1. Hi,

I have just intalled my dedicated server and Oxide 2. The server starts with no errors and I can see it in the modded server list. But I cannot connect to it, I get "connection attempt failed". I'm using a router, and I've got both port 28015 and 28016 UDP and TCP forwarded, and both ports open in Windows 10 firewall. Any ideas?

2. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Are you hosting the server on the same computer that your client is on? Did you set +server.ip to something other than 0.0.0.0?

3. Yes I am playing on the same computer. I did not change the IP, it's 0.0.0.0

Also, I can connect if I type client.connect 127.0.0.1:28015 in console

4. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Are you getting any errors on the server when connecting? Have you tried "connect localhost:28015" in your F1 console?

5. Yes, "connect localhost:28015" works.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1445534000,1445496600][/DOUBLEPOST]I don't see anything in the log when I try to connect from the modded server list.

6. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

It sounds like the server isn't fully accessible outside of your local network then.

7. Yeah, well, I'm trying to find out why, but I have no idea... everything seems to be setup OK.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1445536353][/DOUBLEPOST]could you do me a favor and try to connect to my server from the modded server list? The name is "Exos Land Test"
    [DOUBLEPOST=1445636441,1445535973][/DOUBLEPOST]Anyways, people outside CAN access my server, so I guess problem solved. I need to connect to localhost.

On a side note, I keep getting these warnings from the server : TimeWarning: AIHandler.Cycle took 0.15 seconds (149 ms)

Is this bad?

8. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

The TimeWarnings are common, there are thread's about that.

For your localhost issue, could you show me your startup script?

