Better Chat

Customize chat colors, formatting, prefix and more

Total Downloads: 21,417 - First Release: Apr 21, 2015 - Last Update: Oct 2, 2017

4.98925/5, 93 likes
  1. ☢SilverPony☢

☢SilverPony☢ Scavenger

Iam having a problem.... BetterChat does not even work for me. whenever i type something it looks like this: [Owner] [Player] (my username) and i have configured it.... worked in the old BetterChat.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 12, 2017 ---
    Well this...

2. Resistance

Resistance Grenade Master

Read other posts and you will see what you need to do

3. UnTwitchAble

UnTwitchAble Naked Wanderer

LaserHydra when im trying to install the Newtonsoft.json.dll after the installation the is complete and successful when i press the button to start it and create a desktop short cut it crushed allmost instantly.

4. LaserHydra

LaserHydra Grenade Master Plugin Developer

Looks like a incompatibility with windows 10. Fix is planned.

5. ChaosToaster

ChaosToaster Naked Wanderer

I´ve checked both json Files, Data and cfg. Both are Valid so i dont make misfaults.

6. TheBackWardMan

TheBackWardMan Naked Wanderer

(10:00:23) | [Better Chat] Error when trying to get third-party title from plugin 'Oxide.Plugins.PlayerChallenges'

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at Oxide.Plugins.PlayerChallenges.GetPlayerTitles (IPlayer player) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Oxide.Plugins.BetterChat+ChatGroup.FormatMessage (IPlayer player, System.String message) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

7. yannick10012

yannick10012 Shack Builder

Any way to show clannames icw betterchat?

8. ChaosToaster

ChaosToaster Naked Wanderer

After makes the new Update to the newest Oxide Version i found this, every player writes a message:

Code (Text):
    22:01 [Error] Failed to call hook 'OnUserChat' on plugin 'BetterChat v5.0.11' (NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object)
    22:01 [Stacktrace]   at Oxide.Plugins.BetterChat.OnUserChat (IPlayer player, System.String message) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
      at Oxide.Plugins.BetterChat.DirectCallHook (System.String name, System.Object& ret, System.Object[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
      at Oxide.Plugins.CSharpPlugin.InvokeMethod (HookMethod method, System.Object[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
      at Oxide.Core.Plugins.CSPlugin.OnCallHook (System.String name, System.Object[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
      at Oxide.Core.Plugins.Plugin.CallHook (System.String hook, System.Object[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

9. Deathstroke 5

Deathstroke 5 Naked Wanderer

We can change font size for every group.. thats good. But i didnt find how to change size for messages from players that dont have any group. I mean that all messages are 13 size beside the messages from no group players (15 size default). How to change?

10. Togoshige

Togoshige Shack Builder Plugin Developer

/ignore name

last seen in Betterchat Version 4.2.12, Nov 3 2016
    I dug it up and am trying to make an ignore plugin ---> Universal - Ignore chat | Oxide

But Im not sure if Ill be able to use BetterChat and Ignore plugin at same time ----> Hook Order - Multiple Plugins Using Same Hook, Which Order? | Oxide

@LaserHydra Would you help me add support for Ignore API in BetterChat like Private Messages plugin -------> Private Messaging for Rust | Oxide

How to pull in/use Ignore API -----> Ignore API for Rust | Oxide
    Code (Text):
    [PluginReference]
    private Plugin Ignore;

var hasIgnore = Ignore?.CallHook("HasIgnored", p.userID, player.userID);
    if (hasIgnore != null && (bool) hasIgnore)
    BetterChat OnUserChat() hook
    Code (Text):
    #if RUST
    ConsoleNetwork.BroadcastToAllClients("chat.add", new object[] { player.Id, output.Chat });
    This BroadCastToAllClients() function would need to get changed to take into effect ignore lists

Anyone know how we should change the code here ^?
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 16, 2017 ---
    BetterChat OnUserChat() v4.2.12

This is how previous version with /ignore ability sent messages

Code (Text):
    foreach (IPlayer current in players.Connected)
        if (!pl.Ignored(current))
        {
            BasePlayer currentPlayer = current.GetBasePlayer();
            if (currentPlayer != null)
                rust.SendChatMessage(currentPlayer, Group.Format(player, message), null, player.Id);
        }

11. JAJEDE

JAJEDE Scavenger

Hey dude, could you add any anti-flood to betterchat?
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 16, 2017 ---
    How betterchat doesn't have anti-flood, it is default in Rust chat system...

12. Togoshige

Togoshige Shack Builder Plugin Developer

@JAJEDE This plugin used to have anti chat flood, but that got removed/unsupported too
    Theres another anti chat flood system but to my knowledge cant co-exist with BetterChat, AntiChatFlood -----> AntiChatFlood for Rust | Oxide
    Ignore capability is higher on my priority list than Anti Flood, but still on my list ;)

JAJEDE likes this.
  13. JAJEDE

JAJEDE Scavenger

Thanks dude, I'll be waiting for your Anti-Flood

14. Yanisin

Yanisin Naked Wanderer

I am sure this has been answered in some of the many pages here but I couldn't find an answer in a hurry so I take a chance and ask: What is the problem when both BetterChat and regular chat shows up so that I have to chat lines with same message everytime someone says something?

15. GhostPLKR

GhostPLKR Scavenger

Hi. How to check the permissions assigned to a group? View permission list.

16. Yanisin

Yanisin Naked Wanderer

Thanks I will try that but as far as I can understand Bettechat don't need permissions otherr than for:
    • betterchat.admin for the /chat command
    So it seems weird that this causes the vanilla messages to be posted after message from BetterChat? I thought it had to do with vanilla chat wasn't disabled. BetterChat itself works fine, just that I get a similar post via vanilla chat after the BetterChat one.

17. sanchesster

sanchesster Wood Hoarder

After update to Version 5.0.11
    Code (Text):
    Failed to call hook 'OnBetterChat' on plugin 'Quests v2.2.2' (InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.)
    Failed to call hook 'OnBetterChat' on plugin 'BetterChatMute v1.0.5' (InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.)

18. Resistance

both your plugins are out of date update to latest

sanchesster likes this.
  19. Caboose Rooster

Caboose Rooster Naked Wanderer

If I want a vip permission group is there anyway I can use that for the chat group so I don't have to add my VIPs to both the permission group and chat group separately?

20. Resistance

You seem to have got this mixed up with another plugin you just make a group called vip and make a group in the betterchat.json then add the player to it they will have the title you set in the betterchat file