to automate updating Oxide, then I would suggest using a plugin such as Smooth Restarter and not manually triggering your server to update until an Oxide update is released for it.

5. Ok so worst case scenario your server is a day long vanilla? :p I can live with that i'm happy the server isn't gonna get downtime and I guess oxide is updated pretty frequently.

About the seed: I think I had a default one set but later changed it because I didnt like that map, currently it's the seed I set. Lol it's actually "1". But I don't see any options in my server host control panel, so i'm still not sure if I would get a new one when the server is forced wipe. I do hope it will be a new one though since it keeps things fresh.

And if people decide to do more wipes than only the forced wipe every first thurdsday of every month, they just do it manually?

6. You stop server update it install oxide start server is never has to be vanilla

7. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

We generally try to get an update out in under an hour if we're around, but unless you want to run as vanilla you'd want to wait for an Oxide update to be released for that Rust update, otherwise you'd likely be breaking your server by trying to update it before it is compatible.

For the seed, that's something you'd need to talk to your host about, but you should be able to set a new one via your server.cfg file or command-line.

Wipes are generally only forced once per month, but pretty sure there are methods to restore the map after a forced wipe. Any other wipes are done by you generally.

8. How do we know when a new version is out?

9. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

By viewing the Changelog generally.

10. So I can check the changelog every Thursday to know when I can install the latest version of Oxide for my server?

11. Ok so I had my first downtime today with the new rust update.

I got messaged on steam that my server was down while it said it was online in the control panel. I had the settings set to "Rust update - Only when needed" but now I have changed it to "Rust update - Yes run update".

This kinda scares me because I still had like 6 hours of downtime right after a manual wipe I did yesterday. :(

I guess running a modded rust server is quite the task and you have to check it regularely. I'm just confused why my server was showing up as online when people who tried to connect got kicked with the error that the server needed to be updated.

After I changed the settings it did came online, but as vanilla. Then I restarted the server with "Server mod - No mod" and then I restarted it again with "Server mod - Oxide" and it seems to be working again.

I just wish there was any way to automatise this process. I probably still need to learn more too though.