9. Here you go (note that I was using another script before this one, and the problem was the same):
    Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    :_LOOPCLSECHO.
    ECHO.
    ECHO.       =================================================
    ECHO.       =                                               =
    ECHO.       =            Rustide v1.0.8 by Jarsky           =
    ECHO.       =   This script auto updates Rust + Oxide Mod   =
    ECHO.       =             Updated 14 August 2015            =
    ECHO.       =================================================
    ECHO.
    ECHO.REM :: SET YOUR SERVER SETTINGS HERE
    REM :: YOU MUST CHANGE THE RCON PASSWORDset _hostname="The Walking Bled QC/FR |Hunt|remove|stacks|no decay|clans"
    set _ident="rustide"
    set _port="28015"
    set _rport="28016"
    set _rcon="*******"
    set _players="50"
    set _level="Procedural Map"
    set _seed="119"
    set _worldsize="4000"
    set _serverimg="http://i.imgur.com/yHWZSYQ.png"
    set _serverurl="www.oxidemod.org"
    set _serverdesc="Welcome to our Rustide server!"REM :: HERE ARE SOME MORE ADVANCED SETTINGSset _autostart=YES
    set _autorestart=NO
    set _autoupdate=YES
    set _forceupdate=NO
    set _savebackup=YES
    set _maxbackups=10
    set _backuploc=.\backupsREM :: DO NOT EDIT BELOW THIS LINE UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOURE DOINGPING 127.0.0.1 -n 5 >NUL 2>&1 || PING ::1 -n 5 >NUL 2>&1
    IF "%_rcon%"==""rust123"" (GOTO _RKILL)
    IF "%_autoupdate%"=="NO" (
    GOTO _BACKUP
    ) ELSE (
    IF "%_forceupdate%"=="YES" (
    GOTO _UPDATE
    ) ELSE (
    GOTO _CHECK)):_CHECK
    REM ++Check if Process Running before updating++
    TASKLIST /FI "IMAGENAME eq RustDedicated.exe" 2>NUL | FIND /I /N "RustDedicated.exe">NUL
    IF "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" (
    ECHO. ANOTHER RUST IS RUNNING - UPDATE SKIPPED.
    PING 127.0.0.1 -n 30 >NUL 2>&1 || PING ::1 -n 5 >NUL 2>&1
    ECHO. SERVER WILL CONTINUE STARTING SOON...
    PING 127.0.0.1 -n 60 >NUL 2>&1 || PING ::1 -n 5 >NUL 2>&1
    GOTO _BACKUP
    )REM ++Update Rust Install++
    IF EXIST .\SteamCMD GOTO _UPDATE
    wget.exe https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/client/installer/steamcmd.zip --no-check-certificate
    7za.exe x .\steamcmd.zip -oSteamCMD -y
    DEL .\steamcmd.zip /q:_UPDATE
    ECHO    Initiating Rust Update
    .\SteamCMD\steamcmd.exe    +login anonymous +force_install_dir ../Rust +app_update 258550 -beta experimental validate +quitREM ++Get the Oxide Files++
    IF EXIST    .\Oxide-Rust\ {
    DEL .\Oxide-Rust\*.* /q
    RMDIR /s /q .\Oxide-Rust
    }:_OXIDEUPDATE
    wget.exe -w 3 https://github.com/OxideMod/Snapshots/blob/master/Oxide-Rust.zip?raw=true --no-check-certificate --no-proxyIF EXIST .\Oxide-Rust.zip (GOTO _BACKUP) ELSE GOTO _OXIDEUPDATEREM ++Check for the server and make a backup++:_BACKUP
    7za.exe x .\Oxide-Rust.zip -o* -y
    DEL .\Oxide-Rust.zip /q
    IF EXIST .\backup {
    DEL .\backup\*.* /q
    RMDIR /s /q .\backup
    }
    MKDIR .\backup
    IF EXIST .\rust\backup\0\ XCOPY /i /s /q /y .\rust\backup\*.* .\backup\backup
    XCOPY /i /s /q /y .\rust\server\%_ident%\*.* .\backup\server\%_ident%\
    REM ::pUT ANY OTHER FILES TO COPY HERE::
    REM ::--------------------------------::REM ::--------------------------------::IF "%_savebackup%"=="NO" (GOTO _BUILD)
    IF EXIST .\backup\server\%_ident%\oxide\data\*.json (GOTO _ZIP) ELSE GOTO _BUILD
    :_ZIP
    7za.exe a -r "%_backuploc%\backup_%_ident%-%DATE:~7,2%.%DATE:~4,2%.%DATE:~-4%-%TIME:~0,2%.%TIME:~3,2%".zip .\backup
    FOR /F "SKIP=%_maxbackups% EOL=: DELIMS=" %%F IN ('DIR /b /o-d %_backuploc%\backup_%_ident%-*.zip') DO @DEL "%_backuploc%\%%F":_BUILD
    IF EXIST .\temp RMDIR /s /q .\temp
    MOVE .\backup temp
    XCOPY /s /q /y .\Oxide-Rust .\temp
    IF EXIST .\temp XCOPY /s /q /y .\temp .\rust
    RMDIR /s /q .\Oxide-Rust
    IF EXIST .\temp RMDIR /s /q .\tempIF "%_autostart%"=="YES" (GOTO _RUN)SET /P ANSWER=Do you want to start Rust (Y/N)?
    if /i {%ANSWER%}=={y} (GOTO _RUN)
    if /i {%ANSWER%}=={yes} (GOTO _RUN)
    GOTO _NORUN:_RUN
    PUSHD rust
    .\RustDedicated.exe -batchmode +server.hostname %_hostname% +server.port %_port% +server.identity %_ident% +server.maxplayers %_players% +rcon.port %_rport% +rcon.password %_rcon% +rcon.ip 0.0.0.0 +server.saveinterval 900 +server.level %_level% +server.seed %_seed% +server.url %_serverurl% +server.headerimage %_serverimg% +server.description %_serverdesc% +server.globalchat true +server.worldsize %_worldsize% +cfg "server\%_ident%\cfg\server.cfg" -autoupdate
    IF "%_autorestart%"=="NO" {
    POPD
    CLS
    ECHO. Server %_hostname% will restart on port %_port%
    PING 127.0.0.1 -n 5 >NUL 2>&1 || PING ::1 -n 5 >NUL 2>&1
    GOTO _LOOP
    }EXIT:_NORUN
    CLS
    ECHO.     UPDATING HAS FINISHED BUT YOU HAVE DISABLED AUTOSTART   
    PAUSE
    EXIT:_RKILL
    CLS
    ECHO.    ****YOU MUST CHANGE THE RCON PASSWORD TO RUN****
    PAUSE
    EXIT

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2015
  10. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Try running the server directly and see if it works.

11. uh.. what do you mean directly? Without a .bat file? Sorry for my ignorance.

12. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

Yes, without your .bat, or using our _start-example.bat.

13. I did try with the _start-example.bat and got the same result. I cannot connect from the servers list. But that's ok, as long as I can connect to localhost, and people can connect too.

14. Try portforwarding the UDP only.

15. I've tried it.. no success. There isn't anything in the server log either, no trace of me when I try the server list.

16. i have same problem

17. My friend cant connect :( it sais Connection attempt failed connect localhost:28015 and client.connect localhost:28015 do not work does anyone know whats going on yet?

18. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

If your friend in the same PC as you? That is your local machine method of connection, not remote friends. Get your external/public IP for your friend.

19. I have this same issue, it works fine for friends connecting from the outside, it works fine for me connecting to localhost or 127.0.0.1 in console, but i can't connect trough the server list without getting "Connection Attempt failed"