Request A unified chat layer

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Axy, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Axy

Axy

I've realized that all plugins that reach chat (andpost it themselves) cause multiple message posting issues. There are some really good plugins, but all of them wants to reach and modify the chat. As a user, I'm needing to make a pick between those.

For instance, notifier and chathandler plugins, both are necessary, but both are chat-posting.

So I'm wondering: would it be possible to create a plugin that will create an abstract chat layer, and all other plugins would reach to this plugin when they needed to modify/send chat messages. This could even be part of oxide itself, so that handling chat would be easier with multiple plugins running at the same time.

This way, the output would be single no matter what.

What do you think?

2. would be much better, like we did for teleportation / arena / kits / zone manager
    kits and teleportation calls all plugins to make sure none of them is blocking the kits/teleportation

3. Axy

Axy

Okay great!
    <3

4. (but i never made any chat plugins and not going to ^^ just giving some ideas to dev who would be tempted in making so)

5. This isn't as easy as that though because all 3 plugins currently send their own console command to send the chat message. Ideally the hook shouldn't be used to manipulate the chat in such a way that it needs to interrupt the normal behaviour and send the chat message manually. I know that if you want to change the color of a name this is however required, but in all other cases it is not.
    I honestly also don't see why there should be 3 different plugins that change the color of names in chat, this could easily be handled by one plugin. And if you're using both notifier & chathandler right now, I believe notifier has an option to disable the part of the plugin that is actually conflicting with posting to the chat with chathandler..

6. Axy

Axy

@Mughisi yes my proposal is coming from that direction (and those two plugins).
    I wasn't abl to turn the chat manipulation off through notified, but I'll relook into it (if it's possible I'd be happy).

But more than that, as a structure, I was thinking that a more unified system could be made for what, not for chat coloring only I can see that not just those three but many plugins are trying to manipulate chat messages, and causing duplicates.

7. Plugins who simply want to change names dont need to cancel OnPlayerChat. Its only needed if manipulating the chat messages itself.
    There are standalone plugins for most of the Notifier features too.
    I tried to cover all needed chat moderation tools in ChatHandler to make chat administration easier. If another dev decides to make another chat moderation kind of plugin its fine but there is no need for users to have both then.