Rust Arena standalone

Discussion in 'Plugin Requests' started by Ray Meres, May 4, 2015.

1. Requesting an all in one arena plugin that does not require 4 plugins to work.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2015
  2. just out of curiosity, what kind of functions would you exactly require in a plugin like this?

btw: i've read the description of the arena plugin, the installation is documented and seems pretty straightforward. even if anyone writes you your plugin it will take some time, and you could probably start having fun in 15 minutes if you try.

3. @Ray Meres while it is possible to do something like that in one plugin, it isn't recommended as it would grow too big to properly maintain it. Another upside on having it split up is performance. A silly example is the DeadPlayersList plugin which is a plugin that only stores dead players to a file for other plugins to use it. A few plugins use it as dependency to grab these players, and while they could just do everything in the same plugin it would be stupid as you would eventually have dozens of plugins saving the same data. This also goes for the Event Manager, with its dependencies. While you could have the plugins handle the loadout and other aspects of the system it would be silly to do so as most servers have at least one of the dependencies running (Kits). The reason that it is split up into multiple plugins is also for future development of the plugin. It allows plugin developers to easily write their own arena match types without having to handle everything.

4. Respectfully disagree. There were plenty of all-in-one type plugins for legacy so I don't see why it should be such a problem to make a simple arena plugin for the new rust. 1 dependance is fine but the arena plugin by Reneb is dependent on 3 other plugins! That is way too many in my opinion. Kits should be an option not a requirement. What if we want people to bring there own gear to the arena? As for maintaining plugins, It's common sense that less plugins would be easier to maintain than more plugins.

5. lol,
    well just look at the number of hours / lines of code for each plugin that it's dependent on ...
    it's just not possible to make a clean plugin without dependencies for those kind of plugins.
    all in one plugins in legacy were a pain in the ass, we all chose to NOT make those kind of plugins, keeping the codes clean, and easily usable by external plugins.
    My arena plugin isn't finished, it's in beta test, testing how everything works.
    As for what you want, you could VERY VERY easily make a new plugin where players have only 1 life and spawn with there own gears in the arena. as the Arena Deathmatch calls to strip the inventories of players then give them the new kits (you can just remove those lines and players will join with there own gears ... only problem is that if they die they won't get a new gear, but again if you have only 1 life it doesn't matter)

All in one plugins will never give you what you want ... and if you want to edit the plugin, well good luck you just have to rewrite most of it ... here you just have to make a new plugins with just a few lines and you get your 1 life arena with your own gear.

6. Ok but I think you should at least consider merging Spawns Database with Event Manager. It is completely unnecessary for them to be separate.

7. spawns database is used by multiple plugins, so no ... what's the matter in downloading even 4 dependencies ... the configs will be as annoying anyway ...

8. Remember raviolization can be as bad as spaghettization :) All-in-one plugins can work if done right. And since you know what kind of things you gonna handle you can optimize it better. Not to mention that personally I would MUCH rather be fixing one plugin when Garry suddenly decides half of the Api has to be changed (you know it's gonna happen sooner or later). There are better chances (i think) that someone will take over the dev of the bug plugin if the original author goes missing, while small plugins will slowly rot away, giving headaches to ppl that depended on them.

9. Wulf

Wulf Community Admin

You're more likely to have more issues in larger plugins; and if one thing breaks, every feature in the plugin breaks. The point of plugins is to be modular, not all-inclusive like other mods such as RustEssentials, etc. Your typical user will not know how to fix a plugin either, whether it be a bloated aio plugin or individual plugins.

10. small plugins are easier to support and get fixed by other devs ;)
    big plugins never get supported by other devs.
    and by fixing 1 plugin you fix also multiple ones by that

11. Modular is fine when there is only like one dependence, IE the main plugin which the others rely on. But when you start having 4 other dependencies this causes headache for server owners who don't want hundreds of plugins.

12. lol what you don't understand is that by making dependencies like that you reduce in the end the total amount of CODELINES that make the server lag ...
    by doing plugins with small dependencies you might have more plugins, but with way less codes, and in global you will gain in performance

13. I don't see why merging certain dependencies together would require more code. C sharp is an efficient and smart programming language, it's about utilizing it properly.

14. and yeah ... exacly ... fixing 1 plugin ...
    if you have 10 plugins doing the same thing (the example of the deadplayerlist is one) if suddenly it breaks, you have to fix 10 plugins ... but with the stand alone deadplayerlist you just have to fix this plugin and it will fix all the other plugins ...
    it's the same for this one ...
    [DOUBLEPOST=1430777836][/DOUBLEPOST]
    because ... if you want to use the Arena and the Jail plugin you would have x2 Spawn Manager plugins ... 1 in both plugin ... 400 lines of code each more, so in this case 400 lines of useless code that could have been saved by making a spawn manager dependencie called by both plugin.
    + if someone wants to use the spawn manager for futur plugins, he can ... without having to again add 400 lines of code ... gains time and space to do it like that

15. I see your point. Still, I believe properly written all-in-one can bring more advantages than disadvantages. No point discussing it though, I will try to convince you with code one day :).

wait, i know i have little experience with oxide, but this can't be right. if you have a subroutine it will take the same amount of cpu cycles and time no matter if it's in your plugin on some other. if you have the same subroutine in two plugins you get redundancies in your code sure, but apart from extra memory on init i don't see where the performance penalty would come from?

nice attitude. how about you utilize this smart and efficient programming language properly then and merge those dependencies together if you need it so badly, or stop bitching about having to copy 4 extra files to utilize someone's HOURS of work that you got for free...

16. All in one plugins are for server owners who don't want to spend the time going through multiple configs to get all the settings correct. Which is fine, it makes it easier on the server owners who are not very technical. The problem though is these all in one plugins are ALL IN ONE, you get everything and maybe you just want a small piece. Modular plugins are easier to maintain and normally serve just one function. These modular plugins can be combined together to give an overall better configured server than an all in one plugin would give. I don't foresee someone spending their time creating this monstrous all in one plugins unless they copy code from every one of the individual plugins serving the same function.

17. Or you could add the spawns code to event manager which the additional add-on plugins like arena/deathmatch/teamdeathmatch would call.

I am not against modular plugins. I am against modular plugins that require multiple dependent plugins for core functionality.

18. it would be absude that the Jail plugin need the EventManager core plugin to work ...

19. Can you clarify whether Jail plugin is like a minecraft type prison plugin or is it where people are sent if they break rules?

20. i have never played minecraft
    jail plugin is where you send people that you use: /jail PLAYER
    you can jail for what ever reason yo want, breaking rules included ^^